Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Forums on your mobile: a call for testers!

Closed Thread
Old 23-10-2012, 00:02
Thomas Poots
Community Manager

Digital Spy Staff

We've now developed a new mobile friendly version of the Digital Spy forums, building on feedback from our previous effort.

You can access the mobile skin by selecting 'Mobile Forums' from the drop down menu on the purple bar towards the bottom of the page or by clicking here.

We'd like to invite your feedback on the skin, please feel free to post this below.

Android users: We have tried a new fix to see if the jumping issue has stopped. Please do let us know in this thread if you are still having issues.
Thomas Poots is offline Follow this poster on Twitter  
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 23-10-2012, 00:11
cookiebooth
Inactive Member

The 2012 mobile version of the DS forums looks so much better in comparison to the older version! Great work!
Old 23-10-2012, 00:17
Mordirith
Inactive Member

Blackberry Curve 9360. Forum works fine and the skin looks good.
Old 23-10-2012, 00:20
Froggy88
Forum Member

Really like it although would be good to have unread threads to be bold and a button to go to last page.
Old 23-10-2012, 00:25
Billy_Value
Forum Member

i like it but i prefer to view when the time of the last poster posted from the thread list in which ever forum you are in
Old 23-10-2012, 00:29
BastardBeaver
Forum Member

Looks much better and works well on my HTC wildfire, Android. I can clearly see links now which is nice as before I was just guessing that people had added one. I would still like to be able to 'spoiler' tag my posts.
BastardBeaver is offline Follow this poster on Twitter  
Old 23-10-2012, 00:35
BastardBeaver
Forum Member

Really like it although would be good to have unread threads to be bold and a button to go to last page.
Yes this aswell. Unread threads to be in bold like before. It helped with knowing if threads had been reposted in rather than having to click on them to find out.
Old 23-10-2012, 00:41
BastardBeaver
Forum Member

Annnd... An option to take you to the last post read in a thread, like before.
Old 23-10-2012, 00:48
tghe-retford
Forum Member

Very nice work, a great improvement looks wise on the previous skin. In particular the way you can navigate between pages in lists and threads compared to the small numbers and arrows you had to click with the current mobile skin.

But there are two major omissions (showstoppers?):

a) bolding of threads with unread posts and the accompanying arrow to go to the first unread post in a thread, saves time and data.
b) in the list of forums (and sub-forums), the time and date of the last post is missing, I found it useful to see when the last post was made in a forum when browsing around. A compromise (or extra additional feature) could be to bold forums with unread threads since my last visit (as happens with the current desktop and mobile skins).
tghe-retford is offline Follow this poster on Twitter  
Old 23-10-2012, 03:14
niceguy1966
Forum Member

It looks better, but it's missing these 2 important features compared to the previous mobile view.
Old 23-10-2012, 03:17
niceguy1966
Forum Member

We're currently in the process of developing a new mobile friendly version of the Digital Spy forums, building on feedback from our previous effort.

You can access the mobile skin by selecting 'Mobile Forums 2012' from the drop down menu on the purple bar towards the bottom of the page or by clicking here.

As we're getting close to a general release, we'd like to invite your feedback on the skin. Feel free to post this below.
As this isn't a general release yet, it would be nice if you told is how to get back to the previous mobile view!
Old 23-10-2012, 08:45
workhorse
Inactive Member

I would like a time put on posts from yesterday.also an option to go to last page on a tread.also a top and bottom of page button.
Old 23-10-2012, 09:50
cjsmummy
Forum Member

Looks much better and works well on my HTC wildfire, Android. I can clearly see links now which is nice as before I was just guessing that people had added one. I would still like to be able to 'spoiler' tag my posts.
Well my Wildfire doesn't seem to like it, it's crashed on the 1st page!
Old 23-10-2012, 10:06
DS Forum Support

Digital Spy Staff

As this isn't a general release yet, it would be nice if you told is how to get back to the previous mobile view!
There's a 'Change to desktop version' button at the bottom of every page.
DS Forum Support is offline Follow this poster on Twitter  
Old 23-10-2012, 10:07
Mandark
Forum Member

Works great on the iPhone!!
Mandark is offline Follow this poster on Twitter  
Old 23-10-2012, 10:11
Mandark
Forum Member

Works great on the iPhone!!
Works well on Android 4.1 as well! Agree with others about the extra features required.
Mandark is offline Follow this poster on Twitter  
Old 23-10-2012, 10:31
niceguy1966
Forum Member

There's a 'Change to desktop version' button at the bottom of every page.
OK, now I have the Desktop view, which is worse than either the old or new mobile view. It has large adverts that use my data allowance, and I have to keep zooming and scrolling to make the font large enough to read.

I'd like the old mobile view back, the one I had before I tested the un-released new mobile version.

Please?
Old 23-10-2012, 12:25
DS Forum Support

Digital Spy Staff

OK, now I have the Desktop view, which is worse than either the old or new mobile view. It has large adverts that use my data allowance, and I have to keep zooming and scrolling to make the font large enough to read.

I'd like the old mobile view back, the one I had before I tested the un-released new mobile version.

Please?
http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/index.php?styleid=51 Sorry, thought you had asked how to get back to the desktop site. This should take you to the old mobile skin.
DS Forum Support is offline Follow this poster on Twitter  
Old 23-10-2012, 15:13
LykkieLi
Forum Member

Unhealthy!
Old 23-10-2012, 15:27
paulbrock
Forum Member

(nexus 7 - not sure if target audience or not, though do use current mobile skin. Will try with phone later)

no way of jumping from list of subscribed threads to first new post - always takes you to first post of the thread. (unlike current skin which has a little purple arrow that jumps you to the right page/post)

No bolding, as previously mentioned.

List of subforums WAY too spaced out versus the old mobile skin.

No access to the news articles on DS. (current skin has a navigation menu that lets you read articles too)

Good to see the tiny page number navigation disappear, but that's the only pro I see so far.
paulbrock is offline Follow this poster on Twitter  
Old 23-10-2012, 15:48
Stiggles
Forum Member

Not bad but, wouldn't it just be easier to add the tapatalk plugin to the forum? Takes 5 mins to do!
Old 23-10-2012, 17:08
tghe-retford
Forum Member

Not bad but, wouldn't it just be easier to add the tapatalk plugin to the forum? Takes 5 mins to do!
What's in it for Digital Spy to restrict mobile forum viewing behind a paywall, when a) it encourages access to competitors and b) may not allow ads to show through the UI? Should also note, tapatalk is a pay app.

Digital Spy's new skin, with the suggestions I made above, should do the job more than adequatelyvfor the majority of users. Fair enough if DS wishes to add tapatalk support in addition, but not as a replacement for the mobile skin.
tghe-retford is offline Follow this poster on Twitter  
Old 23-10-2012, 17:56
niceguy1966
Forum Member

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/index.php?styleid=51 Sorry, thought you had asked how to get back to the desktop site. This should take you to the old mobile skin.
Thank you!
Old 23-10-2012, 18:30
Stiggles
Forum Member

What's in it for Digital Spy to restrict mobile forum viewing behind a paywall, when a) it encourages access to competitors and b) may not allow ads to show through the UI? Should also note, tapatalk is a pay app.

Digital Spy's new skin, with the suggestions I made above, should do the job more than adequatelyvfor the majority of users. Fair enough if DS wishes to add tapatalk support in addition, but not as a replacement for the mobile skin.
Yes it is but, many people already have it for other forums. DS can also make an app using the tapatalk api or whatever it is and make a free one supported by ads and a paid one free of ads. Plenty of revenue for DS. The plugin is also free as i use it on my forum.
Old 23-10-2012, 18:31
soran
Forum Member

Skin looks good but only works on the page displaying the list of forums. Once you go into a forum I still get the same old nasty looking old one. Selecting desktop site also has never made any difference. Phone is Galaxy Nexus running jellybean.

Closed Thread