The Nick Grimshaw Breakfast Show

uksoundzuksoundz Posts: 304
Forum Member
Well I listened for around 45 minutes on the way to work and yes it's vastly different to moyles but we all knew that was going to be the case.

Although he must have been really nervous I thought he came across pretty well.

I will listen to the show in its entirety when I get in.

But.... in the meantime.... what are your thoughts?

Comments

• starsailorstarsailor Posts: 11,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well if Radio 1 wanted to get rid of this 32 year old (which they do), then they've worked. Not for me.

Hello Chris (Zoe for this week) on radio 2, already been listening to him for a couple of weeks.

Going to miss Moyles and the team...thanks for the last 8 years.
  • tom_htom_h Posts: 255
    Forum Member
    I've got nothing against the guy and I know it's hard job but I just isn't my cup of tea...

... and i'm 17.

Been listening around other stations trying to find a replacement for Moyles and it can't be done.
  • mfrmfr Posts: 5,593
    Forum Member
    I've only heard about 30 minutes but he's coming crosss well. Similar in style to the 6 Music breakfast which I've always enjoyed but with music and banter more relevant to the target audience.

Job well done on first impressions. I was thinking they should get One Direction, the Wanted or Bieber on... Seems they've got two out of three on day 1!
  • nikobatallonesnikobatallones Posts: 3,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just think he probably needs someone to bounce off with, like (to go with mfr's 6 Music comparison) Matt Everitt is to Shaun Keaveny. But it's definitely early days,
  • starsailorstarsailor Posts: 11,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Worth mentionng that on twitter #teammoyles is hugely outtrending the BBC corporate #teamgrimmy
  • p_c_u_kp_c_u_k Posts: 8,806
    Forum Member
    It's harsh to judge a show in the first hour, but too much about it is infuriating me.

I like NIck Grimshaw. I really do. But he just doesn't sound right in this timeslot.

The constant self-depreciation ... Mark 'n' Lard did that, and it didn't work for them. They're trying to come across as too cool for school, but instead of that they sound underprepared and unambitious. And frankly it's offensive when you consider how much effort Moyles put into every element of his show.

It sounds flat. Maybe it's just the lack of a zoo format, but they need other members of the team to get involved somehow, otherwise it just sounds like a 10am show.

And by trying to be dead cool you're alienating the pure pop fans, and by constantly mentioning One Direction you're putting off the cooler ones.

The good news for Radio 1 is that I'm 32, so they don't need to care too much what I think. The problem is I genuinely don't think I would have liked this when I was 18/19 (if it had been based around a 90s equivalent of One Direction and Justin Bieber, definitely not).

Like I say, it is harsh to judge on the basis of an hour, but there are a lot of warning lights coming up. If someone could let me know if and when it gets good I'll come back, but I don't think I can put up with this every morning at the moment.

I'll be buggered if I'm going to Radio 2 - Evans is boring these days, and after the pressure he put on Moyles to quit I'm not going over there. I'm also a bit down on commercial radio after their constant pressure on the BBC Trust, and there's nothing that quite strikes the right tone for me, even if central Scotland is served with quite a few good shows (everyone's too bloody cheery). Oh well. Bye breakfast radio.

(sorry all, I normally try to be positive on here...)
  • mintchocchipmintchocchip Posts: 16,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They definitely need more team members for him to bounce off.
  • PassengersPassengers Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds like student radio.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Passengers wrote: »
    Sounds like student radio.
    Yup, except he's not playing The Smiths
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    p_c_u_k wrote: »

The constant self-depreciation ... Mark 'n' Lard did that, and it didn't work for them. They're trying to come across as too cool for school, but instead of that they sound underprepared and unambitious. And frankly it's offensive when you consider how much effort Moyles put into every element of his show.

The only presenter who it does work for, IMO is Ken Bruce, on Radio 2...except you don't listen to that, so that may not mean much.
  • jonjonsjonjons Posts: 4,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Too much music and the show sounds like the rest of the daytime output. This is really annoying as its not keeping me interested and sounds more like a channel hopper.
  • onephatonephat Posts: 898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In my option it's rubbish.
    Forum Member
    The only presenter who it does work for, IMO is Ken Bruce, on Radio 2...except you don't listen to that, so that may not mean much.

I've heard Ken Bruce occasionally and I agree - it's a major part of his act, and works well. It worked for Mark 'n' Lard at night-time and even during the afternoons as well. It just rarely works on the breakfast show.

People who know far more about radio than me will know why it doesn't work at that time of the morning, but for me it just doesn't work.
  • PassengersPassengers Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    p_c_u_k wrote: »
    I've heard Ken Bruce occasionally and I agree - it's a major part of his act, and works well. It worked for Mark 'n' Lard at night-time and even during the afternoons as well. It just rarely works on the breakfast show.

People who know far more about radio than me will know why it doesn't work at that time of the morning, but for me it just doesn't work.

It's the expectation that whoever is hosting the show has confidence and something about them; it's the station's flagship show and needs a personality to match. Pretending that you're humbled and not really up to the job confirms that you actually aren't.
  • TheDemiurgeTheDemiurge Posts: 1,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This morning's show has a truly surreal quality to it. It sounds like hastily prepared filler when the regular broadcaster fails to turn in and is found dead in the bathroom at home.
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    I know I'm not the target audience but I always used to listen tho half an hour of Moyles on way to work then Radio 2 for the rest of the day, so I gave it a go today, expecting it to be the music that made me turn off. But I caught the bit between Nick and the token 1D boy and they both sounded so bored it was depressing - I nearly nodded off and I think they did too
  • katiemackkatiemack Posts: 7,837
    Forum Member
    Grimmy was much better than this when he covered for Mills and was bouncing off Chris and Becky.

I think breakfast works better with a zoo format Nick on his own isn't going to work!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have given this show a go this morning but to me the whole thing just feels empty and thrown together. I agree with others that Nick is not strong enough on his own and all he seems to be doing is waffling on about nothing. Something else that bugs me is how bad he is on the desk he does not seem to know what's what oh and the features are shite.
    Forum Member
    Passengers wrote: »
    It's the expectation that whoever is hosting the show has confidence and something about them; it's the station's flagship show and needs a personality to match. Pretending that you're humbled and not really up to the job confirms that you actually aren't.

Sounds spot on, and a perfect summary of this morning.

I know things aren't going to be perfect on the first show but you have to make your mark early. Just listening to the first Moyles breakfast show on chrismoyles.net - it's like light and day. It wasn't perfect, but they seemed settled in very quickly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    Awful! Flicking about the dial and really comparing the features across the various shows/stations on offer, the Radio 1 breakfast show sounded very lame and Grimmy's mono-tone waffle is certainly an acquired taste. He was a bit like the weather: grey, gloomy and drippy.

One of the biggest surprises for me (and I've never been a fan) was finding Zoe Ball on R2. It was upbeat, informative and really quite funny in places. Peak time was an interview with Kylie which was excellent.

Never thought it would be Radio 2 on the dial for me after Moyles departure! Blimey!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can anyone see it getting better? Me personally just don't feel he has what it takes to turn it round
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe they should keep Zoe on instead?
  • Teddybear99Teddybear99 Posts: 6,077
    Forum Member
    I have enjoyed listening to him. Clearly he is a bit overwhelmed, who wouldn't be having to follow a national treasure who pretty much imo perfected breakfast radio during the 8 years he was on.

Chris Moyles wasn't an instant hit, like good cheese and wine he settled into it and matured into something great. I feel that Nick will do the same. For a first show, I think it was a great attempt, and I look forward to seeing the show develop over time.

I have listened to Radio 1 since the very first broadcast and cannot imagine listening to anything else. I remember the days when it was said that no-one could replace Tony Blackburn. :D
  • ComputerComputer Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chris983 wrote: »
    Can anyone see it getting better? Me personally just don't feel he has what it takes to turn it round

It will definitely get better. I'm not sure how long it will take for them to realise/accept that a 'zoo' format is required but once they do and give Matt and Tina a mic it'll settle into a good show!
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have enjoyed listening to him. Clearly he is a bit overwhelmed, who wouldn't be having to follow a national treasure who pretty much imo perfected breakfast radio during the 8 years he was on.

Chris Moyles wasn't an instant hit, like good cheese and wine he settled into it and matured into something great. I feel that Nick will do the same. For a first show, I think it was a great attempt, and I look forward to seeing the show develop over time.

I have listened to Radio 1 since the very first broadcast and cannot imagine listening to anything else. I remember the days when it was said that no-one could replace Tony Blackburn. :D

oh dear Radio 1 will be depressed another over age listener! :D