Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

In the closet gay celebs! Who are they? (Part 2)

Old 10-01-2014, 08:49
dee123
Forum Member

Oh the delusion. You wish
So any celebrity who has a girlfriend is likely to be gay? Right Come off it. So basically you are saying you refuse to accept anyone is straight, even though the vast majority of people are? You never believe anyone is straight? Or just those you find unattractive?

Oh some trolls do make me titter, I have to concede that at least.
The only one delusional around here is you. Talk about putting words in someone's mouth.
dee123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 10-01-2014, 19:02
bruisedknees
Forum Member

Stephen Nolan?
Julian Worricker?
King Zog?
bruisedknees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 22:51
vauxhall1964
Forum Member

All credible surveys give about 6% for the number of Gay people with about 7% to 8% as bisexual to some degree.
Not at all true. 2012 saw two major and definitive surveys in Britain that gave very accurate figures for self-identified sexual orientation of:

1.5% for gay, lesbian and bisexual combined
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24378939

and again 1.5% for gay, lesbian and bisexual combined

http://press.thelancet.com/NATSAL1.pdf

sample size around 180,000 for the first study and over 15,000 for the second..both samples chosen to be representative of the population. Even if you include people who report a same sex partner in the last 5 years but who don't call themselves gay or bisexual the figure doesn't go above 3%.

A USA Gallup poll of over 120,000 people came up with a figure of 3.4% gay, lesbian and bisexual people for that country but I suspect its methodology wasn't as robust as the 2 UK surveys and overstimated the numbers.
vauxhall1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 04:00
SuperAPJ
Forum Member

I read that rapper Ja Rule recently had to deny rumours that he was leaving his wife for his former prison cellmate. Had that been true, I can't imagine the amount of homophobia which would consequently have been spouted by his rap rivals on 'diss' tracks about him.
SuperAPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 10:11
Jenny_Meadows
Forum Member

The only trolls on this thread are the ones who act like its a great insult to suggest someone is gay and call people deluded for pointing out that a lot of people are in the closet. Best to just ignore them.
Jenny_Meadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 10:23
Aura101
Forum Member

Not at all true. 2012 saw two major and definitive surveys in Britain that gave very accurate figures for self-identified sexual orientation of:

1.5% for gay, lesbian and bisexual combined
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24378939

and again 1.5% for gay, lesbian and bisexual combined

http://press.thelancet.com/NATSAL1.pdf

sample size around 180,000 for the first study and over 15,000 for the second..both samples chosen to be representative of the population. Even if you include people who report a same sex partner in the last 5 years but who don't call themselves gay or bisexual the figure doesn't go above 3%.

A USA Gallup poll of over 120,000 people came up with a figure of 3.4% gay, lesbian and bisexual people for that country but I suspect its methodology wasn't as robust as the 2 UK surveys and overstimated the numbers.
That survey was panned as nonsense the second it came out wasn't it?
Sorry but there is no way on earth 1% can be correct, how on earth would gays ever meet each other? How would they pack out the gay clubs? Lol.

If I had to make an estimate I would say 10% of the population would be gay/bisexual, including those who are not 'out'. Either way there's absolutely no way you can get conclusive results from a 'survey', its bizarre.
Aura101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 10:50
ChipPaper
Forum Member

The only trolls on this thread are the ones who act like its a great insult to suggest someone is gay and call people deluded for pointing out that a lot of people are in the closet. Best to just ignore them.
I don't think it's an insult to be called gay, nor do I deny that some people are in the closet. It just seems that often people are called gay as an attempt at mudslinging, and it is insulting when people are assumed to be gay for negative reasons, and that doesn't make me a troll for challenging that. Sometimes it is insulting to suggest someone is gay, depending on the reasons.

Not to mention some of the 'reasons' are flimsy at best. If a young Hollywood actor is believed to be gay, and they don't have a girlfriend, you get 'Oh, he's young, attractive and single, with no girlfriend, why not? He must be gay', then when he has a girlfriend, it's 'oh, she's a beard'. People twist anything to fit what they believe. Calling for clarity, and criticising lack of evidence for what is often claimed as fact does not make me a troll either. Post your suspicions by all means, but you can't expect claims that people are definitely gay with no proof to go unchallenged.

Sorry but there is no way on earth 1% can be correct, how on earth would gays ever meet each other? How would they pack out the gay clubs? Lol.

If I had to make an estimate I would say 10% of the population would be gay/bisexual, including those who are not 'out'. Either way there's absolutely no way you can get conclusive results from a 'survey', its bizarre.
10% seems like an overly-ambitious estimate, and 1% doesn't seem all that impossible either. The population of the UK is around 63 million, 1% of that is 630,000. Divide by two for gay/bi men and women respectively, and that's 315,000 gay/bi men in the UK alone. More than enough to pack out the gay clubs. Plus, when you factor in that a large number of gay/bi people from small towns will probably move to larger towns/cities with gay 'communities' and amenities (clubs, bars etc), it increases the percentage of gay/bi people in the bigger cities, increasing the chances of meeting other gay/bi people.

1% isn't that ridiculous a number to be possible.
ChipPaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 10:56
Lu88
Forum Member

I agree with you, Jenny
Lu88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 10:59
Lu88
Forum Member

I agree with you, 1% is nonsense.
There must be some more reliable survey.
I'd say between 5 and 10%
In showbiz, 10%
Lu88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 11:11
Jenny_Meadows
Forum Member

We will never know the exact amount of gay/bi people in the world. You can't ask everyone and lots of people are scared to identify themselves as such.
Old 11-01-2014, 12:37
vauxhall1964
Forum Member

Which survey was "panned as nonsense"? None were, well, maybe on internet forums but not by respected sources. Both agencies are extremely authorative: NATSAL has been doing their surveys for three decades and the Office for National Statistics is as reliable and professional as you get. And they both came up with the same figure.

1.5% is three quarters of a million people...more than enough to fill the nation's few dozen gay night clubs! These posters insisting the figure must be 10 times bigger. Let's see some evidence other than '1.5% just doesn't feel right to me'. I'm gay by the way and this issue is part of my job so I have no agenda is playing down the statistics.
Old 11-01-2014, 12:42
vauxhall1964
Forum Member

We will never know the exact amount of gay/bi people in the world. You can't ask everyone and lots of people are scared to identify themselves as such.
The people doing the surveys realise this and address it in their work. NATSAL for example don't ask people directly. People answer the question on a computer and are reassured their answers are anonymous.
Old 11-01-2014, 13:14
Jenny_Meadows
Forum Member

That may be so but you can never ask everyone. We will never know the exact number or percentage of every gay/bi person in any country or the world at large. It doesn't really matter anyway.
Old 11-01-2014, 13:24
Cryolemon
Forum Member

My personal guess is that it's somewhere between 5% and 8%, that's between 1 in 20 and about 1 in 13 (so between 1 and 2 in any average school class, which is about right in my experience*). Any survey will underestimate the numbers imho anyway.

*My class at primary school notwithstanding, since that had 3 people who ended up as lesbians, 4 bisexual girls and a bisexual guy (me) out of about 30 people.
Cryolemon is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 13:53
vauxhall1964
Forum Member

My personal guess is that it's somewhere between 5% and 8%, that's between 1 in 20 and about 1 in 13 (so between 1 and 2 in any average school class, which is about right in my experience*). Any survey will underestimate the numbers imho anyway.

I'll take scientific research with robust methodologies and representative samples over random guesses anyday.
Old 11-01-2014, 13:55
vauxhall1964
Forum Member

That may be so but you can never ask everyone. We will never know the exact number or percentage of every gay/bi person in any country or the world at large. It doesn't really matter anyway.

Of course you can't ask everybody. That's why the surveys you can trust use "representative samples"..ie thousands of people chosen because they are typical of the breakdown of the population in age, sex, region, etc.

In a way you're right...it shouldn't matter whether 1, 10 or 25% are gay if we're talking about rights and discrimination. But it matters that we have relaible figures when it's a topic that gets discussed a lot (and often in very inaccurate ways).
Old 11-01-2014, 13:56
wilehelmas
Forum Member

These surveys make me scratch me head. Many people also refuse to answer or tick a 'rather not say' box. Where do they fall when defining the nation? And the things people write on forms over the years especially if their sexuality evolves with age/confidence...I think it's all a bit unreliable tbh.

I'm not sure of any percentage and wouldn't like to guess but I treat all surveys, be they from 'respected' sources or The Sun Online, the same. People could be subject to the same amounts of fibbing, bu11sh1tt1ng and changing what they write with age/evolution/confidence in either case I'd imagine.
wilehelmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 14:54
Airborae
Forum Member

How long has it been since someone's mentioned Jonathan Taylor Thomas?

Just to get the thread back on track...
Airborae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 15:00
ChipPaper
Forum Member

How long has it been since someone's mentioned Jonathan Taylor Thomas?

Just to get the thread back on track...
It would help if anyone knew who he was.
Old 11-01-2014, 15:18
Aura101
Forum Member

Which survey was "panned as nonsense"? None were, well, maybe on internet forums but not by respected sources. Both agencies are extremely authorative: NATSAL has been doing their surveys for three decades and the Office for National Statistics is as reliable and professional as you get. And they both came up with the same figure.

1.5% is three quarters of a million people...more than enough to fill the nation's few dozen gay night clubs! These posters insisting the figure must be 10 times bigger. Let's see some evidence other than '1.5% just doesn't feel right to me'. I'm gay by the way and this issue is part of my job so I have no agenda is playing down the statistics.
you cannot carry out a survey on sexuality, it is beyond ridiculous, some people lie, some people dont even know!
it makes no sense whatsoever.

i was in a school with 150 pupils per year.
10 years later, from what i have gathered from facebook and frienda, theres about 8 of those pupils from my year group who identify as gay/lesbians, and they are just the ones i know of!

my cousin is in the sixth form without about 90 other pupils and its heaving with homosexuality! he must have about 5 gay friends alone in his year.

i worked in a shop for a while with about 40 staff, and at one point there must of been about 10 out gays!

all this not even accounting for those who are 'straight' but like abit of sausage surprise on the side.

1% is utter madness. and i hope they really dont bother with such pointless surveys in the future.
Aura101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 17:48
Jenny_Meadows
Forum Member

After Thomas Hiitzlspergers coming out do you think any premier league(or lower league) players will come out anytime soon of do you think it won't make a difference and they might wait to come out after they have retired like him, which is still a big step for someone?
Old 11-01-2014, 19:54
Cryolemon
Forum Member

After Thomas Hiitzlspergers coming out do you think any premier league(or lower league) players will come out anytime soon of do you think it won't make a difference and they might wait to come out after they have retired like him, which is still a big step for someone?
I doubt it'll make any difference.
Cryolemon is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 20:02
LudwigVonDrake
Forum Member

It would help if anyone knew who he was.
Played Randy Taylor on Home Improvement, and probably better known as the voice of young Simba in The Lion King.
LudwigVonDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 21:13
lovelife7292
Forum Member

What do people think about Lee Ryan and Duncan James?
lovelife7292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 21:25
ChipPaper
Forum Member

What do people think about Lee Ryan and Duncan James?
That they need to bring out a sex-tape, pronto.