Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Disney release cut version of Avengers Assemble in UK

Old 14-09-2012, 19:43
dmuk
Forum Member

Fail, when the BBFC have said there are no cuts

dmuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 14-09-2012, 20:18
darkjedimaster
Forum Member

This took some searching as the OP didn't provide a link, but apparently the Spear scene has been cut from the UK Steelbook release, this is despite the BBFC saying that the film is uncut. If this is true, then I will be purchasing the American version.
darkjedimaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2012, 21:22
wiseguy100
Forum Member

I can't find anything about this can you please post a linky.
wiseguy100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2012, 21:25
wiseguy100
Forum Member

Right i found it, as i thought, complete jimmy rollocks. It's the german version that is cut not the uk version.
Old 14-09-2012, 21:40
UltraViolet
Forum Member

Good to hear!
UltraViolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2012, 22:29
theonlyweeman
Forum Member

It's not even out yet, can we please way till day of release to slag off Walt Disney?
theonlyweeman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2012, 22:40
wiseguy100
Forum Member

Actually weeman depending on where you preordered it from a lot of people do in fact have it already.
Old 14-09-2012, 22:57
Phil Jones
Forum Member

if disney have submitted a precut version then the bbfc will pass it with no cuts. it would only be if they submitted the uncut version and then the bbfc said "cut this to get the rating you want" then it would come up as "xxx seconds cut" on the bbfc website.
Phil Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2012, 23:10
theonlyweeman
Forum Member

Actually weeman depending on where you preordered it from a lot of people do in fact have it already.
Yes, but not enough people to confirm or deny this, and having seen the comparison shots, I couldn't even see a difference for the fast few times, I had to look up what the difference actually was. http://www.movie-censorship.com/news_en.php?ID=4149 if you want a look.
Old 14-09-2012, 23:26
MrMark
Forum Member

I have the 3d combo set. I bought it today and had the choice of the 2d or 3d set as the 3d has a great slip and was only 3 more and maybe i will get a 3d tv someday which means I have only watched the 2D version and it is cut.
MrMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2012, 10:20
theonlyweeman
Forum Member

There was a brief suggestion that the cut may have been made internationally to allow for the character (don't know his name) to return in a squeal, though Disney have neither acknowledged nor denied that rumor (for obvious reasons).

Those of you claiming to have purchased a cut copy, does it say anywhere (within the contents of or on the disc - not the packaging) that it is a UK only copy? Because the cuts were made for countries like Germany and Italy, so if the disc is intended for use in all of Europe it may have been cut for that reason...
Old 15-09-2012, 10:29
MrMark
Forum Member

There was a brief suggestion that the cut may have been made internationally to allow for the character (don't know his name) to return in a squeal, though Disney have neither acknowledged nor denied that rumor (for obvious reasons).

Those of you claiming to have purchased a cut copy, does it say anywhere (within the contents of or on the disc - not the packaging) that it is a UK only copy? Because the cuts were made for countries like Germany and Italy, so if the disc is intended for use in all of Europe it may have been cut for that reason...
Well the set only has English audio tracks. So its a uk only pressing. The italian set is uncut as is the French. The German and Spanish sets are cut.
MrMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2012, 10:59
theonlyweeman
Forum Member

Well the set only has English audio tracks. So its a uk only pressing. The italian set is uncut as is the French. The German and Spanish sets are cut.
Yes, but that doesn't meant its UK only.... I meant more, does it have a "Disney UK" logo on the disc label or on the disc itself
Old 16-09-2012, 00:05
gjfr
Forum Member

Will anyone that does purchase this let us know if it's cut.
gjfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2012, 00:39
dmuk
Forum Member

It is cut, or more accurately, edited. The spear scene has been edited out. This has been confirmed by multiple sources who have received their copies early (not unusual since it's released in less than 24 hours).

IMO, this release (like a lot of Disney releases) needs to be imported. The US version is/has

-region free
-audio commentary
-some more extras
-a dvd copy (I think)
-unedited (I think)
dmuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2012, 01:14
Matt D
Forum Member

Was this uncut in the cinema in the UK? I saw it twice, but can't remember if you actually saw that detail.

If it was uncut in the cinema, why cut it for the home release?
Matt D is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2012, 01:35
Inky Binky
Forum Member

It is cut, or more accurately, edited. The spear scene has been edited out. This has been confirmed by multiple sources who have received their copies early (not unusual since it's released in less than 24 hours).

IMO, this release (like a lot of Disney releases) needs to be imported. The US version is/has

-region free
-audio commentary
-some more extras
-a dvd copy (I think)
-unedited (I think)

Here's the complete collection of AVENGERS releases in the US:

LINK

The 4-disc Collection (which includes DVD, Blu-ray, Blu-ray 3D & Digital Copy) is for the real serious fan. It also includes a digital album of the film soundtrack.

There's a 10-disc collection on the way (USA), but so far there's no indication of what it will include.
Inky Binky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2012, 01:51
JCR
Forum Member

Was this uncut in the cinema in the UK? I saw it twice, but can't remember if you actually saw that detail.

Just guessing, but if the German censor wanted it cut, Disney may not have wanted to do 2 seperate PAL region B/2 masters and therefore just released the cut version everywhere in Europe.

If I recall correctly that has happened before, I believe with an early dvd release of Predator- a cut release being issued in the UK because of the German censor.
JCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2012, 09:49
theonlyweeman
Forum Member

Just guessing, but if the German censor wanted it cut, Disney may not have wanted to do 2 seperate PAL region B/2 masters and therefore just released the cut version everywhere in Europe.

If I recall correctly that has happened before, I believe with an early dvd release of Predator- a cut release being issued in the UK because of the German censor.
Yes, hence my asking that guy whether his disc was specifically UK only, his won't have been a German copy (they always dub, he said it only had English audio) but it may have been a European copy issued to Countries that used subtitles instead of dubs. or if Region Free it may be the same copy as countries like Singapore or Nepal. We really don't know, but I don't think all UK copies with be cut

There was a brief suggestion that the producers may have one to bring him back in a sequel, so they re-edited it to make that more plausible. But most likely so they could get it out in Germany under the same rating as the theatrical.
Old 16-09-2012, 09:57
PhoenixRises
Forum Member

Can someone remind me what the spear scene is - so that I can understand who Disney wants to bring back for a sequel?

I have watched the film but I can't remember what is being discussed here. I have a vague inkling who but like it confirmed
PhoenixRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2012, 10:10
theonlyweeman
Forum Member

Can someone remind me what the spear scene is - so that I can understand who Disney wants to bring back for a sequel?

I have watched the film but I can't remember what is being discussed here. I have a vague inkling who but like it confirmed
http://www.movie-censorship.com/news_en.php?ID=4149 for a full explanation and comparison shots - goes without saying that it contains spoilers
Old 16-09-2012, 10:24
PhoenixRises
Forum Member

http://www.movie-censorship.com/news_en.php?ID=4149 for a full explanation and comparison shots - goes without saying that it contains spoilers
I thank you, and I can't believe I forgot that scene - crazy.
PhoenixRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 18:41
Muttley76
Forum Member

Just seen this:

Adib Khondkar ‏@adibdob
@BBFC Hi, Disney have just released Avengers Assemble censored, contrary to the version you classified. Doesn't this fall foul of the VRA?

BBFC
‏@BBFC
@adibdob Thanks, we're investigating. If a work has been altered after classification it would be in breach of the VRA

on twitter....

https://twitter.com/BBFC/status/247724062678347777
Muttley76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 19:32
Matt D
Forum Member

Wouldn't the home release have been a separate classification, though?
Matt D is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 19:36
CLL Dodge
Forum Member

Wouldn't the home release have been a separate classification, though?
Yes, but which version did the BBFC certify for video?
CLL Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote