Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Things to do with a dead Kindle?

Old 05-10-2012, 11:59
Gooby
Forum Member

Sad to report that after 1 year and 4 months my kindle (keyboard 3G and wifi) has died. It is constantly rebooting and just won't stop until it has run out of battery.

I have tried everything and spent several hours with kindle online support and sad to say it is just not working and out of warranty and no-one can fix it.

I have bought a replacement but it just feels wrong to throw it away.

What can i do with it?
Gooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:01
Nasalhair
Forum Member

Sad to report that after 1 year and 4 months my kindle (keyboard 3G and wifi) has died. It is constantly rebooting and just won't stop until it has run out of battery.

I have tried everything and spent several hours with kindle online support and sad to say it is just not working and out of warranty and no-one can fix it.

What can i do with it?
Don't throw it away - take it to your local tip and dispose of it in the correct area for electrical items. There's nothing else you can do with it.
Nasalhair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:01
Fletch10
Forum Member

Use it as a coaster?
Fletch10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:02
Gooby
Forum Member

Don't throw it away - take it to your local tip and dispose of it in the correct area for electrical items. There's nothing else you can do with it.
Sorry - that is what i meant by throw it away!
Gooby
Forum Member

Use it as a coaster?
To distracting with the whole reboot thing going on
Mr. Cool
Inactive Member

Hold down 'Home' while it is rebooting as this will enter the recovery mode and might bring it back to life...
Mr. Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:09
Gooby
Forum Member

Hold down 'Home' while it is rebooting as this will enter the recovery mode and might bring it back to life...
Thanks for tip - tried it and still rebooting again -but now in between reboots the screen is frozen!

can anyone use it for repairs - screen and casing is fine
Old 05-10-2012, 12:15
Mr. Cool
Inactive Member

Thanks for tip - tried it and still rebooting again -but now in between reboots the screen is frozen!

can anyone use it for repairs - screen and casing is fine
Just chuck it then

It might have been caused by a completely discharged battery...
Mr. Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 13:28
Gooby
Forum Member

One last thing - i have just found a great chrome extension called 'send to kindle'. It is really cool - it sends a nicely formatted version of any webpage to your kindle so you can read at your leisure.

I find it really useful when new newsletters/bulletins are released.

Our techies find it useful for keeping copies of useful techie stuff.
Old 05-10-2012, 13:42
TrevorFowler
Forum Member

What can i do with it?
I'd be inclined to dismantle it and get at the SIM card which it will have in it and see whether it will work in a device such as an ordinary tablet that supports SIM cards.
TrevorFowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 14:36
Gooby
Forum Member

I'd be inclined to dismantle it and get at the SIM card which it will have in it and see whether it will work in a device such as an ordinary tablet that supports SIM cards.
Like the idea of dismantling it - not sure I have a need for the sim card but I can then learn how it comes apart and keep the screen/casing etc for spares if mine goes wrong - we have a winner!! Thank you.
Old 05-10-2012, 14:37
paulbrock
Forum Member

chopping board?
paulbrock is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 14:53
Sniffle774
Forum Member

Claim for a fix / replacement on the house insurance (if your covered).
Sniffle774 is online now Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 18:16
TheCableGuy
Forum Member

I'd put a complaint into Amazon for a replacement of money off a new one. The kindle has not real moving parts, so shouldn't break after a year and a bit.

Electronic items bought in the uk have a two year warrantee, but a lot of retailers will try to get you to prove its up to them to replace.

Worth a go anyway. I realise you said you've bought a new one. Could try and get some money off it or vouchers for the Kindle store.
TheCableGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 18:21
LostFool
Forum Member

I'd put a complaint into Amazon for a replacement of money off a new one. The kindle has not .
Yes, do that. My Kindle (3G Keyboard) died after 18 months. That's outside the warranty period but Amazon offered me a replacement for 50 and asked me to return the dead one.
LostFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 21:06
Orbitalzone
Forum Member

I'd do that too, don't bother trying to use the SIM in another device as it almost certainly won't work....Amazon aren't stupid and don't allow their 3G worldwide SIM to be used in anything other than the Kindle otherwise we'd all do it when travelling abroad!
Orbitalzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 22:32
carax
Forum Member

Yes, do that. My Kindle (3G Keyboard) died after 18 months. That's outside the warranty period but Amazon offered me a replacement for 50 and asked me to return the dead one.
Was that a while ago? Mine just died after 17 months and Amazon offered buttons off the Touch and bog standard one. No deals on the 3G, and it seems the only place you can get it these days is on Amazon - if you're prepared to wait 3-4 weeks.

I did love the Kindle but have no intention of spending 150 on an e-reader every year and a half (or even a lesser amount; it's the principle of the thing), so it's back to proper books for me.

Meantime, I'm curious to see just how the reviews on the website shift as more and more people discover that Kindles just ain't built to last....
carax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 00:21
Martintea
Forum Member

Use it to light a fire..kindling
Martintea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 01:04
Sniffle774
Forum Member

I'd put a complaint into Amazon for a replacement of money off a new one. The kindle has not real moving parts, so shouldn't break after a year and a bit.

Electronic items bought in the uk have a two year warrantee, but a lot of retailers will try to get you to prove its up to them to replace.

Worth a go anyway. I realise you said you've bought a new one. Could try and get some money off it or vouchers for the Kindle store.
Good point that. Quick call to consumer direct as well, they can advice you on the right laws to quote.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:30
IvanIV
Forum Member

I didn't realise it broke down so often. Mine is still OK after 2 years, knock Kindle plastic. But when it breaks down I think I'll go for Sony, they look more robust. Those with Android can be jailbroken and you can install Kindle app on it.
IvanIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:52
geordiejackie
Inactive Member

Glue it to your pavement and have fun watching people try to pick it up
regards jack
geordiejackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:06
Sniffle774
Forum Member

Glue it to your pavement and have fun watching people try to pick it up
regards jack
Bad man, bad, bad man. Brilliant idea tho.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:36
LostFool
Forum Member

Was that a while ago? Mine just died after 17 months and Amazon offered buttons off the Touch and bog standard one. No deals on the 3G, and it seems the only place you can get it these days is on Amazon - if you're prepared to wait 3-4 weeks..
It was about 2 months ago. No waiting time either - the replacement 3G KK came within 3 days and they told me to return the dead one in packaging the new one came in.
LostFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 19:31
carax
Forum Member

Hm, maybe they were hoping I'll wait a few weeks and buy a Kindle Fire.

That'll be shining bright.

Meantime, the technology section of the Telegraph refers to this being a fairly common problem and mutters about manufacturing faults...

Think I can feel another email coming on.
carax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 22:23
IvanIV
Forum Member

They need to beat up those Chinese workers more often.
IvanIV is offline   Reply With Quote