DS Forums

Cineworld Unlimited Refer A Friend - 1 month free (referral code thread)

Old 16-05-2015, 07:55
henry_hope
Forum Member

A wonderful film reminding me of a history I had almost forgotten, and a human tragedy that brought me to tears,despite the comic moments.It was exhausting to watch.
I can see why it won awards.

There is a lot of history that gets excluded from national debate.
henry_hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 16-05-2015, 12:55
Iggyman
Forum Member

I really enjoyed it too - very well written with some great performances.
Iggyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2015, 15:08
Irma Bunt
Forum Member

As a gay man who came out in the 1980s, I confess I find Pride wholly overrated. That is not to say I think it's bad; parts of it are very good, indeed.

The problem for me is that the tone throughout is very uneven. Pride doesn't know what it really wants to be. It yearns to be a serious political film, but it also wants to tap into the Richard Curtis feel good Brit flick vibe. And it spends most of its time meandering between the two. Some potentially fascinating characters and situations are also squandered. The homophobic mother of the two sons was a great counterpoint to the general support the gay characters were getting, but she was so thinly-drawn and one dimensional that she might as well have not been in the film. The film also assumes support of the miners. Well, sorry, but that was not the national mood at the time. I didn't support the miners then, I don't now.

Having said all that, other parts of the film are hugely enjoyable and most of the performances are top notch. I say most, because I thought Ben Schnetzer was atrocious; for me, it's one of the worst performances I've seen recently.
Irma Bunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2015, 19:43
sh@ron
Forum Member

The problem for me is that the tone throughout is very uneven. Pride doesn't know what it really wants to be. It yearns to be a serious political film, but it also wants to tap into the Richard Curtis feel good Brit flick vibe. And it spends most of its time meandering between the two.
that's exactly what I thought when I watched it. I loved it until the final Act and then it got terribly messy - it was as if someone thought 'oh and by the way, gay men were dying' - and dedicated the final Act of the film to dealing with this topic.
sh@ron is offline   Reply With Quote