Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Artists who have wrote songs for others (but bizarre choices)

Old 10-10-2012, 20:46
tracystapes
Inactive Member

I was shocked to find out that Alison Moyet co-wrote 'If this is love' by the Saturdays! As well as "lend" her former group Yazoo's sample to compliment the track. Well I never.

I did also hear that Lady Gaga wrote 'telephone' FOR Britney, Britney rejected it and then Gaga recorded it with Beyonce.
tracystapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 10-10-2012, 20:51
mimicole
Forum Member

I was shocked to find out that Alison Moyet co-wrote 'If this is love' by the Saturdays! As well as "lend" her former group Yazoo's sample to compliment the track. Well I never.

I did also hear that Lady Gaga wrote 'telephone' FOR Britney, Britney rejected it and then Gaga recorded it with Beyonce.
I didn't know about The Saturdays track (though I was always aware of the Yazoo sample).
mimicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 20:56
tracystapes
Inactive Member

I didn't know about The Saturdays track (though I was always aware of the Yazoo sample).
It's quite random isn't it? I was just looking through the credit notes of 'if this is love' (because I was sure it was sampled from Yazoo) and I was shocked to see of Moyet's involvement! Not "dissing" the Saturdays but really thought they wouldn't be her cup of tea
Old 10-10-2012, 21:10
jumbotrousers
Forum Member

I think it very doubtful that Moyet actually sat in a room whilst the song was written. I suspect she is credited on the track because of the "Situation" sample, which she co-wrote.
jumbotrousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 21:12
RickWhite
Inactive Member

Didn't madonna write a Song for gary barlow? Bizzare at the time as it was many years before she became an official anglophile
RickWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 21:13
tracystapes
Inactive Member

I think it very doubtful that Moyet actually sat in a room whilst the song was written. I suspect she is credited on the track because of the "Situation" sample, which she co-wrote.
Who knows, this was what I read though:

"If This Is Love" is a song performed by British-Irish recording girl group The Saturdays from their debut studio album, Chasing Lights (2008). It was co-written by Joe Belmaati, Michaela Breen, Vince Clarke, Mich Hansen, Alison Moyet, John Reid, Remee and Ina Wroldsen. The song was produced by Belmaati in collaboration with Cutfather. The track samples a heavily-sythesised backing rhythm from Yazoo's 1982 song "Situation".
Old 10-10-2012, 21:19
jumbotrousers
Forum Member

Yeah, I think that probably in the terms of allowing them to use the sample, both Vince Clarke and Alison Moyet got equal songwriting credits - presumably because they get more cash that way. But I might be wrong.

As for songwriting for others, I was always suprised that Dido wrote "I'm Not A Girl..." for Britney.
jumbotrousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 21:23
pinkbigbrother
Forum Member

Haven't heard them yet but Pink wrote a couple of songs for Cher's new album.
pinkbigbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 21:43
mcal
Forum Member

Kylie Minogues,' spinning around 'was written by Paula Abdul initially for her own album but then given to kylie
mcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 21:47
cashloot147
Forum Member

Kelly Clarkson wrote a song for One Direction's album which I thought was a strange mix.

Diana Vickers also wrote a song which was used as a duet for Jennifer Lopez and Enrique Iglesias.
cashloot147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 21:49
XFactorFanatic1
Inactive Member

I wrote a song for Jamelia about a karaoke night I had with the girls.
XFactorFanatic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 21:52
Zack06
Forum Member

I always found it a bit weird that Coldplay's Chris Martin co-wrote that song with Jamelia. Also Pixie Lott writing a song for Alexandra was a bit random too...
Zack06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 21:53
cashloot147
Forum Member

James Morrison writing for Olly Murs was another weird one.
cashloot147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 22:13
chrissielatham
Forum Member

Cyndi Lauper wrote a track for Steps back in the day
chrissielatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 22:24
kryskrys
Forum Member

I always find it weird when I see Simon Cowell's name on the writing credits for Leona Lewis' Footprints In The Sand. But I don't think he actually wrote any of the lyrics, he just came up with the concept of the song.

It's also quite weird that Amelle Berrabah has a songwriting credit on Mutya Buena's solo album (seeing as she replaced her in the Sugababes). Mutya wasn't happy about it and forced Amelle to use a fake name on the writing credits.
kryskrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 23:46
farscape
Forum Member

Didn't madonna write a Song for gary barlow? Bizzare at the time as it was many years before she became an official anglophile
It was a song she wrote and recorded for herself for her Bedtime Stories album but missed the final cut. You can hear her version on youtube. Years later the official story was that she was a fan of Take That and gave it to Gary hence how "Love Wont Wait" ended up on his solo debut.

Enrique Iglesias has actualy had it happen to him many times that songs he's co-written for himself but missed the cut of his albums for whatever reason have ended up being taken up by others.

"The Way" by American Idol runnerup Clay Aiken was the first. He also had one song he wrote with Guy Chambers translated into Italian as "Un Nuovo Giorno" and released in opera style by Andrea Bocelli. The English version was recorded by Spice Girl Melanie C as "First Day of Your Life" and was a big hit in continental Europe. Songs co-written by Enrique and Greg Alexander of the New Radicals for Enrique's Seven album ended up being recorded by an early noughties lineup of The Hollies, infact they even cover him on the album.

The closest he's ever been to specificaly writing for another artist is writing Jennifer Lopez's "Dance Again" with Redone as a duet between him and JLO. Everyone involved felt that it suited better as a song for a woman and they let her have it.
farscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 23:54
twingle
Forum Member

Kelly Clarkson wrote a song for One Direction's album which I thought was a strange mix.

Diana Vickers also wrote a song which was used as a duet for Jennifer Lopez and Enrique Iglesias.
Not really when you think they sang one of her songs on X factor and the tour

Tom Fletcher from McFly and Ed Sheeran also wrote tracks for their album
twingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 00:11
Hav_mor91
Forum Member

I know Lana Del Rey didn't specifically write Ghetto Baby for Cheryl Cole but those two in the sam sentence is an oddity.
Hav_mor91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:32
ontheloop54
Forum Member

Samantha Fox co-wrote an All Saints song!

Natalie Appleton co-wrote the track "Dreams" with Samantha Fox. Fox said she is credited on the song as "Karen Wilkin" because All Saints refused to record the song if she used her real name.
ontheloop54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:15
sjp07
Forum Member

Justin Bieber wrote one of Fantasia's songs. That is a truly bizarre mix.
sjp07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:24
Brummy Girl
Forum Member

Lulu wrote or co-wrote a song that Tina Turner recorded. It was called 'I Don't Want To Hurt No More'. I can't remember if it was specifically written for Tina or Lulu wrote it for herself and somehow Tina acquired it.
Brummy Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:36
cnbcwatcher
Forum Member

I never knew about the Saturdays song although I knew about the sample. I did know about Telephone though.
cnbcwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:40
my name is joe
Forum Member

Elvis Costello wrote a whole album for Wendy James of Transvision vamp fame
my name is joe is offline   Reply With Quote