Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

John Sullivan's 'Dear John'

Old 28-08-2012, 12:12
TheBaronSpell
Forum Member

Recently read 'Only Fools - The Official Inside Story' which reminded me that I had never seen 'Dear John' one of John Sullivan's other sitcoms.

Remembered that I had brought the boxset as a Christmas present for my Mum two years ago and dug it out last night through boredom as much as being enticed by the Only Fools book.

Shame it's not repeated on TV, I'm 22 and think it's very underrated. Haven't laughed so much in ages. I've seen Citizen Smith etc so I really can't believe I hadn't got round to seeing Dear John starring Ralph Bates and Belinda Lang before.
TheBaronSpell is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 28-08-2012, 12:25
hardeep
Forum Member

Recently read 'Only Fools - The Official Inside Story' which reminded me that I had never seen 'Dear John' one of John Sullivan's other sitcoms.

Remembered that I had brought the boxset as a Christmas present for my Mum two years ago and dug it out last night through boredom as much as being enticed by the Only Fools book.

Shame it's not repeated on TV, I'm 22 and think it's very underrated. Haven't laughed so much in ages. I've seen Citizen Smith etc so I really can't believe I hadn't got round to seeing Dear John starring Ralph Bates and Belinda Lang before.
It was a fun little show - "any sexual problems?" still makes me smile

However I would say the funniest bit from the entire series - for me - was from the very first episode when John is walking across a school field as some pupils are jogging past and is greeted with a casual "Morning Sir" from the girl he was chatting up the previous night - priceless
hardeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2012, 13:00
Trappedin80's
Forum Member

I used to watch it in the 80's, loved it.

Great show.
Trappedin80's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2012, 13:16
Tangledweb7
Forum Member

Ah found memories of Kirk and his medalion
Tangledweb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2012, 13:19
philman1975
Forum Member

It was a great show - I'd love to see it again. Are they repeating it again soon as I missed the last run on Gold.
philman1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2012, 13:20
Glawster2002
Forum Member

I did read that Ralph Bates never forgave the BBC for cancelling Dear John, especially as they then started to show the American version instead!
Glawster2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2012, 23:36
ilovecorrie2
Forum Member

Ah found memories of Kirk and his medalion
Yeah but that episode where it was discovered he lived with his mum was really sad as was his wish to get a date with Kate that never materialised. The episode where John spent Christmas with his neighbour Mrs Lemenski was also sad as was the one where the failed rock star came back to do a show. I remember it as more sad than funny. I'm all for a bit of pathos in a sitcom but comedy really shouldn't be that sad.
ilovecorrie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 00:16
Styker
Forum Member

I love it. I bought the DVD last year and I wish it lasted more than 2 series. Ralph Bates's daughter Daisy was that very pretty actress who played John Thaw's daughter in Kavanagh QC. It would be good to see her on TV again and often!
Styker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 00:18
Styker
Forum Member

Yeah but that episode where it was discovered he lived with his mum was really sad as was his wish to get a date with Kate that never materialised. The episode where John spent Christmas with his neighbour Mrs Lemenski was also sad as was the one where the failed rock star came back to do a show. I remember it as more sad than funny. I'm all for a bit of pathos in a sitcom but comedy really shouldn't be that sad.
Didn't Kirk get with Kate in the episode, an Xmas special i think when he beat up the thugs/Hell's Angells in the pub? Didn't he get to walk with his arm around her and she seemed quite happy with him?
Old 29-08-2012, 00:23
Phyllis Stein
Forum Member

That's how I remember it as well, pretty bleak stuff, more bitter than sweet. Wonder what are take on it would be now, all these years later.
Phyllis Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 00:32
Styker
Forum Member

That's how I remember it as well, pretty bleak stuff, more bitter than sweet. Wonder what are take on it would be now, all these years later.
If it was shown now even as a repeat let alone as a brand new show it would be/have been massive.

The Green Green Grass which wasn't that good imo went down well and that was mainly out of loyalty i reckon. I loved Boycie so I didn't mind it at all and would like to see more.

They should maybe resurect this programme (Dear John) for todays age. They remake films, why not programmes?
Old 29-08-2012, 05:59
Westy2
Forum Member

The failed rock star was played by Kevin Lloyd ISTR.
Westy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 08:11
steven1977
Inactive Member

I never saw the appeal to it. I remember watching it years ago on Sky but didnt really entertain me.

Then again ive always hated that geoff Palmer sitcom Butterflies.
steven1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 08:24
steveh31
Forum Member

It's been repeated umpteen times on GOLD in the last year.
steveh31 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 08:32
goldlistener
Forum Member

Dear John was repeated on Sky's Comedy Channel donkeys years ago then enjoyed many repeats on the old UK Gold. It wasnt shown for years then low and behold in the last 12 months or so it has been shown loads of timeson GOLD.

I actually found it quite funny watching it all over again, Ralph Bates was a great actor, sadly died far too young.
goldlistener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 09:55
Glengavel
Inactive Member

I never saw the appeal to it. I remember watching it years ago on Sky but didnt really entertain me.

Well, it wasn't "his" sitcom, but he was the best thing in it.
Glengavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 12:31
EML
Forum Member

I've used the "And were there any (pause) sexual problems?" often with my friends!
EML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 12:33
steveh31
Forum Member

Only issue is GOLD won't show the final Christmas special episode just the two series.
steveh31 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 13:07
StressMonkey
Forum Member

The episode where John goes to Ralph's and they talk about an awful holiday Ralph had had where some thugs had tipped over his caravan, the Kirk comes round and Kirk tells about a great holiday where they tipped over someones caravan......

What made me nearly wet myself was when John borrows Raph's electric shaver then drops it in the terrapin tank

There was a lot more to it - but it was all in the build up

Haven't seen that episode since it's original air date but have seen most of the other episodes on Gold.
StressMonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 13:08
StressMonkey
Forum Member

So did I, but I loved Dear John. Very different humour.
StressMonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 13:11
revans9
Forum Member

in an act of absolutely shameless self-promotion, can i just say i am currently selling my video boxset of the show. and it includes the christmas special! vhs videos eh, remember them?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dear-John-...item20ca869559
revans9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 13:27
zackai48
Forum Member

If it was shown now even as a repeat let alone as a brand new show it would be/have been massive.

The Green Green Grass which wasn't that good imo went down well and that was mainly out of loyalty i reckon. I loved Boycie so I didn't mind it at all and would like to see more.

They should maybe resurect this programme (Dear John) for todays age. They remake films, why not programmes?
Only thing against this idea is that the genius who created the show (John Sullivan) is no longer with us.
zackai48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 14:04
Tangledweb7
Forum Member

I remember that one. There were times when it could be depressing but then you think of the classic line "Any sexual problems" and it makes you smile. (Well me anyway).
Tangledweb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 14:18
steven1977
Inactive Member

Well, it wasn't "his" sitcom, but he was the best thing in it.
How is a woman going astray supposed to be funny?
steven1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 17:53
Styker
Forum Member

I've used the "And were there any (pause) sexual problems?" often with my friends!

How many times do they say yes? I love the phrase from The Rise and Fall Of Reginald Perrin...." I didn't get where I am today".........brilliant one that one is!

I so should use it more!

Only thing against this idea is that the genius who created the show (John Sullivan) is no longer with us.
Yes it would need a new writer but having said that, John Sullivan gave up on writing episodes for The Green Green Grass and they where often written by other writers including his own son. There must be some quality sitcome writers out there still. Sitcoms have been the biggest victim of reality TV shows it seems and they so have to come back. TV people, make it happen!!!!!