Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Bring back the old auditions!

Old 13-10-2012, 16:54
brb
Forum Member

Heyy,

so, I've just been watching some videos on YouTube of the old X Factor audition process in the rooms with "just" the judges and the auditionee. The way in which the judges bounce of each other there is amazing and something you don't see in the new audition process.

Like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNlnG0IcaUY - it's great! and something which is missing from the current process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vrt...eature=related or this one! The chemistry is great between the 3 judges

What do you all think?
brb is online now Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 13-10-2012, 16:56
imahottie
Forum Member

Heyy,

so, I've just been watching some videos on YouTube of the old X Factor audition process in the rooms with "just" the judges and the auditionee. The way in which the judges bounce of each other there is amazing and something you don't see in the new audition process.

Like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNlnG0IcaUY - it's great! and something which is missing from the current process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vrt...eature=related or this one! The chemistry is great between the 3 judges

What do you all think?
yepp ... i agree
imahottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2012, 17:02
InMyArms
Forum Member

It wont happen because in Simon's mind bigger is better.
InMyArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2012, 17:19
beckham76

Think the good thing about the old auditions is that the contestants always improved as the rounds got bigger.. now alot peak at audition stage now!
beckham76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2012, 17:28
rhancock2uk
Forum Member

I don't think it will be just the auditions getting changed, the whole format is old, it will even be completely revamped or a new show will take the slot
rhancock2uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2012, 17:35
SillyBillyGoat
Forum Member

The old auditions were so much better!
SillyBillyGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2012, 18:06
xmel05
Forum Member

The old auditions with just Sharon, Louis and Simon were the best.
xmel05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2012, 18:23
XFactorFanatic1
Inactive Member

Isn't this a bit irrelevant now it's the live shows?
XFactorFanatic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2012, 18:28
brb
Forum Member

Isn't this a bit irrelevant now it's the live shows?

No - there will be atleast another few series

I also agree with Sharon, Louis and Simon being the best line up. I don't mind 4 judges, but none of them have had chemistry like Simon, Louis and Sharon did. None of them connect as well as them (or at least it isn't portrayed on screen).
brb is online now Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2012, 18:31
paperplanes_
Forum Member

I prefer the 'closed door' auditions. Think it's more entertaining.
paperplanes_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2012, 18:40
Daisybelle
Forum Member

Thanks for posting those, it was nice to go back and look at how it used to be. Absolutely loved when Sharon was on the show, there was a much more relaxed atmosphere back then and certainly a lot more genuine laughs
Daisybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2012, 18:49
Hassaan13
Inactive Member

Let me tell you, the old auditions are nowhere near as exciting as the current ones. None of the old auditions were 'that' notable, in frequent years a lot of them are viewed very highly on YouTube.
Hassaan13 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2012, 18:49
RecordPlayer
Forum Member

Those clips were hilarious.

I remember the first one with the granny and the music from Jaws playing over it.

Loved it when it was just the three judges. Simon, Louis and Sharron.
The auditions were far more relaxed then. They're too mechanical now and the vastness is overwhelming.
RecordPlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2012, 19:14
Blondie X
Forum Member

I think it's since the audition process changed that the show has gone downhill imo. The contestants having to sing in a room with no backing track and no audience dragged out of the DSS was a million per cent better (in xf speak)
Blondie X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2012, 19:18
Dave3622
Forum Member

The old auditions with just Sharon, Louis and Simon were the best.

Agreed!!
Dave3622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2012, 03:59
SuperAPJ
Forum Member

I've always disliked the current style of auditions. The judges' decisions get influenced by the shrieking girls in the crowd and having a backing track gives a performance more false impact than if there were just singing in a room. A contestant can sing any current dance number decently and the audience will think it's wonderful just because they like the music that's being pumped out. The clapping along is then perceived by the judges as the auditionee being "an entertainer", which you know they'd never have said if it were an a cappella audition.
SuperAPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2012, 06:56
TerryM22
Forum Member

Heyy,

What do you all think?

I did like the old auditions.
TerryM22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2012, 07:18
Diceroll_81
Forum Member

I always preferred the old auditions, mainly because you didn't have an annoying audience screaming every time a contestant said how old they were or what their name was.

It's one if the reasons I still watch American idol.
Diceroll_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2012, 07:46
spikydog
Forum Member

It would also stop big-headed showoffs from playing to the crowd then running up and down the aisles during the audition like it was their gig.
spikydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2012, 07:52
swan007
Forum Member

The old auditions were better and seemed to produce better finalists.
The judges are too influenced by audience reaction now.
swan007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2012, 07:53
Daisybelle
Forum Member

Also think that the old style of auditions was more effective because the contestants had nowhere to hide, no music or background nonesense tended to mean that more viable singers got through
Daisybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2012, 08:15
elliebop
Forum Member

I have to say, I preferred the format of auditions in "The Voice". I didn't like the way that they have to choose who to vote off and they could be up against two of the best singers etc (so not necessarily the best singer getting through)

I also preferred the tasks they had to do on Fame Academy - they had challenges to write their own songs for instance, and the contestants had to vote... this could potentially be adapted for deadlock votes?

So, in a nutshell: Auditions a la "The Voice", live shows a la X Factor with additional challenges a la Fame Academy and eliminations a la X Factor (with FA eliminations if it goes to deadlock).
elliebop is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2012, 08:51
Tiggi
Forum Member

The old auditions were so much better. I hate the audience being there for the auditions. You get to see nothing of interest going on with the judges with the current auditions. They seem distant and detached.
Tiggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2012, 09:56
goonernatalie
Forum Member

My fave
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmTolgcMVa0
goonernatalie is offline   Reply With Quote