DS Forums

A to Z of pet names? (Part 5)

Old 18-04-2015, 14:28
Tellystar
Forum Member

Why do pet owners allow pets to go on food surfaces in the kitchen, and on the owners' beds?
The thought of pets rubbing their bottoms, with poo 'd on fur, licking stuff and leaving hairs where food is prepared , or on bed linen, is repulsive to me, and no, I'm not a pet hater.
Tellystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 18-04-2015, 14:55
Ann_Tenna
Forum Member

I don't think that all pet owners allow that sort of behaviour.

I remember visiting an acquaintance once, and she and her daughter had about six cats and a dog.

The cats roamed everywhere, on all surfaces/furniture imaginable.

The woman I knew had four pieces of toast sitting on her coffee table, some of it had already been eaten, and there were cat hairs clinging to the remaining slices of toast.

I'm the least squeamish person I know, but even I was revolted!

We have free-flying birds who share our meals with us, and they are a lot cleaner than most cats are!
Ann_Tenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2015, 15:03
itsy bitsy
Forum Member

My hubby and I are pet owners and we would never dream of allowing any animals on food surfaces.

We couldn't believe it when we saw our friends putting their dogs' and cats' dishes in the dishwasher with their own crockery etc!

And once we were round my hubby's nan's for tea and she was doing a salad with hard boiled eggs. Knowing she was prone to leaving bits of shell on the eggs we tactfully suggested that it might be a good idea to rinse them under the tap using the excuse it would help to cool them. So she happily rinsed the eggs and then promptly wiped them dry on a tea towel on top of her boiler where her cat had been sitting! Needless to say neither of us ate any.
itsy bitsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2015, 15:13
Muze
Forum Member

I think you become desensitised to it, much like your own babies' crap.
I worked in a kennels and on farms for a while, so you get used to have various animal excretia in you hair and behind your fingernails lol

TBF, most well cared for animals are actually fairly clean.

My rats will climb in my mouth and groom my teeth lol

A healthy immune system should be able to deal with any nasties!
Muze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2015, 15:13
Ann_Tenna
Forum Member

Eww. Itsty Bitsy, I don't blame you.

Never mind salmonella or e-coli, who wants to eat food that's been prepared on a surface where a live animal has been?

Geesh! It reminds me of another story, but it doesn't involve an animal.

Why don't some people think?
Old 18-04-2015, 15:30
Tellystar
Forum Member

I worked in a kennels and on farms for a while, so you get used to have various animal excretia in you hair and behind your fingernails lol

Urgggh!
Wouldn't want you cooking my tea!
I went to a relative's house for a meal, and afterwards my cousin loaded the dishwasher.
Hearing his wife saying" Tiny- you aren't a dishwasher!," I peered into the kitchen, only to see the dog helpfully licking the food remains off the plates!
On the next visit, I suggested we ate out.
Old 18-04-2015, 15:30
Ann_Tenna
Forum Member

You make valid points, Muze. Thank you for posting.

I was about to become reviled when I read "animal excretia" until I realized that our free-flying birds often relieve themselves where they want to...we have to check our shoulders and hair before we go out.

And it is true that most animals are cleaner than some humanoids I know.

You have pet rats? I've read about their intelligence. Obviously, I could never adopt one as we are bird lovers here.

My late Mott the Hoople, a peach face lovebird, often gave me dental exams as well.

Little dentist

Mug blurred for my protection, and yours!
Old 18-04-2015, 15:32
Muze
Forum Member

Urgggh!
Wouldn't want you cooking my tea!
I went to a relative's house for a meal, and afterwards my cousin loaded the dishwasher.
Hearing his wife saying" Tiny- you aren't a dishwasher!," I peered into the kitchen, only to see the dog helpfully licking the food remains off the plates!
On the next visit, I suggested we ate out.
Lol.... I tend to warn unfamiliar visitors that this is very much an animal loving house, if they don't like it, they don't come in..... we don't mind.

I remember we used to get work experience girls down the farm, on the first day they be all panicking about getting poo on their boots, by the end of the week, they be picking it up with bare hands.... if you work in that environment, you have to get used to it else you really are no use !
Old 18-04-2015, 15:41
Tellystar
Forum Member

Lol.... I tend to warn unfamiliar visitors that this is very much an animal loving house, if they don't like it, they don't come in..... we don't mind.

I remember we used to get work experience girls down the farm, on the first day they be all panicking about getting poo on their boots, by the end of the week, they be picking it up with bare hands.... if you work in that environment, you have to get used to it else you really are no use !
I am referring to the home, not the farmyard! My daughter worked in an animal sanctuary, and was treading in poo all the time, plus baby monkeys pood all over her clothes, but she didn't cook and eat her meals in that environment!
I expect to eat clean food in a clean environment
If you find excrement in the wrong place acceptable , that's your choice
Old 18-04-2015, 15:48
tim59
Forum Member

Our animals dont go into the kitchen, they dont need to our back door is not in the kitchen. But yes our dog does sleep on the bed and we dont have a problem with that, well i dont, my wife has a moan because the dog takes up her side of the bed because the dog wants to sleep close to me.
tim59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2015, 16:01
radioanorak
Forum Member

Our dog is usually allowed to lick our plates clean.
The plates then get washed in the sink with the rest of the washing up.
radioanorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2015, 16:42
molliepops
Forum Member

I'm curious who has dogs with poo hanging from them on their beds or anywhere else, we deal with any accidents as they happen, always carry a wet wipe on walks in case. Consequently they are clean when they come to bed. They are not allowed on food surfaces but they do have our cups and plates but unless you don't wash up properly that is perfectly safe to do. To be honest I find dogs cleaner than some toddlers with their sticky snottiness. Now that does make me feel ill.
molliepops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2015, 17:00
Muze
Forum Member

Excrement in the wrong place?!
Lol I like that, that's the cause of all the world's problems!!

Realistically, most half decent pet owners aren't letting their dogs or cats crap in their beds and as Molliepops said, pets don't generally have poo hanging off them.

Oddly enough, I don't touch people, at all, as I worry where they have been... an altogether more sensible attitude as people may spread things I can actually catch lol
Old 18-04-2015, 17:41
riversmum
Forum Member

I'm curious who has dogs with poo hanging from them on their beds or anywhere else, we deal with any accidents as they happen, always carry a wet wipe on walks in case. Consequently they are clean when they come to bed. They are not allowed on food surfaces but they do have our cups and plates but unless you don't wash up properly that is perfectly safe to do. To be honest I find dogs cleaner than some toddlers with their sticky snottiness. Now that does make me feel ill.
Same here. I check our dogs bottoms and if they're not clean they get a wipe. I have throws on the beds so they don't actually get in them but I'm fine with them on them, there's usually one or two of our four on our bed all day and one at night.

I must admit I hate animals on the worktops, a big advantage with having dogs over cats. My friend always has paw prints on her worktops but you can't stop cats but I don't like that. They are the dishwasher pre wash cycle though!
riversmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2015, 17:52
mrsgrumpy49
Forum Member

My dog always used to sleep on top of the bed on a frequently washed throw. Nowadays she prefers her own bed and I miss her presence.
Her bottom is always very clean - she lost some fur round that area when on steroids so sometimes you can see more than you want to!
If she has had a loose stool she cleans her bottom by rubbing it along the grass.
It's friends with cats I don't get. They roam all over the worktop and the dishes (the cats not the friends!) and it grosses me out if they put their dinner dish down for the cat to lick or wash the cat dishes with their own. My dog's dishes get washed separately direct in the sink

Edit One cat owner I know says they can be trained not to go on worktops
mrsgrumpy49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2015, 18:39
Rae_Roo
Forum Member

Our cat never goes on worktops, never has... The bed however, well it's her house she can do as she pleases. She often sleeps in bed with me and the OH, snuggled under the covers to keep warm... She's an old girl of 21 so as far as I'm concerned it's her home, I couldn't care less about changing the bedding a bit more often due to a few cat hairs!

Visitors are just that, they enter your home, and your home is your own domain, where your rules stand!
Rae_Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2015, 22:40
CollieWobbles
Forum Member

I draw the line at the worktop ( though my dog would never get on there!), but I'm with Muze, you get used to your own pets and if your brought up around animals it just doesn't bother you. Snotty nosed, sticky, dribbly toddlers are far worse than dog hair and poop.

My dog does sleep on my bed, she's allowed on the sofa that has a throw on it so she can't accidentally tear the covers, and if the dinner is something like shepherds pie, yes she gets the bowl to clean out before its washed properly. She is clean, spotless and I check her thoroughly every day, so why should I mind having her on my bed?

All my pets are well kept and cared for, I certainly don't consider them 'unclean' or 'unhygienic' my chinchilla gives me kisses and I'd sooner have them off her than quite a few human beings! Most animals have cleaner habits than some people have and at least I know where my pet's been!
CollieWobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2015, 23:06
Michellerlz
Forum Member

My dog doesn't go upstairs because it's carpeted there and my daughter has asthma so her health is most important, but that doesn't bother him he has a perfectly comfy bed of his own and the run of the rest of the house, and he doesn't go on kitchen worktops obviously, but he has been known to get on the dining room table (that room gets the sun) not that I let him, but if Iv gone out and came back in a few minutes later and he wasn't expecting me Iv caught him lying there sunning himself, he's going deaf so doesn't hear me in time to get down, but I have cleaning products so no hardship and he's not dirty, although I can't put my fruit bowl there no more as he has took a liking to it in his old age and ate the contents more than once this past year.
Michellerlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2015, 23:13
Michellerlz
Forum Member

My dog always used to sleep on top of the bed on a frequently washed throw. Nowadays she prefers her own bed and I miss her presence.
Her bottom is always very clean - she lost some fur round that area when on steroids so sometimes you can see more than you want to!
If she has had a loose stool she cleans her bottom by rubbing it along the grass.
It's friends with cats I don't get. They roam all over the worktop and the dishes (the cats not the friends!) and it grosses me out if they put their dinner dish down for the cat to lick or wash the cat dishes with their own. My dog's dishes get washed separately direct in the sink

Edit One cat owner I know says they can be trained not to go on worktops
I know what you mean about seeing more than you want to and my dog hasn't even had steroids, not a pretty sight at all but at least we know it's clean
It's true about cats and worktops, my mam trained hers when it was a kitten and she never does although she might when no ones around to see.
Michellerlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 07:43
molliepops
Forum Member

When we had cats e thought they were perfect angels we had trained them not to get on the worktops even the surfaces of the side board etc were out of bounds. Then one night my husband left an ink pad open on the dining table (a surface they would never dream of getting on) well next morning we were absolutely horrified, amazed, and then found it hysterically funny because during the night they had walked through the ink pad and our work tops, side board, walls (we never worked out how they did that), window sills, and cooker top were covered in blue paw prints. Looked like they had a party in the down stairs areas over night !
Old 19-04-2015, 07:50
MarellaK
Forum Member

None of my cats have ever bothered with the kitchen work tops although they all periodically, very occasionally, jump up on the kitchen table when I'm sitting there with my cup of coffee, seeking attention (this normally happens when there's a visitor in the house - the cats like to show me up).

I never trained them not to jump up on the work tops, they just aren't interested, probably because they can do much more interesting things outdoors through the cat flap. They spend most of their indoor time sleeping, eating or being petted when I'm at home.

Two of mine sleep on my bed - but not all night because I think I annoy them with my restlessness. Millie sleeps in her cat bed. I vacuum the cat hair on the beds on a regular basis because of my asthma.

I put all my crockery together in my dishwasher, human and cats', I use a high temperature cycle and am confident this disinfects/kills any bacteria. I would never use the same washing up water if I was hand-washing dishes, which I rarely do.
MarellaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 08:31
Disnae
Forum Member

It's very hard stopping a cat from going up onto the worktops if it's determined to do so! My old cat used to love going up onto one of the worktops in my kitchen. I tried to stop her going up there but I was fighting a losing battle. I just couldn't get her to stop and in the end I gave up . I think she enjoyed the sunlight and view onto the garden and also, she liked to be up out of the way of the dogs . It was only the worktop at one side of the room, under the windows, that she went on, so I always prepared food at the other side of the room . She was old and near the end of her life and used to sleep most of the day, so in the end we had a basket in her favourite spot and basically she'd get in there and sleep all day. In her last years she didn't even roam the house or go outside but just stayed in the kitchen sleeping.
Disnae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 14:51
Shoe Lace
Forum Member

At first we were determined that the cat was not allowed on worktops and on the table. Then we decided that the area around the sink is fine, but under no circumstances is she allowed on the kitchen table. By now we just don't care any more. We just clean the surfaces before we start preparing food.

But I don't understand why washing the pets' bowls and other dishes at the same time in the dishwasher would be a problem? Surely the high temperature and the chemicals used would kill any bacteria?
Shoe Lace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 15:16
molliepops
Forum Member

There's me saying my dogs don't get on the worktops and making lunch a bit of counter surfing got Elsie Labrador a tomato and coming back from a walk we had to sort Betty Chihuahua's paw (stood in chewing gum) so up on the work top by the sink seemed easiest.
Old 19-04-2015, 15:31
Shrike
Forum Member

I just use some anti-bac spray on worktops before I start preparing food. Lets face it, in the summer there are plenty of flies around tramping in God knows what and then coming in to depoist that on the worktops anyway.
Shrike is offline   Reply With Quote