Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Why do people hate One Direction?

Old 19-03-2013, 15:45
zeze88
Forum Member

I agree it is indeed sick but putting it into context it is just a few out of many millions. Shame they get all the publicity tarring everyone with the same brush. But it really isn't anything new. Boy bands have always had a few insane obsessive fans. I worked with one many years ago and that was Paul McCartney fan from the Beatles. Just we didn't have social media for the whole world to see how badly they behave.

I do wish someone would tell their parents!!
I know that not all 1D fans are like that, but still.. this is not the first time such a crazy thing is happening that was started by a few 1D fans, this is just mental! They are NOT real fans of the band then. If you are truly a fan of someone, wouldn't you want them to be happy? I don't know what is going on in their heads...

You know, I kind of understand the obsessiveness over The Beatles since they changed everything - the music scene, the style of clothing, hairstyle... they introduced something new that nobody has seen before. But this... to be so obsessed over 1 boyband that isn't any different than any other bunch that existed before. I just don't understand.

And you are right about the parents... I mean, how exactly were they raised if they think about such vile and disturbing things?
zeze88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 19-03-2013, 15:53
Hassaan13
Inactive Member

That is sick, but the boys themselves should address it via Twitter - there are so many incidents like this and they don't seem to be doing anything about it.
Hassaan13 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 16:05
zeze88
Forum Member

That is sick, but the boys themselves should address it via Twitter - there are so many incidents like this and they don't seem to be doing anything about it.
I agree with you - every artist, not just 1D boys, but also for example Bieber, should at least try top stop this, try to calm them and reason with them, because the fans would probably listen to them if they said something. It is not right that they ignore this, that is very irresponsible of them. But like I said before, they are making it worse when they comment something in a negative way and respond to the criticism - because their fans will immediately feel encouraged to harass the people who said something negative about the artist.
Old 19-03-2013, 16:11
Hassaan13
Inactive Member

I agree with you - every artist, not just 1D boys, but also for example Bieber, should at least try top stop this, try to calm them and reason with them, because the fans would probably listen to them if they said something. It is not right that they ignore this, that is very irresponsible of them. But like I said before, they are making it worse when they comment something in a negative way and respond to the criticism - because their fans will immediately feel encouraged to harass the people who said something negative about the artist.
For example, the boys' girlfriends (Louis, Liam and Zayn's) have gotten negative comments/death threats off Twitter, and they have tried to stick up for them. However, this is way way worse - I think even the police should be drafted in.
Old 20-03-2013, 14:29
zeze88
Forum Member

Ok, this just proves what I have been saying that the media are especially biased towards 1D which is the only thing I truly hate regarding them.

Timberlake's new album was no.1 on iTunes yesterday in 64 countries and it is still no.1 today in 54 countries.

But surprise, surprise... no one reported that, it seems this is only a huge deal when 1D does that
Old 20-03-2013, 18:23
abrightyz
Forum Member

congrats to JT. 1D looks up to him as idol and inspiration!!
abrightyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 18:26
abrightyz
Forum Member

i'm sure those who tweeted that are not real fans... and what per cent of the whole fandom tweeted that? i'm sure a whole lot more condemned those tweets...
abrightyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 21:15
Jason100
Forum Member

They got to have the most insane fanbase out there, this is just SICK!

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/...yne-puppy.html
Such a sick and horrible fan base. Those over jealous horrid little girls need to get a life and fast.
Jason100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 21:17
PaulBowker
Forum Member

Such a sick and horrible fan base. Those over jealous horrid little girls need to get a life and fast.
Why would someone hate them because of people that don't?
PaulBowker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 21:47
cinnamon girl
Forum Member

Speaking of crazy 1D fans...

https://twitter.com/HarryMyCatDied
cinnamon girl is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 23:05
cnbcwatcher
Forum Member

Am I the only one who thinks that's completely bonkers?
cnbcwatcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 23:08
crazymonk
Forum Member

^ I don't get it!
crazymonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 23:27
Georgiecats
Forum Member

I think you'll find that groups like 1D i.e. boybands are only hated/disliked by half the population, i.e. the male half.

It's cause?

Jealousy. They'll deny it of course but they can't bear other males who are rich, young, goodlooking and worst of all - have girls chasing after them down the street.

All the things they want but will never have. It's as old as time.
Georgiecats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 23:41
metal box
Forum Member

I think you'll find that groups like 1D i.e. boybands are only hated/disliked by half the population, i.e. the male half.

It's cause?

Jealousy. They'll deny it of course but they can't bear other males who are rich, young, goodlooking and worst of all - have girls chasing after them down the street.

Well im not male, and I dislike one direction. My young teenage daughters dislike them too...and they aren't male either.

To be fair, its not the lads themselves i dont like, its just all the hype surrounding them. There always has - and always will be - boy bands... but this one has been forced onto the public since the very beginning. Cheers Simon!

Incidentally, Taylor Swift's cat also recieved death threats from some 1d fans.
metal box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 00:11
cnbcwatcher
Forum Member

It's cause?

I'm a 23 year old female and I can't stand them. I'm not jealous of them at all. I don't like them because their music is absolute rubbish and they are so overhyped it's ridiculous. Some people seem to think of them as the second coming of music and they're not. There's nothing special or unique about them.
cnbcwatcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 16:19
Hassaan13
Inactive Member

Am I the only one who thinks that's completely bonkers?
No, you are not.

Listen to this if you still think they cannot sing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VsLTbhMlXU
Old 21-03-2013, 21:35
speigel
Forum Member

errrr because its manufactured pap for 12 year olds. There are so many bands out there that deserve more exposure than these kids.
speigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 15:54
zeze88
Forum Member

No, you are not.

Listen to this if you still think they cannot sing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VsLTbhMlXU
I just don't understand why they don't harmonize. They sound like 5 solo singers, they are not even singing together in the chorus. The charm in boybands is supposed to be that they are harmonizing very well. Here they don't sound like a band to me...
Old 22-03-2013, 16:02
Hassaan13
Inactive Member

I just don't understand why they don't harmonize. They sound like 5 guys singing individually, they are not even together in the chorus. The charm in boybands is supposed to be that they are harmonizing very well. Here they don't sound like a band to me...
That is an edited version of that single - the vocals are 'extracted' and the guitar is put in. Someone found it on Tumblr and decided to post it to YouTube.

If you want to hear a proper performance with them harmonising, here are a few:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ondUTfaHV8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgRlmSLjfiw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN33hCEDVQc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDv7efxb4No

They can harmonise, it's just not clear in some performances.
Old 22-03-2013, 16:43
zeze88
Forum Member

That is an edited version of that single - the vocals are 'extracted' and the guitar is put in. Someone found it on Tumblr and decided to post it to YouTube.

If you want to hear a proper performance with them harmonising, here are a few:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ondUTfaHV8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgRlmSLjfiw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN33hCEDVQc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDv7efxb4No

They can harmonise, it's just not clear in some performances.
You don't have to give me more examples, I told you before that I never said they can't sing.

I think the bottom line in all this is, as long as they continue to sing bubblegum teen pop that don't acquire any demanding vocals, there will always be people who will say they can't sing and that they are annoying, talentless boyband and their fanbase won't get hugely diverse. They need to grow more musically because their albums are very very similar to each other.
Old 22-03-2013, 17:43
twingle
Forum Member

You don't have to give me more examples, I told you before that I never said they can't sing.

I think the bottom line in all this is, as long as they continue to sing bubblegum teen pop that don't acquire any demanding vocals, there will always be people who will say they can't sing and that they are annoying, talentless boyband and their fanbase won't get hugely diverse. They need to grow more musically because their albums are very very similar to each other.
I know you think I defend them just for the sake of it but I genuinely disagree with your comment. Some of the songs they sing are vocally demanding as commented on by others. Lastt week there was a singing comp with Ashley Judd as a judge and all three groups sang live while you are young and the judges commented that it was a vocally demanding song (said by Carrie Grant who vocally knows what she is talking about!) Not many singers can reach Zayn's high notes in quite a few of their songs.

I also think they have progressed from album 1 to album 2 ok maybe not a huge leap but that is quite normal for most acts and especially a boy or girlband. It is album 3 I will be looking for progression on a bigger scale.

So many posters say their songs all sound the same I am not sure how they can say a ballad sounds the same as an uptempo one or a dance track which both albums have a varerty of. I believe the are confusing all the songs as sounding the same with a signature sound which if you listen to the radio a lot as I do you can spot the artist just by the style of song. Taylor Swift, Adele, Bruno Mars, Stooshie, Olly Murs.

Anyway as usual let's agree to disagree
twingle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 18:22
zeze88
Forum Member

I know you think I defend them just for the sake of it but I genuinely disagree with your comment. Some of the songs they sing are vocally demanding as commented on by others. Lastt week there was a singing comp with Ashley Judd as a judge and all three groups sang live while you are young and the judges commented that it was a vocally demanding song (said by Carrie Grant who vocally knows what she is talking about!) Not many singers can reach Zayn's high notes in quite a few of their songs.

I also think they have progressed from album 1 to album 2 ok maybe not a huge leap but that is quite normal for most acts and especially a boy or girlband. It is album 3 I will be looking for progression on a bigger scale.

So many posters say their songs all sound the same I am not sure how they can say a ballad sounds the same as an uptempo one or a dance track which both albums have a varerty of. I believe the are confusing all the songs as sounding the same with a signature sound which if you listen to the radio a lot as I do you can spot the artist just by the style of song. Taylor Swift, Adele, Bruno Mars, Stooshie, Olly Murs.

Anyway as usual let's agree to disagree
Of course, I respect your opinion. And by the way, I said they should grow in the future, which you agree.

But I also bolded this little part to explain something:

To me, their uptempos truly sound very similar: Live While We're Young, One Thing, What Makes You Beautiful, Kiss You... these singles all sound very similar to me - and when I actually listened to their album, everything jumbled in my head because the uptempo songs are so similar to each other, while 2 Sheeran ballads are also VERY similar to each other.

And hey, if many posters feel the same way, at least it means i am not imagining things
Old 22-03-2013, 20:01
Hassaan13
Inactive Member

I don't think What Makes You Beautiful for example is such an easy song to sing for a male if you are going to do it perfectly, especially if you are going for all the big notes.
Old 22-03-2013, 20:06
Emmersonne
Forum Member

They're the first boyband who have made me feel ancient (I'm 25)

So young and cheery and bouncy and I know if I were still 13 I'd love them.

So, yes, ancient.
Emmersonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2013, 13:12
zeze88
Forum Member

They're the first boyband who have made me feel ancient (I'm 25)

So young and cheery and bouncy and I know if I were still 13 I'd love them.

So, yes, ancient.
This response made me laugh because I feel like you and I'm also turning 25 in September

I sometimes think I would also have liked them if I was 11-13, but then again, I'm not so sure. They certainly don't remind me musically of any older boybands like BSB, Boyzone, Nsync, Take That, Blue or Westlife, none of them had such teen, bubblegum cheery music and I know I never liked that kind of music when I was a kid. I remember that I only liked Britney Spears at that age

So, I understand your view perfectly - they are way to cheery and bouncy for my musical taste