Options

Orange no longer Simply Broadband?

gazdeegazdee Posts: 341
Forum Member
Hi,

Not sure how genuine this is, but a friend of mine as said he's received a letter from Orange stating that they no longer offer the Simply Broadband package which is broadband on its own, and that he will have to take up landline with them in order to keep his broadband service.

As anyone else heard or had any correspondence like this?

I've checked the website and they don't offer the broadband only package any longer, but offer broadband and phone.

I'm just concerned as I'm with Orange and I'm now preparing myself for the options available to me if this is the case.

Comments

• Options
    habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a letter today advising that this Orange/TMobile set up is going to be called EE and my d/d and account is changing. Never mentioned about the Freeserve email address I still have. Also advising that there will be 4g & cable broadband.

I've currently got home phone & broadband with them. I did just have broadband with them before I changed my package, so I don't know what would have happened if I hadn't changed it myself?

I'll see how much all this cost before I decide what to do further.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here we go again, to get broadband with us, you must have our phone service.

Less choice once again.
    How long will it be before there are no ISps that will allow you broadband with out their phone service?

If say British Gas say you can't have their gas without their electric there would be hell to play and no doubt Ofgen would get involved and so they should, so why on earth should the telecoms market be any different?
  • Options
    The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    This was on Watchdog earlier. It could be to make way for EE's Fibre offering. (maximise profit on old tech to pay for new service)

If seems too good to be true... in the end it usually is.
  • Options
    Mystic EddyMystic Eddy Posts: 3,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the situation was adequate two years or so ago where the majority of providers offered packages both with and without the line rental requirement. Taking the product without line rental often resulted in a higher monthly charge, but it allowed consumers to have greater choice and now they are being denied that.
  • Options
    madnesmadnes Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here we go again, to get broadband with us, you must have our phone service.

They are a buisness, not a charity.
    Less choice once again.
    How long will it be before there are no ISps that will allow you broadband with out their phone service?

Virgin Media - O2. At the top of my head but there are many more.

However I have no issues in taking a phone service if it meant getting Broadband.
    If say British Gas say you can't have their gas without their electric there would be hell to play and no doubt Ofgen would get involved and so they should, so why on earth should the telecoms market be any different?
    The regulators are Spineless. Example, Ofwot - United Utilitles treat the customers poorly, United Utilities know this as we as water consumers cannot choose to switch our services.
  • Options
    dmpdmp Posts: 3,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm with orange for the full package and it's a lot cheaper than having phone line with bt and broadband with orange, also looking forward to the chance of having fibre as I have a cabinet just feet from my house depending on how much they want for the service.
    Dave
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    madnes wrote: »
    They are a buisness, not a charity.

Who the hell said anything about them being a charity? surely if they offered just broadband, they can put it for a higher price that if you use their phone services as well?

Virgin Media - O2. At the top of my head but there are many more.

virgin media is cable and you still got to have their cable, but yes you are right you don't have to have their phone service.

O2 will follow, and I expect others will follow as well.

However I have no issues in taking a phone service if it meant getting Broadband.

That is you, not me. thankfully my last ADSL supplier was broadband only, which allowed me to choose what telecom company i wanted to use and I had one that offered a basic service for a decent price, not try and give me free this and free that, which is not really free as we pay for it in the end.

I still can't understand how Bt as a monopoly and they still are can get away with it?
    The regulators are Spineless. Example, Ofwot - United Utilitles treat the customers poorly, United Utilities know this as we as water consumers cannot choose to switch our services.

Maybe you are right, but I bet still bet you if BG would not allow someone to take their Gas unless they take their electric there would be hell to play.

i know a few people who still got BG for Gas and Npower for electric. Saying that I still know of one who got BT for broadband but their phone with someone else, that was only because they are still on a old package.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dmp wrote: »
    I'm with orange for the full package and it's a lot cheaper than having phone line with bt and broadband with orange, also looking forward to the chance of having fibre as I have a cabinet just feet from my house depending on how much they want for the service.
    Dave

But that is your choice, people should not be forced into it. If I went back to fixed line broadband, i would not know who to go to, maybe back to ADSL on the Cable and wireless network, that is if Cable and wireless don't get mucked around by Vodafone.
  • Options
    Steven L HunterSteven L Hunter Posts: 10,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tesco have recently added options on their website offering Broadband only so they have done the opposite and are promoting it now but more expensive.
  • Options
    Tony RichardsTony Richards Posts: 5,749
    Forum Member
    I've had Orange and its ancestors for years and only take Broadband. No one has told me I must have phone as well... yet. If they do I'll probably chuck them and my phone provider and go back to BT or rationalise everything with Sky.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tesco have recently added options on their website offering Broadband only so they have done the opposite and are promoting it now but more expensive.

Well done Tescos, but i wonder if that their LLU service only.
    For some people it may work out cheaper.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    Well done Tescos, but i wonder if that their LLU service only.
    For some people it may work out cheaper.

But you still need a landline. So if it will it save any money in the long run?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    madnes wrote: »
    But you still need a landline. So if it will it save any money in the long run?

Not always, just like it is not always cheaper to get your gas and electric from the same supplier.
    I have a mate who found that out and he saves money by having gas from one supplier and electric from another. a lot of mucking about mind you to find the best deal , I could not be bothered

Ok, if you go for something like Talk Talk which is dirt cheap anyway, then it would cost you more with another supplier, but if you go for a decent ISP, which cost more than Talk Talk anyway, not using their phone service may save you money or may offer you more.

when I was with ADSL24, I paid just under £20 for my broadband and about a tenner for my phone line rental from First telecoms. to me that was a good price for what I got. even then First telecom gave me free weekends and evenings, which I never used.

It is not all about price, it is also about service and getting what you want.

Like now I am getting the service I want, 10 Mb/s and no phone line.
  • Options
    sammyvinesammyvine Posts: 3,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had Orange and its ancestors for years and only take Broadband. No one has told me I must have phone as well... yet. If they do I'll probably chuck them and my phone provider and go back to BT or rationalise everything with Sky.

How is Orange Broadband

We are thinking of leaving BT

Not sure between Orange or Virgin
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    Not always, just like it is not always cheaper to get your gas and electric from the same supplier.
    I have a mate who found that out and he saves money by having gas from one supplier and electric from another. a lot of mucking about mind you to find the best deal , I could not be bothered

Ok, if you go for something like Talk Talk which is dirt cheap anyway, then it would cost you more with another supplier, but if you go for a decent ISP, which cost more than Talk Talk anyway, not using their phone service may save you money or may offer you more.

when I was with ADSL24, I paid just under £20 for my broadband and about a tenner for my phone line rental from First telecoms. to me that was a good price for what I got. even then First telecom gave me free weekends and evenings, which I never used.

It is not all about price, it is also about service and getting what you want.

Like now I am getting the service I want, 10 Mb/s and no phone line.

12 Mb/s with O2 and TalkTalk LLU

22 Mb/s with TalkTalk FTTC - BT resell package. (Did drop to 19 Mb/s due to BT and DLM software!!)

33 Mb/s with Virgin. (broadband, Line rental evening and weekends calls, M+ TV with 1x HD STB - £30.30 per month)
  • Options
    Tony RichardsTony Richards Posts: 5,749
    Forum Member
    sammyvine wrote: »
    How is Orange Broadband

We are thinking of leaving BT

Not sure between Orange or Virgin

Orange is not bad for everyday use and has been reliable for a long time. However Virgin is a totally different option as so long as you can be cabled in you would get much faster broadband. Also may involve different options - not something I know much about.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    sammyvine wrote: »
    How is Orange Broadband

It is ok until there is a problem.
    They have the worst customer service ever. We were without working internet for 10 days and customer service was no help at all. Their tech support call centre is not in the UK. They don't talk to the people who might be able to fix something.

They also tried to keep charging me after I'd cancelled. Billing Customer service was a little better than on the technical side. I had to pay for the calls since we were no longer Orange land line customers.