Options

[Game] The X Factor: Mix It Up! - Live Show #10: The Grand Final

EndOfSanityEndOfSanity Posts: 15,072
Forum Member
✭✭
Ladies and gentlemen, it's my pleasure to welcome you all back to Th X Factor: Mix It Up! once again.

Approximately 2 months ago, we started the search for a superstar among X Factor acts that never made the liveshows. A number of spectacular shows further it's finally time to answer the question you've all been asking yourselves since the day we started: who will be crowned the winner of The X Factor: Mix It Up?

52 became 36 during the auditions, 36 became 16 during bootcamp, and here's a summary of who has left the competition since:

16th - The Keys
15th - Marivana Viscuso
14th - Keri Arindell
=12th - Annastasia Baker
=12th - TJ Alcaniz
11th - The Reason
10th - The Lovettes
9th - Faye Bray
8th - Yuli Minguel
7th - Shanna Goodhead
6th - John Adams
5th - John Wilding
4th - Miss Fitz

So much talent, and we haven't even mentioned our final three at all yet. Last show, Miss Fitz went out with a bang, taking their mentor Soppyfan with them. He will have an important role as an independent judge tonight.

Today, the three remaining acts will be singing a number of songs. Firstly, they will each tackle a remix. After they've performed the aforementioned remix and a hit single, the lines will open and you will be able to vote for your favourite. After a short time has passed, the votes will freeze and the act that has the fewest votes at that moment will finish in 3rd place. Then, the remaining two acts will go head-to-head with a song they've performed earlier on the show and an all-new song that will be their winner's song!

With the format laid out, please welcome the final three and your Mix It Up! judges:

unclekevo and the last of the OVERS

Michelle Barrett

Soppyfan who has no remaining GROUPS

jackel1234 and the last of the GIRLS

Despina Pilavakis

SacredDiablo and the last of the BOYS

Brennin Hunt

This is it everyone, this is the GRAND FINAL!

Judges, are you all here and ready to kick off the final show?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello :)
  • Options
    jackel1234jackel1234 Posts: 5,218
    Forum Member
    Here :) might have to leave to eat as usual :)
  • Options
    SoppyfanSoppyfan Posts: 29,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm here and present. It's a bit lonely here on the panel, but may the best act win tonight. :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry for the delay, I realized I forgot to explain today's format in the opening post. :o

Anyway, let's kick off the Grand Final with a performance from the girls category.

Taking on a dubstep remix of all things, it's our wondergirl Despina Pilavakis: 'Slow Hands' by Azealia Banks! (DeRON dubstep remix)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYQh8SMUb3g&list=PLC6A6E366D32F327D&index=57&feature=plpp_video
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well first off, I'm not a fan of dubstep music because I find it depressing, but if it fits the song, then use it anyway possible. And with this remix, that was a brilliant way to start the Final. The control in your tone was going out in parts, but maybe it was nerves cause it's the Final. I hope you come back stronger, cause you have a lot to prove since you got to the live shows. But for now, a good performance to kick off, well done.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Despina Pilavakis

That was pretty good Despina, I have loved you in the past two weeks, this theme was pretty difficult as it's hard to get a remix that isn't full-on dubstep or makes the artist sound like a chipmunk. In that respect, your mentor did a good job to find a song like this that suits you in style. However, vocally, I thought there was a slightly discrepancy and I feel like this song would be better suited to the likes of Cher Lloyd vocally, with that said, it was still a really good performance, congratulations Despina!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Despina Pilavakis

Well, i do actually kinda like that choice of song but I honestly dont think it suited you that well. The vocals were lovely and it was fine but the song was a little to dull for my liking. It just laid at one spot and didnt quite go anywhere throughout the entire performance. I just thought that it really lacked conviction both vocally and stylistically. Nonetheless, you did a rather lovely job tonight. Well done to you and your mentor.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jack can catch up whenever he's ready, we need to move on!

The next act taking on a remix is the last over standing.

Please welcome Michelle Barrett singing a remix of 'Sing It Back' by Moloko!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hwRJZNT3QU
    Note by Kev: Obviously she wouldn't sing the 'Sing It Back To Me' with autotune, she would sing it like the original.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And we have the wrong link... :o

Should I change the song to match the link that Kev provided?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michelle, who would've thought it? Seeing you in the final makes me proud and you've come such a long way. This was a great song choice and I loved how it was totally groovy and upbeat for you. This is the kind of music I think you could release along with your acoustic style, a great performance from you tonight, great job.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michelle Barrett

Firstly, regardless of whichever remix of the song, i dont think that it would work as well as you would have wanted. Roisin Murphy has an beautiful voice but it is orientated towards Janet Devlin and Diana Vickers. Therefore, the song choice and performance didnt really impress me. I was really expecting much better from you tonight. However, you still did the best you could with the song and it was a great effort.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Despina Pilakivis

That was fantastic and I think you definately owned the stage with that fantastic remix! You showed off the urban edge and your soul edge vocals and I think that it was a great performance!

Michelle Barrett

This was interesting. I don't really think it suited your vocals as much as your mentor believed they would as the tone of the voice is a bit off with your voice. This is a tough theme for you as remixes really aren't in your style or ability but this just wasn't a good performance overall.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Michelle Barrett

That was divine, as soon as I heard this theme, I thought of this song because it has the rich vocals like yours Michelle but it's also incredibly fun and energetic. I thought that you did an absolutely stellar job with the song, it was such a great performance which you poured your heart and soul into and I must say that you really are a fantastic performer. Congratulations Michelle, I so hope you get the votes to win tonight.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let's hope that Kev will be here before the voting window opens to clear up the confusion regarding the link.

Anyway, the last act to perform his remix is SD's trump card.

It's Brennin Hunt taking on a classic: 'Sex on Fire' by Kings Of Leon (Digga Bit Remix)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qD2lcGeDHXw
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Standing Ovation*

Brennin, that was absolutely fan-bloody-tastic! Now the level of Grand Final awesomeness has begun. I love this song, but this remix that you were given was out of this world! That was an awesome style for your voice and it was without a doubt, your best performance of the Series! I bow down to you and your mentor for this performance! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brennin Hunt

On the downside Brennin, this was a very obvious choice of song. The track is very often chosen for rocky males on these shows so I'm slightly disappointed in that respect. However, as I said to Despina, because of the theme, it was difficult to choose a song that was perfectly suited to the artist and you put your own unique twist on the song rather than giving a karaoke rendition of it. I actually really liked that particular remix for you so well done Brennin, a really good performance!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brennin Hunt

That was just show stopping. This theme was the hardest for you as remixes dont exactly suit your voice and style at all. I had a few other choices but decided on this as it was finale appropriate. Some might say that the song is predictable but i would prefer to call it a REALISTIC choice of song. The song has great energy and it allows you bring the house down with the staging and vocals. You were hitting the chorus so hard and brilliantly and I also loved how your tone works amazingly on this song. It suited you really well and you delivered a really entertaining performance. You absolutely blew my mind right there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Brennin Hunt

Brennin this was a great choice for you! Seriously at the start I believe that's where you were strongest with the slow beat with your rough vocals. When the chorus came in I was a bit iffy on it but then the verses came back I started to get back into it. The choice was very predictable though on the downside but overall a good performance
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A great performance from Brennin there! The word "predictable" was used a few times, but on the other hand he also got a standing ovation, which we'll be seeing more of for sure.

Up next are the Hit Singles (I'll post them all at once to give the public a chance to vote for the first elimination).

Despina Pilavakis - 'Somebody That I Used To Know' by Gotye (Rita Ora cover)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFPoIOwx77M
    Note: Number 1 in multiple countries

Michelle Barrett - 'Burning' by Maria Arredondo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p03AEsZ52po
    Note: Number 1 in Norway

Brennin Hunt - 'More' by Usher (Alex Vargas cover)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ep8gVoePoGw
    Note: Number 1 in Canada
  • Options
    unclekevounclekevo Posts: 20,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oops :o

This is the link, I think it suits Michelle well :p

I'm going to get something to eat but I'll be back as soon as possible but you have my comments anyway EOS :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Despina Pilavakis

I'm not a great fan of Rita Ora but there is no denying that the vocals in this particular cover were perfectly suited to yours Despina, they were so smooth and bluesy and I absolutely loved the feel of the performance, the song is very suited to that sort of acoustic, laid-back style that this arrangement brought and I have to admit that you for me, in recent weeks have really came into your own and haven't put a foot wrong in the competition, if you win tonight Despina, you would be a very worthy winner although of course I'm hoping Michelle takes the crown!

Michelle Barrett

I know that this theme was probably more geared towards really well known tracks but I decided to go for something a bit more obscure that has been Number One in Norway because I feel like the song is just perfect for you. I love the whole feel of the song, it's very Delta Goodrem-esque and I think that you have exactly the right voice for the song, your vocals aren't overly powerful to the extent that every song you sing needs a power moment but your voice is very versatile and suits both the big notes and the subtle notes, it was amazing Michelle!

Brennin Hunt

I must admit that when I saw Usher, I thought, what is SD thinking? Thankfully, this was much better than I thought it was going to be. Your vocals aren't suited to urban songs at all but there was a really gritty edge to the cover artist's voice which was unmistakably reminiscent of yours Brennin, you did a really good job with the song, I do feel like the song feels more interesting with the original arrangement where the whole pace is much faster but overall, a really great performance once again Brennin and like I said to Despina, if you win tonight, you will be a worthy winner though I'm sure the other two would agree that it's probably going to be very tight tonight.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Despina Pilavakis

That was definitely much, much better than before. When you get a song that suits you to the ground, you just soar over the competition. You've done that a few times before, you've done it once again tonight, I absolutely enjoyed that one so much. I believe we will definitely see you in the Top 2, a fantastic performance.

Michelle Barrett

Michelle, I have enjoyed watching how far you've come. Whilst every performance you've given has been either a hit or miss, you've never given up. This song choices was beautiful and it was a great song that matched your voice. I think you should be very happy that you've got this far and no matter what happens, you're gonna be a big star after this, well done.

Brennin Hunt

You know what...I'm gonna have to say to the other judges, this guy could actually win this competition. For the second time tonight Brennin, you pulled out a totally spectacular performance. I have to say that it was a brilliant song that matched well with you voice. I really hope you make the final two, because you deserve to be very successful after tonight.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Despina Pilavakis

Despina this was an interesting week for you and me as with number 1's there aren't many that are really fitted to your soul and urban edge vocals so I had to go with a choice by an artist most people know of and will most likely call predictive but in all honesty this was a fantastic performance for you! It showed of your soul, urban edge and even some vocal gymnastics! Fantastic Despina!

Michelle Barrett

Michelle this was in all honestly a boring choice to me. Your vocals fitted the song very well but the problem was not much happned in the song and it was quite boring and it also felt really old fashioned compared to some of your other choices on the show.

Brennin Hunt

This was a great choice for your Brennin. I have been waiting for you to sing an Alex Vargas cover and it was a good choice for you, but I felt that some of the roughness in your vocals was lost in quite a few places of the song. That being said after your two performances tonight I think you're a shoe in for the final 2 tonight!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Despina Pilavakis

Yay! I really liked that performance. I wasnt blown away at all but it was really beautifully sang by you even thought the vocals were slightly off at points. I never thought much about Rita but it thought that your mentor made a good call. It suited you decently as that is pretty much where the song goes. Way better than the first performance. Well done on such a lovely performance.

Michelle Barret

Im not so sure about this. At times i thought that it great but i also felt that the vocals were really off at times as well. The lower register suited you really well and those were the only times where you did a good job. The mid-higher register were too sweet as compared to your tone and it didnt quite do it for me. Once again, that was much better than your first performance.

Brennin Hunt

Oh, you are just simply outstanding. The performance was just astounding. The vocals were juts perfect for your lower-mid register and you nailed it. I am amazed by the arrangement and dynamics of the song. The higher and raspier parts just gave me chills. You are particularly spectacular tonight. I believe after both rounds, you definitely gave everyone a run for their money.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's some good comments for everyone in there, but Despina, Michelle and Brennin can't advance together. They have done all they could possibly do to secure themselves a place in the final two. However, the term 'final two' dictates that one of the current acts must leave the competition before the next round of performances!

It will be you, the DS Public, who will make that decision. Here's a summary of the songs performed so far:
    Round 1: Remix
    Despina Pilavakis - 'Slow Hands' by Azealia Banks (DeRON dubstep remix)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYQh8SMUb3g&list=PLC6A6E366D32F327D&index=57&feature=plpp_video

Michelle Barrett - 'Sing It Back' by Moloko (remix)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsAmnx4S6Ds
    Note: Obviously she wouldn't sing the 'Sing It Back To Me' with autotune, she would sing it like the original.

Brennin Hunt - 'Sex on Fire' by Kings Of Leon (Digga Bit Remix)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qD2lcGeDHXw

Round 2: Hit Singles
    Despina Pilavakis - 'Somebody That I Used To Know' by Gotye (Rita Ora cover)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFPoIOwx77M
    Note: Number 1 in multiple countries

Michelle Barrett - 'Burning' by Maria Arredondo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p03AEsZ52po
    Note: Number 1 in Norway

Brennin Hunt - 'More' by Usher (Alex Vargas cover)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ep8gVoePoGw
    Note: Number 1 in Canada
    To vote, please rank the acts from 3 to 1, assigning 3 points to your favorite act, down to just 1 point for your least favorite act. Please take both performances into account when you vote. Mentors can vote as well, and they CAN vote for their own acts as well. After you've listed the acts, PM the list to me (send the PM to EndOfSanity).

The lines will remain open until 20:00, with the first act being eliminated soon after. That gives you about 45 minutes to vote. Don't forget to tell everyone that the lines are open and that they too can vote!

In the meantime, feel free to discuss the show or just The Grand Final - part 1 on this thread.