Elementary - UK Pace - No Spoilers Please

Old 20-10-2012, 14:36
Heavenly
Forum Member

Contemporary twist on Sherlock Holmes.

Jonny Lee Miller and Lucy Liu star.

Tuesday, 22 October - 9pm - Sky Living HD
Heavenly is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 23-10-2012, 09:02
Heavenly
Forum Member

Bump, starts tonight.

9pm Sky Living HD

Old 23-10-2012, 16:25
Gulfam1
Forum Member

Looking forward to it. A female Watson is inspired
Gulfam1 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 09:22
Heavenly
Forum Member

Have sky plussed it, anyone see it last night?
Old 24-10-2012, 12:06
1701-E
Forum Member

BBC have nothing to worry about here. Sherlock doesn't have a competitor in this.

More House than Holmes..... a procedural crime drama.

Ok but nothing special.
1701-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 13:44
zwixxx
Forum Member

I am allowed to love them both, right ?!
zwixxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 13:49
frankiecam
Forum Member

come back basil
frankiecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 17:01
sw2963
Forum Member

BBC have nothing to worry about here. Sherlock doesn't have a competitor in this.

Ok but nothing special.
^This^
sw2963 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 17:07
korbany
Forum Member

I really enjoyed it. The acting was superb, I can't wait for more.

As a life long fan of Sherlock Holmes, I must say Elementary is shaping up to be the definitive modern interpretation of the classic. It narrative feels much closer to classic Holmes than the BBC's 'Sherlock', which whilst good, is far too reliant on deus ex machina story endings and aside from the characters names doesn't feel related to the classic in terms of style or substance.
korbany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 21:23
batdude_uk1
Forum Member

Ok but nothing special.
I would say that it was more Lie to Me, than House personally.
the Holmes character was a lot like Tim Roth's character in that show (Dr. Carl Lightman) with all of the quick deducements about a person's character I felt.
batdude_uk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2012, 20:22
brangdon
Forum Member

As a life long fan of Sherlock Holmes, I must say Elementary is shaping up to be the definitive modern interpretation of the classic. It narrative feels much closer to classic Holmes than the BBC's 'Sherlock',
I felt the opposite. I liked it, but the plot didn't seem connected with any of the original stories I know. Where-as the BBC's version was the original stories with a modern twist. I don't recall the original Watson solving Holmes' mysteries for him like this female one does.

I think the best way to watch this is to forget all about the original and see it as a new show.
brangdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 18:32
Mandark
Forum Member

This was much better than I expected. I'm a bit tire of these dysfunctional Holmes characters that T V writers keep churning out. The literary Holmes wasn't like that.
Mandark is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 00:37
DFI
Forum Member

I felt the opposite. I liked it, but the plot didn't seem connected with any of the original stories I know. Where-as the BBC's version was the original stories with a modern twist.
Exactly right. Anyone who's read the stories will enjoy picking up the many (some subtle, some more obvious) references in Sherlock to the characters, dialogue, events and other situations that are straight out of Conan Doyle. It's fantastic research, knowledge and writing on the part of Moffatt and Gattiss.

Elementary has none of that. I get the impression that whoever is writing it probably has never read any of the stories, and has just decided to write a TV series based around an updated version of an eccentric detective called Holmes and a medical sidekick called Watson, probably from what they've seen in previous Sherlock Holmes films and TV and dumped them in NY.
DFI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 01:39
Joooe
Forum Member

I am allowed to love them both, right ?!

I've enjoyed the first two episodes of this a lot. I also love Sherlock.

I've never read (nor do I particularly care to) the books, so I don't know about what's closer to them.
Joooe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 04:19
MoreTears
Forum Member

I get the impression that whoever is writing it probably has never read any of the stories...
Then you have the wrong impression. The creator of Elementary is a big fan of the Conan Doyle stories. His show is simply designed as an adaptation of the CHARACTER of Sherlock Holmes to modern times, not a retelling of the original stories with modern twists, and Jonny Lee Miller's character certainly has the attributes of Conan Doyle's character. Did Moffat and Gatiss slavishly reproduce what Conan Doyle wrote? No, they made changes. Elementary makes changes too, but more of them. The idea that some changes are okay but more changes constitute an outrage won't wash. If you want to be a "purist" then condemn the BBC Sherlock too (in fact, quite a few purists do condemn it). And weren't Moffat and his supporters up in arms about the prospect that Elementary would just be a copy of Sherlock? Now that Elementary has proven to be a very different sort of adaptation of Conan Doyle, rather than one imitating Moffat, one might've expected the supporters of Moffat to be happy.
MoreTears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 12:12
Stansfield
Forum Member

Then you have the wrong impression. The creator of Elementary is a big fan of the Conan Doyle stories. His show is simply designed as an adaptation of the CHARACTER of Sherlock Holmes to modern times, not a retelling of the original stories with modern twists, and Jonny Lee Miller's character certainly has the attributes of Conan Doyle's character. Did Moffat and Gatiss slavishly reproduce what Conan Doyle wrote? No, they made changes. Elementary makes changes too, but more of them. The idea that some changes are okay but more changes constitute an outrage won't wash. If you want to be a "purist" then condemn the BBC Sherlock too (in fact, quite a few purists do condemn it). And weren't Moffat and his supporters up in arms about the prospect that Elementary would just be a copy of Sherlock? Now that Elementary has proven to be a very different sort of adaptation of Conan Doyle, rather than one imitating Moffat, one might've expected the supporters of Moffat to be happy.
So pleased it's nothing like the BBC take on Holmes in the Modern World, I lasted just 1 episode...it wasn't helped with Martin Freeman as Watson, not a fan.

But two episodes in with Jonny Lee Miller's Holmes, and I'm Hooked.
Stansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 12:17
Osusana
Forum Member

Ok but nothing special.
Agreed - felt like I had seen it all before
Osusana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 14:59
brangdon
Forum Member

This was much better than I expected. I'm a bit tire of these dysfunctional Holmes characters that T V writers keep churning out. The literary Holmes wasn't like that.
He was a bit dysfunctional. Ramming Watson's car into the bad guy's in a fit of pique isn't something I can imagine literary Holmes doing.

Nor would I expect literary Watson to be the one who found the key clue. Holmes did little. The body of the murderer was found by the postman. Even the phone would probably have been found eventually. I'm also not sure how much of Holmes' deduction stands up. He'd been told Watson's name in advance, and he said he'd googled her to find out about her parents, so presumably he also got the information about her being a surgeon the same way, and merely pretended to deduce it. He's lied at least once, claiming to be more brilliant than he is.

Basically, for me, these are not much like the literary characters at all. (Which doesn't make it a bad show, as I said earlier. Just forget any connection with the books.)
brangdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 15:42
sherisgirl
Forum Member

We thought it was ok, not as bad as US version of Prime Suspect
sherisgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 16:00
derek500
Forum Member

We thought it was ok, not as bad as US version of Prime Suspect
Elementary is not a US version of a UK show.
derek500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 16:18
Mandark
Forum Member

He was a bit dysfunctional. Ramming Watson's car into the bad guy's in a fit of pique isn't something I can imagine literary Holmes doing.

Nor would I expect literary Watson to be the one who found the key clue. Holmes did little. The body of the murderer was found by the postman. Even the phone would probably have been found eventually. I'm also not sure how much of Holmes' deduction stands up. He'd been told Watson's name in advance, and he said he'd googled her to find out about her parents, so presumably he also got the information about her being a surgeon the same way, and merely pretended to deduce it. He's lied at least once, claiming to be more brilliant than he is.

Basically, for me, these are not much like the literary characters at all. (Which doesn't make it a bad show, as I said earlier. Just forget any connection with the books.)
Yeah, it is a bit like fake Sherlock Holmes!!
Mandark is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 18:29
Gulfam1
Forum Member

Elementary is not a US version of a UK show.
+1

The Moffat version isn't and shouldn't be expected to be the only TV adaptation of Sherlock Holmes.
Gulfam1 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 19:42
DFI
Forum Member

Did Moffat and Gatiss slavishly reproduce what Conan Doyle wrote? No, they made changes
Did I say that they did? No

Elementary makes changes too, but more of them
The idea that some changes are okay but more changes constitute an outrage won't wash
In your opinion. And I'm not talking about changes, I'm talking about a complete lack of references to the original. There is nothing from the original stories in anything to do with the series except their names, professions and the quirkiness of his characterisation. Sherlock is a much more intelligent and informed reworking.

If you want to be a "purist"
I don't. I could ask you to point out where I said I did, but that would embarrass you, so don't bother

And by the way, I like it.
DFI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 19:46
catkins198
Forum Member

I am really enjoying this. I love Jonny Lee Miller - think he is a great actor. Saw him in Frankenstein at The National Theatre and he was brilliant
catkins198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 20:42
Vast_Girth
Forum Member

It was pretty much everything i expected from a modern version of sherlock holmes. Not awful, but certainly nothing special. (unlike the BBC version, which i though was genuinely surprising and orginal). Acting was generally good, but dialogue was a bit forced sometimes. Also i think watching Touch of Cloth has made me aware of the things cop shows always do, and there's a lot of examples of it n Elementary.
Vast_Girth is offline   Reply With Quote