Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Led Zeppelin next week.

Old 11-10-2012, 22:15
Richard1960
Forum Member

Music event of the year for me. Never thought i would see this show released.

http://www.cineworld.co.uk/whatson/5657

Apart from a possible stones tour.
Richard1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 11-10-2012, 22:47
PunksNotDead
Forum Member

Can't wait!
PunksNotDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 22:57
Pilotofthestorm
Forum Member

Was gutted when I didn't get tickets to see them in 2007 so this is the next best thing.......cannot wait to see this on the big screen
Pilotofthestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:42
PunksNotDead
Forum Member

The song remains the same is one of my favorite concert films, love it
PunksNotDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:21
smithy78
Forum Member

I'm playing a gig with my band next Friday then going we're going to go and watch the masters in cinema after! Can't wait!
smithy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:29
Richard1960
Forum Member

I'm playing a gig with my band next Friday then going we're going to go and watch the masters in cinema after! Can't wait!
Should be good i enjoyed "The song remains the same" at the cinema i hope the sound system does this one justice too.
Richard1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 14:59
Deep Purple
Forum Member

I bought the blu ray and cd this week. Absolutely brilliant. Would have loved to be there.

An edited version of the show is on BBC 2 tonight. Any rock fan should watch it.
Deep Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 15:03
gold2040
Forum Member

You will not be disappointed, trust me

Saw the Bluray on my mates 55" 3D Samsung, was a thing of beauty
gold2040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 17:06
unique
Forum Member

the bluray is great. i'd avoid the edited version and get the full version if you like zep. i watched the song remains the same bluray the following day for comparison, weirdness and all. whoever had the idea to film the fantasy scenes obviously had some great drugs
unique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 20:31
bryemycaz
Forum Member

the bluray is great. i'd avoid the edited version and get the full version if you like zep. i watched the song remains the same bluray the following day for comparison, weirdness and all. whoever had the idea to film the fantasy scenes obviously had some great drugs
Indeed apart from Bonzo who did what most men would love to do. Drive a car really fast.
bryemycaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 22:04
unique
Forum Member

Indeed apart from Bonzo who did what most men would do. Drive a car really fast.
fixed

but that car? wtf. didn't the number plates say "MOMONEVANSENSE"
unique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 22:32
Pilotofthestorm
Forum Member

BBC2 10:45 Led Leppelin live in London - 2007. Should be a good watch
Pilotofthestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 23:42
mike65
Forum Member

the BBC sound is terrible to my ears, ditto AC/DC yesterday. Thin and tinny.
mike65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:26
Deep Purple
Forum Member

the BBC sound is terrible to my ears, ditto AC/DC yesterday. Thin and tinny.
Buy the dvd and cd. It sounds amazing.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:44
culttvfan
Forum Member

It's sad to see a once great guitarist like Jimmy Page giving a performance like this. Where once there were precise, lightning fast solos, Since I've Been Loving You being a good case in point, instead we simply got a succession of bum notes, open strings picked by mistake etc. Angus Young also demonstrated the night before that he too has lost his ability for the fast stuff, but at least his riffs and rhythm work had bite and precision, unlike Jimmy Page.

However, I thought Robert Plant's voice has held up very well. Add to that John Paul Jones' virtuosity, which remains largely intact, and Jason Bonham's excellent drumming (seemed as good as his dad to me), and you have a concert with just one flaw, but a very big one.
culttvfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:56
gomezz
Forum Member

I have always thought of him as the most limited player of the big names to come out of the Yardbirds but continue to enjoy his work on the first four LZ albums.
gomezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:41
culttvfan
Forum Member

I agree. His technique was never that good but he was able to mask this in his early days with the reflexes and coordination of a young man, but as these declined his shortcomings became all too apparent.
Old 11-12-2012, 13:21
Deep Purple
Forum Member

I agree. His technique was never that good but he was able to mask this in his early days with the reflexes and coordination of a young man, but as these declined his shortcomings became all too apparent.
That may be the case for some, but it misses the point really.

This was a massive event, and very few would be concerned about a few bum notes. He always had a tendency for sloppiness in the old days, but fans didn't care.

Led Zeppelin shows were events, and a display of raw rock music. This concert was a great example of that, and I suspect most fans loved it, warts and all, not that there were many.
Old 11-12-2012, 13:59
Glawster2002
Forum Member

That may be the case for some, but it misses the point really.

This was a massive event, and very few would be concerned about a few bum notes. He always had a tendency for sloppiness in the old days, but fans didn't care.

Led Zeppelin shows were events, and a display of raw rock music. This concert was a great example of that, and I suspect most fans loved it, warts and all, not that there were many.
I think it completely misses the point of what live music is all about.
Glawster2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 18:05
mgvsmith
Forum Member

I must admit I watched the X Factor final and then Led Zepp and despite all the talk about James Arthur etc. Zeppelin would just blow all that X Factor stuff away.

I accept that Jimmy Page is not quite what he was but the rest are right up there.

In the 70s though I always preferred The Who because of their sheer power and variety but it was great hearing Plant and Co again.
mgvsmith is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 15:32
culttvfan
Forum Member

Led Zeppelin shows were events, and a display of raw rock music. This concert was a great example of that, and I suspect most fans loved it, warts and all
I agree that Led Zep concerts were events of raw rock music, but key ingredients of this were Page's power and energy, both of which he now sorely lacks, thus the 02 concert was anything but a great example of this.

And this is even before considering his declining skills as a guitarist. Whether or not you're viewing an event through nostalgia-tinted specs, in my opinion there still needs to be a minimum acceptable standard of musicianship, particularly considering the very high ticket prices for the 02 gig. Unfortunately, Jimmy Page came nowhere near meeting this minimum standard.
Old 12-12-2012, 19:56
Deep Purple
Forum Member

I agree that Led Zep concerts were events of raw rock music, but key ingredients of this were Page's power and energy, both of which he now sorely lacks, thus the 02 concert was anything but a great example of this.

And this is even before considering his declining skills as a guitarist. Whether or not you're viewing an event through nostalgia-tinted specs, in my opinion there still needs to be a minimum acceptable standard of musicianship, particularly considering the very high ticket prices for the 02 gig. Unfortunately, Jimmy Page came nowhere near meeting this minimum standard.
I suspect the 20 million who applied for tickets didn't really care about how close he was to years gone by. This was Led Zeppelin playing a one off, to be enjoyed for what it was. It was actually much better than I hoped for.

The BBC sound always leaves it a bit dicey, but I have the blu ray and cds, and they sound great.

Those in attendance seemed to enjoy it too.

If I want perfection, I listen to the original albums, but live shows need a bit of character, and if some notes are wrong in a show like this, who really cares? Apart from you of course.

Some say the same as you about the Stones, and Who, but they actually still put on great shows, although not at the peak of their powers, but still very good.
Old 12-12-2012, 20:20
young man blues
Forum Member

ive just brought the blueRay of led zep.. Celebration Day,My God,to say it was stunning just wouldnt be enough.After all these years and they can still generate so much power on stage,Truly mindblowing!!!!!!
young man blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 22:30
Bevrinton
Forum Member

It's sad to see a once great guitarist like Jimmy Page giving a performance like this. Where once there were precise, lightning fast solos, Since I've Been Loving You being a good case in point, instead we simply got a succession of bum notes, open strings picked by mistake etc. Angus Young also demonstrated the night before that he too has lost his ability for the fast stuff, but at least his riffs and rhythm work had bite and precision, unlike Jimmy Page.

However, I thought Robert Plant's voice has held up very well. Add to that John Paul Jones' virtuosity, which remains largely intact, and Jason Bonham's excellent drumming (seemed as good as his dad to me), and you have a concert with just one flaw, but a very big one.
Out of all the guitarist of that era Eric Clapton , Jimmy Page , Jeff Beck etc I think Pete Townshend is still a great guitar player that has got better with age , the guitar even looks the best on him and he is such a natural player , Check out the Who in the concert for New York which was a 9/11 tribute concert on YouTube the Who just blow everyone else away with Pete spanking the plank and doing the windmills great stuff .
Seen Jeff Beck live amazing guitar player and saw Tommy Emmanuel not long ago who I rate as one of the best guitar players in the world , but for me my favourite guitarist I ever saw live was Stevie Ray Vaughan , blew me head off .
Bevrinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 19:38
culttvfan
Forum Member

Those in attendance seemed to enjoy it too.
I'm sure you're right. A less discerning fan there for the occasion rather than the musicianship would have thoroughly enjoyed it

...live shows need a bit of character
Spot on, and thanks to JP this one had very little.

Some say the same as you about the Stones...but they actually still put on great shows.
You're kidding, right? The Stones have been a gravy train pantomime act for decades. I don't listen to anything of theirs after Let It Bleed.