Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

In the closet gay celebs! Who are they? (Part 2)

Old 06-05-2013, 16:23
Gwylfa
Forum Member

Wikipedia says:

"Ball lives with the former presenter of Ready Steady Go!, Cathy McGowan. They met around 1989 and have lived together since 1992."

I live with my flatmate who I met 10 years ago and have lived together with since. Nothing about her being his wife or partner.... and I think that vagueness is deliberate. The telling bit of the story of the house fire was that they clearly don't share a bedroom. But Ball is happy to make it look like he's in a relationship (with a woman in her 70s remember) as a recent Daily Mail article showed when he had a new album to flog.
Is it my imagination but I thought Cathy came out as a Lesbian years ago ....or am I getting confused in MY old age ?!!
Gwylfa is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 06-05-2013, 16:35
Jenny_Meadows
Forum Member

I have to laugh at Lance Bass and his completely ignorant One Direction comments. "Statistically one of them is probably gay"

Since when have 1 in 5 people been estimated to be gay. It's estimated that 1 in 10 people are, and that has been proved wrong many times. Hypothetically, if 10% of the world's population is gay, that doesn't mean in every group of 100 people that 10 must be gay. Ignorance kills me

Anyway, Vinnie Jones is not gay. He is however, very gay friendly and has always supported the community, which is nice. A lot of macho men are afraid to do that.
We don't know the exact number of gay people(men or women) in the world. Yes, there are more straight people but there are still millions of gay and bisexual people. Ofcourse it is silly to suggest one member MUST be gay but it's not unrealistic to say they could be. A lot of people in the industry are in the closet. That is a fact. Ofcourse there are more gay men/women in some areas of the industry than others but there are gonna be some in all areas. For example, there are no openly gay premiership footballers but there are obviously gonna be some, same with tennis players(although there have been a few openly gay women) etc. Anyway, it's not an insult to suggest someone could be gay and It bugs me when people take it as such. Also, when people feel the need to remind people that most people are straight. Yes, so what? what should bug people is the fact that so many people are scared of admitting who they are for fear of rejection, in the public eye or not.
Jenny_Meadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 17:01
Cryolemon
Forum Member

There have been any number of studies about the number of gay and bisexual people. The numbers seem to vary between about 3% and 10%.
Cryolemon is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 17:20
Jenny_Meadows
Forum Member

There have been any number of studies about the number of gay and bisexual people. The numbers seem to vary between about 3% and 10%.
I know there have been studies but you don't know the exact amount of gay or bisexual people in the world. You can't ask every single person can you.
Old 06-05-2013, 17:33
Elphie_Lives
Forum Member

I know there have been studies but you don't know the exact amount of gay or bisexual people in the world. You can't ask every single person can you.
And even if you did not everyone would tell the truth. There's probably more gay people than we believe, just things like religion stops people from being open about it.

Probably about 5-10% (maybe up to 12%) is the more likely of percentages (3%) is just far too low in my opinion.
Elphie_Lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 17:47
Yorkie47
Forum Member

I think it's sad to be honest that he can't come out his career is so well established that he has nothing to lose.
except his female fanbase i'm guessing this is why cliff & barry manilow have never come out.
I've been a Michael Ball fan for years. I think I can safely say that the vast majority of his female fans (and I would say they are predominantly female) are pretty much aware of his sexuality. I've only met one or two that care - I certainly don't.

He spins a fair yarn about his relationship with Cathy McGowan and I get the impression it is very much a "love" relationship although not a "sex" one. I'm only guessing though - we really don't know because he's just not saying. He is entitled to his privacy but perhaps it would be better for his peace of mind if he just came out. I can't see there being a mass desertion by his fans!

Female fans aren't bothered by a singer being gay - look at John Barrowman. I went to one of his concerts last year and women absolutely love him!
Yorkie47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 21:02
rawr
Forum Member

I'd take a hunch on 3 of them.
I'd guess none of them. Controversial around these parts, I know.
rawr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 21:06
sparkle22
Forum Member

agree but I do think there's that worry cliff's fanbase is mainly women too and I think they worry that they won't sell as many concert tickets saying that joe mcelderry has a mostly female fanbase of which I am one of them and we love him.
and don't care there's also that feeling for many fans of being less threatened as they don't have to to get jealous of a wife or girlfriend which happens with many boy band members.
I do hope more celebs come out in future who does everyone else think will be next I hope queen latifah but I doubt it.
sparkle22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 21:18
nw0307
Forum Member

True but I thought that there was twice as many gay men that seek a profession like dancer, singer, actor etc than a regular career which makes the numbers around 6 - 20%. Just like there are far more gay men in hairdressing than the national average.
nw0307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 23:14
ThaGazBoi
Forum Member

I'd guess none of them. Controversial around these parts, I know.
Your gaydar is well off then.
ThaGazBoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 23:30
rawr
Forum Member

Your gaydar is well off then.
Well someone's is anyway.
rawr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 01:15
Beagle2
Forum Member

I have to laugh at Lance Bass and his completely ignorant One Direction comments. "Statistically one of them is probably gay"
Wasn't he just going along with the age-old adage that one member of every boyband is supposedly gay?
Beagle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:07
jackol
Forum Member

Is it my imagination but I thought Cathy came out as a Lesbian years ago ....or am I getting confused in MY old age ?!!
No, her and Ball have been together for years
jackol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:57
dee123
Forum Member

Wasn't he just going along with the age-old adage that one member of every boyband is supposedly gay?
Exactly. People are taking it way too hard.
dee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:42
wilehelmas
Forum Member

I don't think those figures work for the showbiz world though. Showbiz attracts a lot of gay guys. But no that doesn't necessarily mean there's a gay one in One Direction. But I think maybe Lance knows more than he's saying.
I'd guess there's one gay and one bisexual in One Direction. But only from rumours.
Well he said he doesn't know actual names and 'how could I?' sort of thing, but I bet he's heard a lot of rumours and keeps his ear to the grapevine.

Gossip: On another website someone claimed her ex had worked with them and that Lance is absolutely correct, one indeed is and 'doesn't hide it in social settings'. She claims not to be a fan or have any reason to lie, just that she knew from her ex. She is based in New York. She didn't want to be more specific than that and said it wasn't her job to out anyone, he'll come out when he's ready she thinks, just that she backs up what Lance says.

I can buy that, no problem. Its what I believe anyway. The signs are (imo) all there.
wilehelmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 21:13
attackmusic
Forum Member

I find it very hard to believe when people claim to know someone personally and are aware that they are gay etc. Some may be telling the truth, but some people make it up. Plus, if you go out of your way to hide it how would someone who knows you so little be aware of it???

It's just sad that people still have to hide these things.
attackmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 14:31
Jenny_Meadows
Forum Member

Of course not all rumours are gonna be true but what gets me is when people refuse to believe any of them are or possibly could be. Before Matt Bomer, Adam Lambert, Zachary Quinto etc came out there were people who said there was no way they were gay, it was just wishful thinking etc. Lance Bass said he even has female fans who refuse to accept his sexuality. Ridiculous!
Old 08-05-2013, 17:01
TTTango
Forum Member

Well havin seen Mrs McP on the box last night I think she makes the perfect beard - the ultimate tomboy. She also looked more than a little bit bossy!

Great career for her out of this - never goes with them when they're away - they're in Portugal atm with Frank

Love the way the 'we're trying for a baby' spiel gets bandied around every now & then - yeah, course you are! That's the public silenced for another year or two
Pat - Do you know A&D personally ?

Do you want Dec to PatMcgroin LOL
TTTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 18:10
attackmusic
Forum Member

I don't know about Michael Ball's sexuality, but maybe he is just private?

Some people don't like to discuss their relationships regardless of their sexuality. Jessica Chastain is a good example. For ages she refused to discuss relationships, but it turns out she had been dating an Italian designer for months and is engaged to him. The press dragged it out eventually

I think if people really want to keep things private, they should. Being in the public eye shouldn't mean things get disclosed if you don't want them to.
Old 08-05-2013, 18:43
Jenny_Meadows
Forum Member

I don't know about Michael Ball's sexuality, but maybe he is just private?

Some people don't like to discuss their relationships regardless of their sexuality. Jessica Chastain is a good example. For ages she refused to discuss relationships, but it turns out she had been dating an Italian designer for months and is engaged to him. The press dragged it out eventually

I think if people really want to keep things private, they should. Being in the public eye shouldn't mean things get disclosed if you don't want them to.
It is different if you are gay though. If you are straight then you don't pretend to be gay to help your career, avoid abuse etc. of course people should be allowed their privacy.
Old 08-05-2013, 18:51
Jenny_Meadows
Forum Member

Also, I don't know about Jessica Chastain. For ages she took Jess wexler with her to basically all her events and once she started getting more attention Jess W was suddenly nowhere to be seen and she was attached to guys.Not saying this means she is definitely gay and hiding something but it seems suspicious. It's the same when threads about people's sexuality keep being deleted. This has happened with Colton Haynes, with Alicia Keys, Lloyd and Danyl from the x factor etc. Also pictures of Maria Sharapova and Camilla Belle were deleted after speculation about them. Don't people realise this just makes it look like they are trying to hide something?!
Old 08-05-2013, 19:04
Daughterqueen
Inactive Member

It is different if you are gay though. If you are straight then you don't pretend to be gay to help your career, avoid abuse etc. of course people should be allowed their privacy.
Also it really doesn't matter what sexuality michael is or that Cathy is in a relationship with his P.A. - just listen to that voice - it really does send shivers down ones spine.
Daughterqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 19:10
Jenny_Meadows
Forum Member

Also it really doesn't matter what sexuality michael is or that Cathy is in a relationship with his P.A. - just listen to that voice - it really does send shivers down ones spine.
His voice is beautiful
Old 08-05-2013, 20:27
attackmusic
Forum Member

Also, I don't know about Jessica Chastain. For ages she took Jess wexler with her to basically all her events and once she started getting more attention Jess W was suddenly nowhere to be seen and she was attached to guys!
What part of "secret relationship with a man" did you not understand?

There is nothing suspicious about her and Wexler. They have been best friends for years, but are understandably together less since Chastain has hit the big time. But they aren't avoiding each other at all, they just shot a movie together

Jess Wexler is a great actress, I have been a fan for years. She is fantastic in the theatre, but her movie career has been sadly lacking (Teeth anyone?!). She has had a boyfriend for a while and so has Chastain, be happy for them and don't spin your own fantasy fan fiction

As for denying stuff, damned if you do and damned if you don't. If people want something to be true they won't accept it being false either way You don't want to end up like some demented Glee fans, trying to convince themselves Naya Rivera and Heather Morris are in love in real life. Same with Dianna Agron and Lea Michele.
Old 08-05-2013, 20:47
Jenny_Meadows
Forum Member

What part of "secret relationship with a man" did you not understand?

There is nothing suspicious about her and Wexler. They have been best friends for years, but are understandably together less since Chastain has hit the big time. But they aren't avoiding each other at all, they just shot a movie together

Jess Wexler is a great actress, I have been a fan for years. She is fantastic in the theatre, but her movie career has been sadly lacking (Teeth anyone?!). She has had a boyfriend for a while and so has Chastain, be happy for them and don't spin your own fantasy fan fiction

As for denying stuff, damned if you do and damned if you don't. If people want something to be true they won't accept it being false either way You don't want to end up like some demented Glee fans, trying to convince themselves Naya Rivera and Heather Morris are in love in real life. Same with Dianna Agron and Lea Michele.
I'm not spinning any fantasy fan fiction thank you very much. I'm making an observation. I never said they were avoiding each other just that it seemed suspicious how she was suddenly not going to any events together. I think Dianna and Lea acting like they fancied each other, that doesn't mean I am delusional and am insisting they must be together. It is possible for two celebrities to be in a secret relationship with each other, you can't just call people delusional for saying they think it might be happening. It's the same with Harry Styles and Loyis Tomlinson. People can't say they are in a relationship for a fact but you also can't say people are deluded for thinking they might be and it couldn't possibly true that two members of a band could be in a secret relationship. It's not insulting anyone. It's sad that people have to hide their true selves because people are so narrow minded.