Options

Jury Duty

BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
Forum Member
✭✭
Has anyone on DS ever been called up for Jury service? And does anyone know the chances of actually being called up to do it? Is there anything you can do to increase your chances?

Comments

• Options
    pmbondpmbond Posts: 876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Got called for it around easter time for my 1st time and I'm in my 50's. Ended up doing 6 days and 1 case that lasted 1.5 days. For each case 16 jurors are randomly selected and then 12 are randomly chosen once inside the court. Don't think you can increase your chances of being selected , you can refuse to do it again within 2 years. Interesting experience to say the least but doesn't suit everyone. Have a search on here there have been several threads about jury service.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,168
    Forum Member
    Got called up, had the Dr. write a note to get me out of it.
  • Options
    chattamanukchattamanuk Posts: 3,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone on DS ever been called up for Jury service? And does anyone know the chances of actually being called up to do it? Is there anything you can do to increase your chances?

There's a few threads on here about jury duty, here's one http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1644931&highlight=jury
  • Options
    tremetreme Posts: 5,445
    Forum Member
    Never been called up. I wouldn't want to do it though, it sounds really boring. I've better things to do with my time.
  • Options
    dreadnoughtdreadnought Posts: 1,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did mine a couple of months ago. Went into the court for the first case on the Monday. After we went into the courtroom they randomly pick 12 who go down in turn into the jury box as they are called. I didn't get picked, before the rest of us were dismissed we heard the charges read out, it was a fraud case with thirteen separate counts so it sounded like a lucky escape.

Was told I wouldn't be needed again until the Monday of the second week, this time it was two blokes accused of assault, there were only 15 of us and I didn't get picked again so was quite dissapointed. Because my boss had put on the expenses form that I couldn't go back to work on days when I wasn't needed, as they had brought someone in to cover me, I got paid for a week off doing nothing, which was nice.
  • Options
    TrebleKingTrebleKing Posts: 2,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Called up three times since 1990. Never been picked, though, which is lucky because there's 15 in a Jury in Scottish Courts.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only way to increase your chances is to be registered to vote in more than one area, so for example if you have a second home or you're a student. I suppose that doubles your chances. Some catchment areas might be smaller but for some reason or another have a high number of jury trials conducted in them. If you cared enough you could try to work out where in the country you have the best chance of being called is...

Even so, your chances of being called up are still very low and even if you are called you may spend the entire time reading a book rather than hearing any cases.

Oh and don't get a criminal record.

I haven't been called, not sure I particularly want to be. I'm training to be a barrister and I think I'd rather remain in blissful ignorance of what goes on in the jury room. That said, I can think of worse things to have to do, like going to a wedding.
  • Options
    MissliMissli Posts: 3,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    _drak wrote: »
    Got called up, had the Dr. write a note to get me out of it.

Its what I would ask mine to do. Its one thing that I've never wanted to have to do.
  • Options
    Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Called twice and done it once. Had a good and interesting two weeks, although some people sat around for days.
  • Options
    gavinfarrellygavinfarrelly Posts: 6,195
    Forum Member
    Do they cover you for loss of earnings if you get stuck on a particularly long case? Always wondered this...
  • Options
    mrsmoosemrsmoose Posts: 2,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read somewhere that if you have or have ever had mental health problems then you won't be allowed to do Jury Service.
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do they cover you for loss of earnings if you get stuck on a particularly long case? Always wondered this...

"Jury service is a ‘civic duty’ and a number of people could be called to serve during their lifetime. Jury duty is unpaid, but you can usually claim for certain expenses up to a daily maximum amount. If you are selected for jury duty you must attend or you could face a fine of up to £1,000.

You could be summoned for jury duty if you are between the age of 18 and 70 years old, have lived in the UK for a period of five years since the age of 13, and are on the electoral register. There are certain groups who are not eligible for jury duty, including specified occupations like the police force, and people who have had a youth custody or prison sentence of five years or more, or of any duration in the past ten years. Any person who suffers from a mental disability or mental health condition will not be eligible for jury duty.

Your employer has to give time off for you to attend jury service, but is not obliged to pay you. You may claim for food and travel expenses from the court, and you can also claim for loss of earnings by asking your employer to complete a Certificate of Loss of Earnings. However, there are daily limits for expenses claimed. If you are self-employed, a letter from your accountant stating the daily loss of earnings or the last years’ tax return may be submitted to court."

So yes, but you have to prove it. :D
    mrsmoose wrote: »
    I read somewhere that if you have or have ever had mental health problems then you won't be allowed to do Jury Service.
    Correct, see second paragraph above.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There is an allowance for loss of earnings which rises the longer the case goes on. Someone on a high wage might end up out of pocket though if their own company didn't pay them whilst they were absent.

Before you start you get a form which your boss fills in, telling the court your average daily wage after tax and whether you can go back to work on half days or full days if you are not needed in court. You also get petrol, bus fares paid for and a daily allowance for dinner (about £6 per day).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Rorschach wrote: »
    "Jury service is a ‘civic duty’ and a number of people could be called to serve during their lifetime. Jury duty is unpaid, but you can usually claim for certain expenses up to a daily maximum amount. If you are selected for jury duty you must attend or you could face a fine of up to £1,000.

You could be summoned for jury duty if you are between the age of 18 and 70 years old, have lived in the UK for a period of five years since the age of 13, and are on the electoral register. There are certain groups who are not eligible for jury duty, including specified occupations like the police force, and people who have had a youth custody or prison sentence of five years or more, or of any duration in the past ten years. Any person who suffers from a mental disability or mental health condition will not be eligible for jury duty.

Your employer has to give time off for you to attend jury service, but is not obliged to pay you. You may claim for food and travel expenses from the court, and you can also claim for loss of earnings by asking your employer to complete a Certificate of Loss of Earnings. However, there are daily limits for expenses claimed. If you are self-employed, a letter from your accountant stating the daily loss of earnings or the last years’ tax return may be submitted to court."

So yes, but you have to prove it. :D

Correct, see second paragraph above.
    Damnit. I thought having a slight criminal record would spare me, but it turns out its only if I got a custodial sentence :mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Up to and including four hours – first ten days £32.47 per day
    Up to and including four hours – between day 11 and up to day 200 £64.95 per day
    Up to and including four hours – after day 201 £114.03 per day
    Over four hours – first ten days £64.95 per day
    Over four hours – between day ten and up to day 200 £129.91 per day
    Over four hours – after day 201 £228.06 per day

Those are the maximums you can claim for lost earnings and other expenses. Frankly, after day 201 you should be put on the same rate as the barristers in my view. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    proviso wrote: »
    Up to and including four hours – between day 11 and up to day 200 £64.95 per day

Those are the maximums you can claim for lost earnings and other expenses. Frankly, after day 201 you should be put on the same rate as the barristers in my view. :D
    Jesus...do some cases really go on that long?! :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 454
    Forum Member
    I did it when I was 18, and had just moved to London, and it has to be the most traumatic thing I've been through. I was really, really excited as it was at the Old Bailey, assumed I'd get an amazing case. I ended up getting picked on the first day for a murder case, that went on for eight weeks, meaning I wasn't able to go home for Easter. I've always been interested in crime, and I'd never had a problem looking at graphic photos, but seeing them as evidence when the person who might have done it was standing a few feet away was horrendous. There's images that I still can't get out of my head, and for a long time afterwards I was scared to be alone, turn my back etc. Worst of all it was a hung jury, so the case went to retrial and we got no sense of closure. Looking back I was far too young and ill-prepared to undertake such a huge task. We weren't warned about anything that would happen during the trial, and afterwards we were just told to go without anything to help us cope with what we'd seen.

And I was screwed over with my expenses because at the time I was working for an agency and didn't have a set pay.

DON'T DO IT!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    proviso wrote: »

I would be well out of pocket, and with a large mortgage to pay, would probably try and claim financial hardship.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So if you work a seven hour day but the trial lasts five hours each day can you claim fine hours or seven hours lost earnings?

I mean after five hours in court you might get to work just in time to go home, thus losing the whole day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jesus...do some cases really go on that long?! :eek:
    Trial in 2005 collapses after nearly two years when jury goes on strike

Before that (according to the article above) the longest trial record stood at thirteen months and ended in an acquittal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rorschach wrote: »
    So if you work a seven hour day but the trial lasts five hours each day can you claim fine hours or seven hours lost earnings?

I mean after five hours in court you might get to work just in time to go home, thus losing the whole day.

The court pays you per day your average daily wage after tax, which is on a form filled in by your employer. If you are in court for over four hours, you get a full days pay.

However on the form your employer has to specify whether you can go back to work a) on half days and b) full days when you are not needed in court.

In my case the answer to both was no, so on my first day in court I was sent home after an hour and a half and got a full days pay. I also then got a full days pay for the rest of the week for each day I was sat at home not needed.
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Anyone who tries to get out of jury service without a really good cause is a lily livered idiot who doesn't deserve to live in the UK. If there is a really good reason, then no problem, but not wanting to do it or being self employed, or because you can't be bothered shows you a poor excuse for a person. We all need to do our part in ensuring the justice system works properly and doing your civic duty is part of it. I've done it twice and while not enjoying some of it, it made me look at some parts of society and life differently.
  • Options
    RowieboyRowieboy Posts: 1,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For those less keen to do their duty remember that the summons does not come by registered post and therefore there is no record of you having received it. A friend of mine put his in the bin twice and never heard anymore about it. So despite the threats of £1000 fines they have no proof that you know that you have been summoned...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Anyone who tries to get out of jury service without a really good cause is a lily livered idiot who doesn't deserve to live in the UK. If there is a really good reason, then no problem, but not wanting to do it or being self employed, or because you can't be bothered shows you a poor excuse for a person. We all need to do our part in ensuring the justice system works properly and doing your civic duty is part of it. I've done it twice and while not enjoying some of it, it made me look at some parts of society and life differently.

Bully for you. I'd rather get myself into work personally.

L.L. Idiot
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    treme wrote: »
    Never been called up. I wouldn't want to do it though, it sounds really boring. I've better things to do with my time.

Yes, justice is a real drag isn't it?