iOS 6 Thoughts?

Comments

• alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -ajm- wrote: »
    What worries me is that it might have gone down due to volume of traffic which could result in this happening often.
    So it can also act as a kill switch.

I can see a fair few uses.
  • -ajm--ajm- Posts: 5,767
    Forum Member
    wilt wrote: »
    That sounds like a terrible idea.

Good idea on paper, in reality however...
    Forum Member
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    So it can also act as a kill switch.

Looks like it.
  • SnowStorm86SnowStorm86 Posts: 17,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stupid wifi issue lol. I had to reset my network settings and re add my wifi settings else it would drop my wifi and send me to some apple page that didn't exist. Seems quite a few people had the same issue lol. See this 40+ page thread.

https://discussions.apple.com/message/19619592#19619592

Lucky I had some credit on my 3g to find out what the hell was going on. And to think this ios6 was being beta tested for months now lol.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wilt wrote: »
    That sounds like a terrible idea.

So basically if a hacker floods that web site... Everyone loses their wifi? Lol oh my...
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    can't even connect to your home Wi-Fi without apples ok :eek:
  • wiltwilt Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So basically if a hacker floods that web site... Everyone loses their wifi? Lol oh my...

Sounds that way - though I suspect many have tried and failed to DDOS apple.com to the ground.

What is much more likely, like we have seen tonight, is that Apple removes that page.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Curiously my ipod touch on ios 5 did not lose wifi...
  • wiltwilt Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Curiously my ipod touch on ios 5 did not lose wifi...

From what I have read so far, iOS5 and lower only check that page on open wifi networks - however as of iOS6, it always checks.
    Forum Member
    swordman wrote: »
    can't even connect to your home Wi-Fi without apples ok :eek:

It's supposed to make it easier.
  • late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    Has anyone else noticed wifi isn't working - If you try to join a wifi network you are re-routed to apple.com which then comes up with an error and drops your wifi connection!

Can't use my device since the upgrade.. Useless!!!!!!

Yes. I'm on iPad and wifi just cuts out.!
  • late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    Well my first iPad install totally cocked up. iPad went into recovery mode and was stuck there. Had to restart the pc + itunes and iPad. After a few more goes got it to work. It went straight to ios6 after recovery but all my stuff was gone. Lucky iCloud was there however the restore is no way as good as Android and google backup. On that my whole device automatically went back to just how I had it.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Legacy o9 wrote: »
    I had this problem but you just skip it and go into Wifi after you have finished the set up and your internet will be there.

Maybe people can stop shitting a proverbial brick now.

That didn't work for me, nor did resetting, nor did forgetting and re-adding the WiFi network.

Ditto for a shitload of other people too (check the forum at Apple.com, or try Twitter...).

It was caused by Apple screwing up.

It is working fine now... because Apple put the missing page back up that iOS6 was trying to check.
  • mjdj1689mjdj1689 Posts: 3,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    psionic wrote: »
    If you're missing Google Maps. Just open up Safari and go to http://maps.google.com and it will automatically offer to put a shortcut on your home screen (web app).

Thanks for this , but how do you get it to do street view please ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mjdj1689 wrote: »
    Thanks for this , but how do you get it to do street view please ?

You can't. This is why the removal of Google Maps isn't good at all. The Flyover thing is a total gimmick and not useful in practical terms like StreetView.
  • i love skyi love sky Posts: 3,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did my ipad 2 all ok but what is the Do not disturb thing all about?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i love sky wrote: »
    Did my ipad 2 all ok but what is the Do not disturb thing all about?

It's a feature where you can silence all notifications (but still allow calls from certain numbers, if you want to) between certain hours.
  • i love skyi love sky Posts: 3,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use iMailG app for my emails and before the IOS 6 update yesterday the icon for the app would change numbers when ever i got a email(the email count).

but now it does not seem to update itself so have to refresh it myself and also if i delete a email on my desktop pc the email would also delete on my ipad without me doing anything but this has stopped now.

also i have AOL mail set up in my normal mail that is already on ipad when it came and that does not refresh as well unless i do it myself.

does anyone know what the problem could be? as it didnt do this before the update yesterday.
  • AxeVictimAxeVictim Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read on another forum theres an app called ifindview that has Streetview.
  • satman17satman17 Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So what can I do with Passbook right now and why is there a tab to the App Store at the bottom when I still have the individual App Store and iTunes Store icons? I thought they were both going to be integrated under 1 tab ?
  • Wynne EvansWynne Evans Posts: 1,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A case of the Emperors new clothes for me i'm afraid, the maps are awful, no street view which i found useful, Apples only redeeming quality was not charging us for it, and no Siri support for iPod Touch is pissing me of so i guess i'm jailbreaking it so i can get it.

I want street view back, the new maps are shit.
  • horwichallstarshorwichallstars Posts: 16,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Installed last night. Now, when I use a Google app (google + / google earth), and press the icon to locate myself, the app crashes ...
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    It is the first major update whilst in a declared war.

Staff will have been under intense pressure to get those alternative maps working they simply took their eyes off the ball.

It happens.

That's very forgiving of you. You think it's the same guy that deals with the WiFi as the maps?
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    For those that will be using maps, this is a great addition:rolleyes: if your only using Satellite mode, not only in black and white, but :eek:
    62AC523A-C570-43A7-8981-A3DA9F3472E4-1120-0000005E9904892B_zpsf4fb7de8.jpg
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So my work colleague has just been showing me the iOS update.

An interesting thing he says is different is that Safari is now a lot quicker at loading pages (both wifi & 3g) and than maps over 3g is very quick (he tells me google maps use to be very slow).