Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

War of the Worlds 2012

Old 19-09-2012, 16:03
mal2pool
Forum Member

Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War of The Worlds, The New Generation, is coming on 12th November. Jeff has embarked on a new interpretation of the iconic album, with guest stars including Liam Neeson, Take Thatís Gary Barlow, Maverick Sabre, Joss Stone, the Kaiser Chiefís Ricky Wilson and Alex Clare!

Wonder if Gary will release Forever Autumn as a single.
Cant beat the original album though. Will be interesting how it turns out.

https://www.facebook.com/thewaroftheworlds
mal2pool is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 19-09-2012, 16:06
soundstory
Forum Member

It's unfortunate because I loved the original double album.

But as Gary Barlow is on it, that rules me out as I refuse to listen to anything he's on
soundstory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2012, 16:24
Pilotofthestorm
Forum Member

Hmmmmm how could you replace Richard Burtons narration.....that voice
Pilotofthestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2012, 17:14
Cloudbuster
Forum Member

One simple question.......................WHY?
Cloudbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2012, 17:21
benana93

I loved the original, fantastic album. One of the defining albums of my childhood. Not happy with any of those listed who are involved in this new version of it though, so I doubt I'll be buying it.
benana93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2012, 17:35
daz2008
Forum Member

Could not agree more, the first album is a classic that I still listen to regularly. I tend to think Jeff Wayne is milking it War Of The Worlds for all he can.
daz2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2012, 21:14
scamrasc
Forum Member

one simple answer - money.
same as all remakes.
scamrasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 07:56
Glengavel
Inactive Member

Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War of The Worlds, The New Generation, is coming on 12th November. Jeff has embarked on a new interpretation of the iconic album, with guest stars including Liam Neeson, Take Thatís Gary Barlow, Maverick Sabre, Joss Stone, the Kaiser Chiefís Ricky Wilson and Alex Clare!
Hell's f*cking bells.
Glengavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 09:30
CLL Dodge
Forum Member

So many reasons to avoid.
CLL Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 09:48
mal2pool
Forum Member

Agree it will be bad. The stage tour is going to involve the new singers also though i doubt gary will do it.
Much prefer the brilliant voices on the original album.
Would be nice to see the songs back in the charts though
mal2pool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 02:46
a01020304
Forum Member

This new album is shockingly bad, liam neeson ruins it for me, he sounds really bad, nothing compares to Richard Burton. Same as for Forever Autumn, the only good version is Justin Haywood anyone else singing it just ruins it for me.
Even the star trek version sounded better than liam neeson.

why do they ruin things when the original is the best, they will alienate lots of fans with this new version.
a01020304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 09:40
MicroSmurf
Forum Member

I have been a huge fan of this album since it came out in '78, I have listened to this new version twice now and it isn't a patch on the original.

Like has been said Liam Neeson is no Richard Burton but he sounds bored and drones on in a monotone like he is reading from a script, which he is. But, he is supposed to be giving a first person account of his experience, he just sounds flat and unengaging.

As for the rest of the cast, Gary Barlow gives a reasonable rendition of Forever Autumn, Joss Stone sounds like a little girl, Maverick Sabre is trying too hard to sound like Phil Lynott and failing abysmally. Thunder Child was the only song that actually sounded pretty good to me, the rest of the production was full of whooshy unnecessary sounds which distracted too much from the music which again sounds far too processed. There seems to be no soul in this production.

I have tickets to see this at Wembley in a couple of weeks, I hope I enjoy it more than this new 'Spartacus' that Jeff has created.
MicroSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 14:07
Steve35
Inactive Member

So many reasons to avoid.
Originally Posted by mal2pool

I'd say that's the main one!
Steve35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 14:47
Glawster2002
Forum Member

I have tickets to see this at Wembley in a couple of weeks, I hope I enjoy it more than this new 'Spartacus' that Jeff has created.
We're going to see the show in Cardiff next Monday. I think it'll be a good live show but I can't see the point in a second-rate re-hash of what has become a classic.
Glawster2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 15:02
Cloudbuster
Forum Member

Utterly pointless!
Cloudbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 19:37
smokincheese
Inactive Member

Has Jeff Wayne gone soft in the head?! Gary 'boss-eyed' Barlow??!!

I love the original album and saw the first live shows - but no way am I interested in this unnecessary re-hash with this motley crew of no-marks.
smokincheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:59
daz2008
Forum Member

I don't see the need for this new interpretation of a classic album, it feels at times that Jeff Wayne is exploiting the loyal following that War Of The Worlds has with the endless re-releases of the original album, endless touring of the show now this. I could not help but buy it though, It's not as bad as I thought it would of been there are some good performances on it. After listening to it a few times this week I still ask myself "why was this even done?"
daz2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:04
soundstory
Forum Member

I don't see the need for this new interpretation of a classic album, it feels at times that Jeff Wayne is exploiting the loyal following that War Of The Worlds has with the endless re-releases of the original album, endless touring of the show now this. I could not help but buy it though, It's not as bad as I thought it would of been there are some good performances on it. After listening to it a few times this week I still ask myself "why was this even done?"
Well after the failure of Spartacus in 1992, Jeff Wayne has done nothing but cash-in with War of The Worlds......
soundstory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 13:42
Westy2
Forum Member

Ive heard Forever Autumn, which sounds as good as the original, but I get the impression, don't touch the Cd with a bargepole.

Is that right?
Westy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 15:43
koantemplation
Forum Member

It's not bad, but it doesn't add anything special for there to be a remake.
koantemplation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 17:38
jimjohn63
Forum Member

I don't think this version will be fondly remembered in thirty years time.
jimjohn63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:05
acker

Well after the failure of Spartacus in 1992, Jeff Wayne has done nothing but cash-in with War of The Worlds......
No ! ....ive done nothing but cash in with War of the Worlds.
acker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 21:32
zoe_lou
Forum Member

its not *that* bad, i like the music. the acting is a bit off, the only bit i really have a problem with is the spirit of man, joss stone sings good but thats the only decent thing about it.
No one can replace the originals, but in its own right its not that bad.
zoe_lou is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 21:41
Menoetius
Forum Member

I don't think this version will be fondly remembered in thirty years time.
Listening to it now. Not impressed. Thirty years? I doubt I'll give it 30 minutes.

Liam Neeson is terrible. A complete lack of character. Richard Burton sounded like he was right in the middle of it. A great performance. I can just see Neeson standing there in a booth, reading the script. Awful.
Menoetius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:39
zoe_lou
Forum Member

I went to see it on saturday and Live its just unbelievable! the cast were really great. Iv been to every tour and i think this was my favourite, i just wish justin hayward was there then it would really have been perfect.
zoe_lou is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote