Options

Aerogrammes/Air Letters to be discontinued

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,799
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was on an errand looking for these and couldn't find them except on ebay so I decided to look into it. Apparently these were taken off sale in April and have to be used by 31st October.

I'd link to a press release or news article if there was one, but it wasn't that straightforward.
  • Random BBC forum: "Any aerogrammes already purchased should be used by 31 October 2012".
  • Royal Mail website: still on their price list pdf, but not on sale.

Tried some phone calls:
  • Royal Mail: "I know we don't sell them, perhaps you can still use them, like stamps, but I'm not sure, perhaps try the Post Office".
  • Post Office: "I think we've had an email about that... I think it's the end of October.. what did Royal Mail say?"
  • Royal Mail: (confidently, almost as if they'd just had a chat about it) "You can use them until the end of October".
So there you go. It's 'official' :D.

Comments

• Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Must say that it's years since I used one but it's another little piece of social history being filed away as a future curiosity
  • Options
    Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Had I not seen this thread I think that in my 44 years on this planet I'd have still been oblivious to the existence of Aerogrammes and equally oblivious to their passing.

I have mailed letters abroad. I have always sent them airmail. Was I missing much? I don't think so. But as with all niche things there's a certain part of the population who love them: http://www.aerogramme.com/ :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My neighbour just had an old one tucked in a book and it was a bit creased so (she doesn't have the internet) I just thought I'd see about buying some new ones. If she hadn't found this old one I don't think she'd have thought about it :).

I suppose I quite like them, as an interesting bit of design. Don't think I enjoyed using them though, you've got to work out what to say and get your hand writing size right or you end up squeezing it all in at the end. Either that or there's acres of space and you need to deploy a massive signature.

Thought it was funny Royal Mail haven't made any kind of announcement, but perhaps they don't want people to rediscover them, get overtaken by nostalgia.