Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

ipad info required please!

Old 03-10-2012, 15:32
madasaflake
Forum Member

I am thinking of treating myself to an ipad soon and just have a couple of probably daft question. First, if I get one with 3g (and I understand what that is) and choose in the first instance not to use the 3g option by not subscribing to a data plan would I still be able to use it with the wifi option to access the net? Does the ipad need security software as the PC and laptop does? Thanks.
madasaflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 03-10-2012, 15:40
anniebrion
Inactive Member

I am thinking of treating myself to an ipad soon and just have a couple of probably daft question. First, if I get one with 3g (and I understand what that is) and choose in the first instance not to use the 3g option by not subscribing to a data plan would I still be able to use it with the wifi option to access the net? Does the ipad need security software as the PC and laptop does? Thanks.
I only have a WiFi iPad3 64GB so cannot answer the first question.

You don't need security software ie Antivirus, Firewall, Anti-Malware etc...
anniebrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 16:16
gemma-the-husky
Forum Member

yes - you can use wifi if available
gemma-the-husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 16:29
madasaflake
Forum Member

Thanks to both of you.
Old 03-10-2012, 16:39
Dickimuss
Forum Member

I you are like me you will find very few situations where you need a connection and are not near a suitable wifi source. If you are, and have suitable phone/data plan you can very easily tether the iPad to that. Unless you have specific opportunity to get a device on some special deal it is probably not worth paying extra for the 3G iPad 'just in case'. Especially as you will need a separate data plan to get the most out of it.

That's my 10 pence worth anyway.
Dickimuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 16:42
madasaflake
Forum Member

I you are like me you will find very few situations where you need a connection and are not near a suitable wifi source. If you are, and have suitable phone/data plan you can very easily tether the iPad to that. Unless you have specific opportunity to get a device on some special deal it is probably not worth paying extra for the 3G iPad 'just in case'. Especially as you will need a separate data plan to get the most out of it.

That's my 10 pence worth anyway.
Excellent advice - thanks. You are probably right - I was hoping there may be some special deals coming up to Xmas so if there were I could go for a 3g one, but if not I will stick to the wifi one. Just curious about the security question I asked - does it come with its own - why don't you need the same sort as a PC does?
Old 03-10-2012, 16:56
Rodney McKay
Forum Member

Excellent advice - thanks. You are probably right - I was hoping there may be some special deals coming up to Xmas so if there were I could go for a 3g one, but if not I will stick to the wifi one. Just curious about the security question I asked - does it come with its own - why don't you need the same sort as a PC does?
I'm not aware that the iPad is vulnerable to a virus, certainly if you only install software from the app store.

However, a lot of data theft goes on with things like fake sites, emails with dodgy links in it that take you to sites pretending to be your bank etc.

You just need to be careful about any site you visit that it's genuine and not a scam.
Rodney McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 17:10
Lysandar
Forum Member

Why doesn't an iPad need security apps or whatever?
Thanks
Lysandar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 17:21
Gormond
Forum Member

Why doesn't an iPad need security apps or whatever?
Thanks
The iPad can only download software from Apples App Store which has been checked by Apple for viruses and so forth.

If Apple happen to make a mistake and a virus slips through then Apple has the ability to remotely remove it from all effected devices.

Because of this walled garden there is no need for an anti virus app.

I assume the same can be said with Android devices if you dont disable the security setting to allow you do get apps from third party's as Google can also remotely remove viruses you may have downloaded from the Play store.
Gormond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 18:00
Lysandar
Forum Member

The iPad can only download software from Apples App Store which has been checked by Apple for viruses and so forth.

If Apple happen to make a mistake and a virus slips through then Apple has the ability to remotely remove it from all effected devices.

Because of this walled garden there is no need for an anti virus app.

I assume the same can be said with Android devices if you dont disable the security setting to allow you do get apps from third party's as Google can also remotely remove viruses you may have downloaded from the Play store.
Thanks, Gormond
..and no need for defragging either.
Lysandar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 19:46
Gormond
Forum Member

Thanks, Gormond
..and no need for defragging either.
Yeah that would just reduce the life of any type of flash storage.
Gormond is offline   Reply With Quote