Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Home Alone & Home Alone 2: Lost in New York

Old 16-09-2012, 15:27
Hassaan13
Inactive Member

I thought, since the third and fourth films don't include Culkin, and isn't anywhere near as good as the first two, so let's just discuss the first two films, the funniest parts etc.

Kevin playing the film in the second movie with the hotel staff there and the guy in the film accusing the concierge of 'smooching with his brother' was hilarious .
Hassaan13 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 16-09-2012, 15:46
fmradiotuner1
Forum Member

There is also a thread I made here

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showt...ght=home+alone
fmradiotuner1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2012, 15:50
Hassaan13
Inactive Member

Well, this one is solely for the first two movies.
Old 17-09-2012, 16:36
Fear of Fours
Inactive Member

Both great films that I watch every christmas without fail. My favourite is Lost in New York.
Fear of Fours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 22:41
rivercity_rules
Forum Member

I watched Lost in New York yesterday!

It's never too early in the year for Christmas movies!

The shots from the top of the World Trade Center is spectacular, they really were incredible buildings.
rivercity_rules is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2012, 13:17
Hassaan13
Inactive Member

I wonder if Home Alone (first movie) is on TV anytime soon, I know the second one was on E4 on Saturday.
Old 18-09-2012, 19:04
Scrubber
Forum Member

Brilliant films and both are hilarious. The guy who plays Marv is comedy gold, why have i not seen him in anything else.

3rd 4th films etc should have never existed.
Scrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2012, 20:40
Hassaan13
Inactive Member

^ Agree. Joe Pesci and Daniel Stern (who played Harry and Marv) look much older than they did 20 years ago!
Old 19-09-2012, 22:36
ASIFZED
Forum Member

Found Home Alone 2 mawkishly sentimental and a cynical rehash of the first one, without an ounce of its charm. The 'cartoon' violence was far from playful and still makes me wince (throwing bricks etc..). The hotel staff (Tim Curry, Rob Shneider) were very embarassing and brought the comedy down to a childish level, with all their mugging and gurning.

Hated HA2 on my first viewing and when in the mood to hate on a film (Jurassic Park 2 also meets this criteria), can always rely on Home Alone 2 to satiate my desire.
ASIFZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 03:24
SuperAPJ
Forum Member

Joe Pesci and Daniel Stern[...]look much older than they did 20 years ago!
That'll be because they're 20 years older! That reminds me of the dopey thought I had whilst watching Celebrity Big Brother a couple of weeks ago, that "Julian Clary used to look a lot younger than he does now"!
SuperAPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 04:52
dee123
Forum Member

I do remember thinking "What the hell is Brenda Fricker doing in this?" You win an Oscar & then this? That said, any film with Tim Curry is good in my book.
dee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 18:38
Hassaan13
Inactive Member

"I'm down here you big horse's ass!"

You don't get kids these days saying that
Old 20-09-2012, 20:29
Tiwttmos
Forum Member

In Home Alone 2, there's a scene where Kevin throws a brick of the top of a building, and it hits Marv in the head, if you watch It in slow motion, you can see the brick damage, before it even hits his head
Tiwttmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2012, 02:51
Mr Teacake
Forum Member

The first film is a lot better than the second although the new york scenes seem more memorable for some reason. In Home Alone it's much more tense with Kevin having to look after his large suburban house as oppossed to living in a secure hotel in NY.
Mr Teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2012, 16:25
Hassaan13
Inactive Member

In Home Alone 2, there's a scene where Kevin throws a brick of the top of a building, and it hits Marv in the head, if you watch It in slow motion, you can see the brick damage, before it even hits his head
He did throw more than one brick
Old 21-09-2012, 16:30
Big Boy Barry
Forum Member

Both movies are hilarious.

There was no need for further films after that
Big Boy Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2012, 16:33
Hassaan13
Inactive Member

Both movies are hilarious.

There was no need for further films after that
Unless of course, they kept the same cast, came up with a completely new plot and made it even funnier.
Old 27-11-2012, 16:20
Hassaan13
Inactive Member

Some facts about the first film from IMDB:
[LIST][*]John Candy filmed his part in only one day, albeit an extremely long 23-hour day. The story about having once forgotten his son at a funeral home was entirely improvised. His part is obviously inspired by the character he played in Planes, Trains & Automobiles also written by John Hughes.
[*]The concept for this movie originated during the filming of a scene in Uncle Buck in which Macaulay Culkin plays a character who interrogates a would-be-babysitter through a letterbox.
[*]The movie that Kevin watches on video tape is not a real film, but footage especially created. It was called "Angels With Filthy Souls." Along with other similar era references in the movie, this is a play upon the movie Angels with Dirty Faces starring James Cagney.
[*]The role of Uncle Frank was written for Kelsey Grammer.
[*]Joe Pesci's character, Harry Lime, is named after Orson Welles's character from the film The Third Man.
[*]Jeffrey Wiseman who plays the inquisitive neighbor, Mitch Murphy, auditioned for the role of Kevin McCallister.
[*]Entered into The Guinness Book of World Records as the "Highest Box Office Gross - Comedy", accumulating $533,000,000 internationally.
[*]The posters and DVD cases for the movie had Culkin with his hands on his face and screaming, based on the famous painting "The Scream" by Edvard Munch.
[*]Joe Pesci kept forgetting that he was filming a "family" movie during his characters on-screen outbursts so director Chris Columbus advised him to say "fridge" instead of the "F-word".
[*]Despite filming a family movie, Daniel Stern once slipped in the "s-word", which can be heard when he is retrieving his boot through the doggy door at 55:27 on the DVD.
[*]The car that ''Santa'' (the guy Kevin talks to about getting his family back) starts before it stalls out is a 1980 Honda Civic hatchback. It really did stall on camera as the actor was driving it away.
[*]Although the part was written especially for Macaulay Culkin by John Hughes, several hundred other boys were auditioned by director Chris Columbus just because he wanted to confirm that Culkin was right for the part.
[*]The wax-and-plastic artificial snow used in this film was given to the Lyric Opera of Chicago when shooting finished. It has since been used in numerous opera productions.[/LIST]
Old 27-11-2012, 16:30
SillyBillyGoat
Forum Member

"What kind of idiots do you have working here?"
"The finest in New York!"
SillyBillyGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 00:35
downtonfan
Forum Member

He's gonna call the cops!
From a tree house?!
downtonfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 08:25
blitzben85
Forum Member

Don't forget about Buzz and his Old Man Marley myth.
blitzben85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 22:45
xxstephiebabixx

i like both films and find both funny although i do prefer the first movie, might have something to do with the cosy home.

the scene in the first film when marv has the spider on his face and he screams like a big girl brilliant!

the second one has me in stitches with the staff and the video tape, smooching cliff and the whole 'i love you!'

top of my christmas movie list every year!
xxstephiebabixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 22:48
Titan9
Inactive Member

Wet Bandits.
Titan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 23:15
TOONARMY12
Forum Member

Don't forget about Buzz and his Old Man Marley myth.
What do you mean?
TOONARMY12 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2012, 14:13
Bunny82
Forum Member

Some facts about the first film from IMDB:

John Candy filmed his part in only one day, albeit an extremely long 23-hour day. The story about having once forgotten his son at a funeral home was entirely improvised. His part is obviously inspired by the character he played in Planes, Trains & Automobiles also written by John Hughes.
Damn, I miss John Candy.
Bunny82 is offline   Reply With Quote