Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

To buy or not to buy....

Old 04-10-2012, 04:16
shoegal7
Forum Member

I know everyone is going to have differing views but I'm completely lost and need advice.

Is it worth my while buying an Xbox now or should I wait for the hinted at new console? Thanks
shoegal7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:29
gavo360
Forum Member

The next console is rumoured to be out next Xmas but that will probably be 350-400. If you haven't played any consoles this gen then a 360 would be a good purchase because there is a huge library of games.
gavo360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 18:21
bob2005
Forum Member

I would no doubt recommend buying a new console so many great games available and in the pipeline.
bob2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 18:43
Ash_735
Forum Member

I wouldn't buy one at this point, with all the extra charges and stuff you need, you might as well wait for the Wii U.
Ash_735 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 18:47
Rum Monkey
Forum Member

Why wait, especially when it MIGHT be out by next Christmas? Life's too short - jump in!
Rum Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 19:16
2Dshmuplover
Forum Member

Now is the best time to buy the console as it has a HUGE back library of cheap games.
2Dshmuplover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 19:55
steven123
Forum Member

Now is the best time to buy the console as it has a HUGE back library of cheap games.
Exactly, as a gamer of over 25 years I have learnt (the hard way by buying early myself) that the early adopter always gets the poorest deal i.e. high system and game prices, very little choice of games initially and most launch games tend to compromise on gameplay and age very quickly indeed. I guess there is something to be said for having the latest kit but personally I would always prefer an established system with a great catalogue of games even if it isn't cutting edge any more.

The 360 is a fine console, you won't regret it.
steven123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 20:05
Ash_735
Forum Member

From a new buyer perspective though, I wouldn't say the Xbox 360 gives best value for money anymore, unless the OP has had some history with the Xbox 360 and already has a gamertag and stuff and an active Xbox Live Subscription, they'd be better off elsewhere with other platforms.
Old 04-10-2012, 20:27
seanf
Forum Member

From a new buyer perspective though, I wouldn't say the Xbox 360 gives best value for money anymore, unless the OP has had some history with the Xbox 360 and already has a gamertag and stuff and an active Xbox Live Subscription, they'd be better off elsewhere with other platforms.
What difference will it make if the op has a gamer tag . No one has a gamer tag until they get their first xbox and it takes all of 19 minutes to get a gamer tag.
As a play station owner from the launch of the first play station and then the ps2 and ps3 i would choose xbox over the ps every time my ps 3 was just an expensive door stop.
seanf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 20:38
John Hood
Forum Member

Won an Xbox 360 S this year and haven't looked back! My once beloved PS3 is now a glorified dust collector.
John Hood is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 20:38
Ash_735
Forum Member

What difference will it make if the op has a gamer tag . No one has a gamer tag until they get their first xbox and it takes all of 19 minutes to get a gamer tag.
As a play station owner from the launch of the first play station and then the ps2 and ps3 i would choose xbox over the ps every time my ps 3 was just an expensive door stop.
The difference is, if they already have an account they might already have some stuff, so as soon as they get the console they can sign back in and download stuff like their Arcade titles, etc, and have something to have a go on. Just my opinion of course but I do think for late comers, the Xbox 360 isn't the best choice when other services out there are offering more on the gamers side.
Old 04-10-2012, 23:57
Danger Close
Forum Member

The next gen consoles are over a year away at least and even after launch they'll take time to build up a good selection of games so a lot of people will transfer they're HD content to the new console and pick up where they left off for a while.

I think the 360 is great value for money and if I didn't have one already and I had the money I wouldn't hesitate. That's not to say the PS3 isn't a worthy console either but I haven't used mine to play games since Uncharted 2 (I have UC3 but just can't be arsed) and I now use it exclusively as a blu ray player as I found the 360 to be a better machine for gaming. It has a few of my favourite franchises: Gears, Halo, Forza and tends to get updates and DLC first.
Danger Close is online now   Reply With Quote