Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

In the closet gay celebs! Who are they? (Part 2)

Old 11-01-2014, 22:35
LudwigVonDrake
Forum Member

What do people think about Lee Ryan and Duncan James?
Only read the headlines.. not sure I like the idea of all of a sudden declaring it. Sort of seems like trying to jump on some sort of bandwagon.

I guess it'd be more shocking if they were on Big Brother together and knocked boots. Now that would cause a stir.
LudwigVonDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 11-01-2014, 23:11
dee123
Forum Member

The only trolls on this thread are the ones who act like its a great insult to suggest someone is gay and call people deluded for pointing out that a lot of people are in the closet. Best to just ignore them.

Which words in the title "In the closet gay celebs! Who are they?" do you not understand?
dee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 23:13
Residents Fan
Forum Member

Straight or gay, they're both very irritating.
Residents Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 23:27
Jenny_Meadows
Forum Member

Which words in the title "In the closet gay celebs! Who are they?" do you not understand?
I understand it perfectly. I was pointing out that other people see the thread title and then come in the thread just to complain when you suggest a celeb is in the closet.
Jenny_Meadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 04:09
Dancefan8001
Forum Member

I don't think it's an insult to be called gay, nor do I deny that some people are in the closet. It just seems that often people are called gay as an attempt at mudslinging, and it is insulting when people are assumed to be gay for negative reasons, and that doesn't make me a troll for challenging that. Sometimes it is insulting to suggest someone is gay, depending on the reasons.

Not to mention some of the 'reasons' are flimsy at best. If a young Hollywood actor is believed to be gay, and they don't have a girlfriend, you get 'Oh, he's young, attractive and single, with no girlfriend, why not? He must be gay', then when he has a girlfriend, it's 'oh, she's a beard'. People twist anything to fit what they believe. Calling for clarity, and criticising lack of evidence for what is often claimed as fact does not make me a troll either. Post your suspicions by all means, but you can't expect claims that people are definitely gay with no proof to go unchallenged.

10% seems like an overly-ambitious estimate, and 1% doesn't seem all that impossible either. The population of the UK is around 63 million, 1% of that is 630,000. Divide by two for gay/bi men and women respectively, and that's 315,000 gay/bi men in the UK alone. More than enough to pack out the gay clubs. Plus, when you factor in that a large number of gay/bi people from small towns will probably move to larger towns/cities with gay 'communities' and amenities (clubs, bars etc), it increases the percentage of gay/bi people in the bigger cities, increasing the chances of meeting other gay/bi people.

1% isn't that ridiculous a number to be possible.
Thank you for an excellent post! Great points.

I also don't think the number is as high as we see bandied about, not only for the reasons you gave, but for several others I won't go into here.

I have noticed that many gays tend to be high achievers. They don't have children, which gives them more money and time to devote to their careers and other pursuits. As a group, they tend to be more politically active, and thus have clout disproportionate to their numbers. IMO.

You correctly point out that gays tend to gravitate to where other gays are, and are most readily accepted. If they can, they choose the most scenic places, so they are likely a bigger percentage of the population in those places. In many cases they were responsible for the beautification of places such as the colorful Victorian row houses in the Pacific Heights section of San Francisco.

I agree with you, it's not an insult to be called gay--unless someone ISN'T, then it is a cruel thing to do.
Dancefan8001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 07:36
dee123
Forum Member

I understand it perfectly. I was pointing out that other people see the thread title and then come in the thread just to complain when you suggest a celeb is in the closet.
Oops! That's what i get for speed reading. Totally misread what you said. Sorry.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:56
Lu88
Forum Member

All credible surveys give about 6% for the number of Gay people with about 7% to 8% as bisexual to some degree.

Could you provide a link to your surveys? It would be interesting to compare your data to those provided by Vauxhall.

It's more than likely that my estimation is biased by my personal experience because among my circle of friends and family, at least 10% are gay
Lu88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 14:49
vauxhall1964
Forum Member

you cannot carry out a survey on sexuality, it is beyond ridiculous, some people lie, some people dont even know!
it makes no sense whatsoever.

i was in a school with 150 pupils per year.
10 years later, from what i have gathered from facebook and frienda, theres about 8 of those pupils from my year group who identify as gay/lesbians, and they are just the ones i know of!

my cousin is in the sixth form without about 90 other pupils and its heaving with homosexuality! he must have about 5 gay friends alone in his year.

i worked in a shop for a while with about 40 staff, and at one point there must of been about 10 out gays!

1% is utter madness. and i hope they really dont bother with such pointless surveys in the future.
Yes they can carry out surveys about sexuality and respected institutions have been doing so for decades... and very successfully; i've quoted several. They are not "pointless", "mad" or "ridiculous" just because they deliver results you don't agree with. If you'd bothered to check out the NATSAL and ONS surveys I mentioned you'd see that in the younger age groups the figure is around 3% as it's obvious you'll find far more people identfying as gay, lesbian etc in a 6 form college than in an old people's home. Just because someone works in retail in a big city and finds quite a few gay people there doesn't mean the same must be true across all ages, regions, occupations. Surely that is obvious. I live in a block where half the flats have gay residents but i'm in one of the gayest parts of London! I'm not naive enough to believe that a block of flats on an estate in Dundee will be full of gays too. I can separate my own corner of the world from what's true for the entire nation.
vauxhall1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 14:50
Microkorg
Forum Member

Louis Smith!
Microkorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 17:00
marjangles
Forum Member

Yes they can carry out surveys about sexuality and respected institutions have been doing so for decades... and very successfully; i've quoted several. They are not "pointless", "mad" or "ridiculous" just because they deliver results you don't agree with. If you'd bothered to check out the NATSAL and ONS surveys I mentioned you'd see that in the younger age groups the figure is around 3% as it's obvious you'll find far more people identfying as gay, lesbian etc in a 6 form college than in an old people's home. Just because someone works in retail in a big city and finds quite a few gay people there doesn't mean the same must be true across all ages, regions, occupations. Surely that is obvious. I live in a block where half the flats have gay residents but i'm in one of the gayest parts of London! I'm not naive enough to believe that a block of flats on an estate in Dundee will be full of gays too. I can separate my own corner of the world from what's true for the entire nation.
It is true though that a criticism of surveys which ask people to define their own sexuality can be somewhat unreliable since people do lie or give incorrect answers for various reasons even if they are promised that the results are to be kept strictly confidential. It's one of the reasons why a lot of organisations use different means to assess the level of non-heterosexuals in a given population although of course those methods aren't foolproof either.

If I remember correctly 5% of people in the ONS survey declined to answer the question, it's not unreasonable to suggest that this may be because they didn't wish to disclose a non-heterosexual sexuality. If 1 in 20 declined to answer despite anonymity promised to them then I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest either that a proportion of those answering did not do so honestly. It's also true that the number of gay people drops off substantially in older age groups. That could well be a legacy of the fact that homosexual sex was illegal when they were younger and that also skews the number downwards.

The NATSAL survey confused me. It appears on page 3 to say that 2.8% of men and 2.7% of women identified themselves as either gay, bisexual or other and yet you've said that the survey found 1.5% combined. Am I reading the figures wrong or was there a significant number of people who didn't respond to that question here too?

I was actually questioned as part of the ONS survey and the question was kind of thrown in in the middle of a lot of other questions and came totally out of the blue. Although I answered honestly I very nearly didn't because I didn't think it was any business of the ONS. The vast majority of other questions seemed totally innocuous but that one didn't and despite being openly gay the question gave me pause for thought.

One final point is that this is the first time these surveys have brought up the question of sexuality. More surveys producing the same results are needed before we can conclude definitively.
marjangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 17:21
Lil_M
Forum Member

Aqib khan-they guy off the jury and west is west. Reckon he is a gay n all
Lil_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 17:22
Jenny_Meadows
Forum Member

Oops! That's what i get for speed reading. Totally misread what you said. Sorry.
It's ok
Old 12-01-2014, 17:32
Cryolemon
Forum Member

That they need to bring out a sex-tape, pronto.
Lol. I'd watch it.
Cryolemon is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 18:02
attackmusic
Inactive Member

That is because the reasons are ridiculous. No one is saying people aren't in the closet, just mocking the logic. But you are the person who said Jessica Chastain and Jess Wexler not going to as many premieres together was "suspicious", despite the fact they then did a film together and were pictured loads of times, Chastain had a secret male fiance, Wexler has a long term boyfriend and the two are, SHOCK HORROR, best friends.

You honestly can't see our problem? There are people in here who seem to think "anyone" could be gay and doubt any celebrity relationships, even though there is no evidence they aren't straight. Luke Evans being the exception.

I myself am in the LGBT community and have happily dated women so don't trot out the homophobia accusations. As for percentage, I would guess around 5% but I don't know for sure obviously!
attackmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 18:06
Lil_M
Forum Member

Aqib khan-they guy off the jury and west is west. Reckon he is a gay
Lil_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 23:49
Visitor Q
Forum Member

Interesting that you mentioned him, although I'm guessing a lot of people won't know who he is.

I listen to his radio shows a lot and I've often noticed that he says very little about his private life (except occasional mentions of his mother... and his weight). I suppose you could argue that radio presenters aren't meant to "personalise" discussions, but Radio 5 is quite relaxed and most presenters occasionally mention their partners, children etc.
Visitor Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2014, 09:09
Nobby Burton
Forum Member

I read somewhere that it's an open secret in Belfast that Stephen Nolan is gay
Nobby Burton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2014, 17:16
ThaGazBoi
Forum Member

That they need to bring out a sex-tape, pronto.
YES PLEASE.
ThaGazBoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 11:46
wilehelmas
Forum Member

Are we back to talking about Ant and Dec again?

Noooo, spare me the Morrisons Scone-Scon isle sex scenes!

Jk...Ant and Dec all the way, baby!
wilehelmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 12:33
denial_orstupid
Forum Member

of course you can carry out surveys on sexuality but they would be so inaccurate i could make the results up and it wouldn't be more or less accurate than any other .
the majority of people will lie about theirs .

any survey on sexuality isn't worth the paper it is written on .
denial_orstupid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 22:15
Jenny_Meadows
Forum Member

of course you can carry out surveys on sexuality but they would be so inaccurate i could make the results up and it wouldn't be more or less accurate than any other .
the majority of people will lie about theirs .

any survey on sexuality isn't worth the paper it is written on .
I agree. Of course more people are straight(as some people love reminding LGBT people) but we will never know the exact percentage and it shouldn't make a difference. We shouldn't be treated as lesser beings because there are less of us. Things have got better in some ways but in lots of ways they are just as bad as they were years and years ago.
Old 14-01-2014, 23:21
TTTango
Forum Member

Are we back to talking about Ant and Dec again?

Noooo, spare me the Morrisons Scone-Scon isle sex scenes!

Jk...Ant and Dec all the way, baby!
50% gay
TTTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 01:58
dee123
Forum Member

That Lee would a bossy bottom
Old 15-01-2014, 21:44
vauxhall1964
Forum Member

The NATSAL survey confused me. It appears on page 3 to say that 2.8% of men and 2.7% of women identified themselves as either gay, bisexual or other and yet you've said that the survey found 1.5% combined. Am I reading the figures wrong or was there a significant number of people who didn't respond to that question here too?.
yes sorry, the table on page 3 gives under 'all ages' for men 1.5%gay and a further 1% for bisexual (total 2.5%). For women it's 1% and 1.4%. I'm not including the 'other' 0.3% as we have no idea what people meant by that ('asexual' being one option). So in NATSAL it's 2.5% combined gay/lesbian/bisexual not 1.5% as I posted earlier. It was the ONS survey that came up with 1.5% for gay and bisexual combined. NATSAL was 1% higher, which I suspect is because NATSAL didn't ask people face to face but via a computer based survey.
vauxhall1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2014, 11:44
Jenny_Meadows
Forum Member

I doubt it'll make any difference.
Unfortunately I agree. I can't see it happening for a long time. We all know how terrible football fans can be with offensive chants. Look at the comments that black footballers get I especially don't think a really big player would come out.