Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Cineworld Unlimited Refer A Friend - 1 month free (referral code thread)

Old 03-07-2014, 21:50
FusionFury
Forum Member

Wondering what everyone thought was the best jack the ripper movie?

I liked From Hell and the one in 1988 with Michael Caine

What is everyone elses?
FusionFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 03-07-2014, 22:12
Ben_Fisher1
Forum Member

I personally don't think there's yet been a decent serious movie account of the murders. They're usually B movie standard, or outlandish expressions of the various theories. I think the Michael Caine TV drama of 1988 the best so far, but even that was a bit corny.
I would love a serious big screen version, that just told the facts, without the mythology and melodrama ( the Johnny Depp 'From Hell' was ridiculous). one which focuses on the lives of the victims more. I think the victims are the most interesting aspect of the case, they reveal as much horror in their back-stories, as the actual killings themselves.
Ben_Fisher1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 22:53
Chris1964
Forum Member

Wondering what everyone thought was the best jack the ripper movie?

I liked From Hell and the one in 1988 with Michael Caine

What is everyone elses?
I liked From Hell too. Simply fantastic atmosphere.
Chris1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 23:09
gerry d
Forum Member

There's a film called Murder By Decree.Christopher Plummer as Sherlock Holmes & James Mason as Dr Watson.I haven't seen the film in years but i did enjoy it when i was younger.

I haven't seen many Jack The Ripper films.
gerry d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:14
sinbad8982
Forum Member

Time after Time, H.G wells builds a time machine and his friend (unbeknown to him jack the ripper) escapes to the present day in it (albeit 1979 as that was when it was made). Malcolm Mcdowell as H.g wells and David Warner as J.R, its a classic!

And explains why Jack the ripper was never caught so it must be true!
sinbad8982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:10
intruder2k
Forum Member

Has to be Jack the Ripper, the British horror film from 1959. Black and white throughout, then turns to blood-red colour for the grisly climax
intruder2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:27
ironjade
Forum Member

Murder by Decree
A Study in Terror
ironjade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:49
yaristaman
Forum Member

Definitely the Michael Caine film. Loved it back in '88 and it still holds up well now.
yaristaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 13:12
CLL Dodge
Forum Member

Loved Murder by Decree at the time, though the theory behind the film is almost as fanciful as the equally good Time after Time.
CLL Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 13:17
Jim_McIntosh
Forum Member

Can't think of any others I've seen other than those two you mention - which were okay.

The best movie with any connection to JtR if you asked critics might be The Lodger which is an old Hitchcock movie I haven't seen.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0017075/?ref_=nv_sr_2
Jim_McIntosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 14:24
CLL Dodge
Forum Member

Can't think of any others I've seen other than those two you mention - which were okay.

The best movie with any connection to JtR if you asked critics might be The Lodger which is an old Hitchcock movie I haven't seen.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0017075/?ref_=nv_sr_2
Remade several times since, notably in 1944 with the tragic Laird Cregar as the rippper.
Old 06-07-2014, 19:00
rufus oculus
Forum Member

The Hitchcock Lodger is well worth seeking out. Ivor Novello had the perfect expressive face for silent cinema. The film was when Hitchcock really got into his stride and includes the famous feet pacing on a glass floor scene. Laird Cregar was a marvellous actor too and now almost forgotten. Dead at 29 after going on a crash diet for his last classic film Hangover Square.

Talking about Jack the Ripper how about Pandora's Box where Louise Brooks' delicious Lulu comes to her end at the hands of Jack?
rufus oculus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:18
Peachy Keen
Forum Member

Another thumbs up for 'Murder By Decree' and 'Time After Time'. The former was directed by the late Bob Clark who also made the cult classic 'Black Christmas' (original version).

An honourable mention must go to Hammer's 'Hands Of The Ripper' which added a new twist to the tale of Jack The Ripper in which his daughter inherited her father's murderous traits. A Blu-ray will be released soon along with another Hammer tale 'Twins Of Evil'. Cue moaning on a certain forum probably because a dissolve has been cut short at the end of an insignificant scene !
Peachy Keen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:59
CLL Dodge
Forum Member

Another thumbs up for 'Murder By Decree' and 'Time After Time'. The former was directed by the late Bob Clark who also made the cult classic 'Black Christmas' (original version).

An honourable mention must go to Hammer's 'Hands Of The Ripper' which added a new twist to the tale of Jack The Ripper in which his daughter inherited her father's murderous traits. A Blu-ray will be released soon along with another Hammer tale 'Twins Of Evil'. Cue moaning on a certain forum probably because a dissolve has been cut short at the end of an insignificant scene !
So why cut it?
Old 07-07-2014, 12:10
Peachy Keen
Forum Member

I'm not referring to 'Hands Of The Ripper', but it seems almost every Hammer Blu-ray release has something wrong with the disc. It can be a case of dodgy audio synch, incorrect ratio, poor colour grading, added CGI effects and, of course, scenes being cut short!

I can understand most criticisms on this particular forum but sometimes it can come over as moaning for moaning sake!
Peachy Keen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:16
FusionFury
Forum Member

I don't understand why they cute scenes.. people want to relive the same movie from their childhoods, so cutting scenes is going to annoy them when they feel they are not getting the full experience.
FusionFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 17:14
victor mel
Forum Member

Another vote for From Hell
victor mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 07:06
gemma-the-husky
Forum Member

If you have read the Steven knight book, then From Hell is delightful. Wonderful ending.
gemma-the-husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 22:29
Tremse
Forum Member

I do like the Michael Caine/Lewis Collins 'Jack the Ripper' film but wasn't it a made-for-TV film? I don't remember seeing get a cinema release. Can't say I agree with the conclusion but it's got a great build up.
Tremse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 09:16
Takae
Forum Member

The Hitchcock Lodger is well worth seeking out. Ivor Novello had the perfect expressive face for silent cinema. The film was when Hitchcock really got into his stride and includes the famous feet pacing on a glass floor scene. Laird Cregar was a marvellous actor too and now almost forgotten. Dead at 29 after going on a crash diet for his last classic film Hangover Square.

Talking about Jack the Ripper how about Pandora's Box where Louise Brooks' delicious Lulu comes to her end at the hands of Jack?
Those are the films that come to mind when I read the thread title. Novello appeared in The Lodger twice, though. One is silent and the other is a talkie. I agree Cregar was pretty decent with his take, too. I think The Lodger is the only film I saw him in, so I'll have to check out his other films. Oh, I saw another adaptation (there are seven adaptations of the book so far, I think) a few years ago, and it was dreadful. There's something about Simon Baker that makes me want to shove him off a cliff as well.

Pandora's Box is made of awesome. Later adaptations of Lulu pale in comparison, too.

Time After Time has my vote as well. I still wish David Warner had more screen time, but what he made do with his character was spot on.

I didn't like From Hell when I saw it at cinema, but I can't remember why.
Takae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 09:22
CLL Dodge
Forum Member

I do like the Michael Caine/Lewis Collins 'Jack the Ripper' film but wasn't it a made-for-TV film? I don't remember seeing get a cinema release. Can't say I agree with the conclusion but it's got a great build up.
Yes, it was never certified for cinema exhibition (it's over 3 hours long as it was originally a mini-series). TV and video only.
Old 10-07-2014, 13:12
stripedcat
Forum Member

Yes - the Michael Caine one does have its moments. Even if, it's a made for TV movie.
stripedcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 16:17
Ancient IDTV
Forum Member

I like the bit in 'Amazon Women on the Moon' where Jack the Ripper is proved to have been The Loch Ness Monster.
Ancient IDTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 20:58
rufus oculus
Forum Member

I like the bit in 'Amazon Women on the Moon' where Jack the Ripper is proved to have been The Loch Ness Monster.
I gotta see this
rufus oculus is offline   Reply With Quote