Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Man about the house Itv3 daily

Old 21-11-2012, 19:26
highlander1969
Forum Member

Talking of editing, the episode of Fawlty Towers about the Germans was shown the week before last on GOLD. As many of you know the major makes certain racial references using two unacceptable words. Surprising how after all this time that GOLD can get away with this without editing. Can you imagine the hell there would be to pay if BBC1 or BBC2 transmitted this without editing.
We might find out quite soon! BBC2 Scotland has been running Series 1 at weekends. It's timeslot's moved around recently due to Remembrance Day and sport events.

Last Sunday "Gourmet Night" was screened at 5.30pm billed as episode 5 of 6. This would mean "The Germans" episode should be on this weekend.

I wonder if they'll make any edits?
highlander1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 21-11-2012, 20:50
koantemplation
Forum Member

I could have sworn Robin said 'You'd make someone a nice slut' to Jo this evening.
koantemplation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 20:47
little ern
Forum Member

An episode of Man About The House has a cheeky Scrabble board scene, technology has now advanced sufficiently to allow us read the words clearly !

http://www.noisetosignal.org/2008/07/dirty
That scene was in the episode shown yesterday.
little ern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 12:22
Suzywong 63
Forum Member

Love man about the house,the fasions are hillairious ,love Mildreds withering put downs to long suffering George.
Suzywong 63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 15:43
cliveb2005
Forum Member

Love man about the house,the fasions are hillairious ,love Mildreds withering put downs to long suffering George.
..."Come in George, I know you're there - I can smell the fear"...!!
cliveb2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 15:45
cliveb2005
Forum Member

Good to see Roy Kinnear in there as well as Jerry the builder - full of bravado and big schemes....until faced with Mildred !
cliveb2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 18:16
highlander1969
Forum Member

Good to see Roy Kinnear in there as well as Jerry the builder - full of bravado and big schemes....until faced with Mildred !
Roy was fantastic. He always stole the scenes. Surprisingly he was only in around 5 episodes of "George And Mildred"
highlander1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2012, 14:29
India_Rain
Forum Member

Ah, I used to love this. Off to try and watch it online, and bring back some good memories.
India_Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2012, 15:31
Alrightmate
Forum Member

Great theme tune.

Why don't they bother making such good theme tunes for TV shows nowadays?

Or just opening sequences themselves? They don't tend to bother at all with them now do they?
I think an opening sequence with great theme tune adds so much to a show and demonstrates the personality of the show right from the start and puts you right in there.
Alrightmate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2012, 15:52
ganderpoke66
Inactive Member

I'm not sure if MATH was a studio audience show or if a laugh track was added later , there's a bit of dialogue missed because the actors [ especially Thomsett and Willcox ] talk through the previous gag's laugh, rather than wait for it to subside.
ganderpoke66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2012, 21:00
davelovesleeds
Forum Member

Great theme tune.

Or just opening sequences themselves? They don't tend to bother at all with them now do they?
I think an opening sequence with great theme tune adds so much to a show and demonstrates the personality of the show right from the start and puts you right in there.
The best opening theme/sequence on TV these days is New Tricks which is adapted to who is in that episode that week and of course it's a great theme too.
davelovesleeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:08
Sambda
Forum Member

Roy was fantastic. He always stole the scenes. Surprisingly he was only in around 5 episodes of "George And Mildred"
"George And Mildred" also benefited from another pair of guest stars - Mildred's older, but wealthier sister, Ethel (Avril Elgar), and her husband, Humphrey (Reginald Marsh).

Mildred and Ethel had this sort of measured-insult oneupmanship thing going on, so Ethel would make comments like: "What a charming small house," and, "You are so lucky to have a simulated fur coat." Mildred would respond with stuff like: "Why don't you sit over here - where the light's a bit kinder to you," and, "Do you need a rug for your knees, dear?" Funnier when delivered by professionals than it seems on paper.
Sambda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:30
Suzywong 63
Forum Member

"George And Mildred" also benefited from another pair of guest stars - Mildred's older, but wealthier sister, Ethel (Avril Elgar), and her husband, Humphrey (Reginald Marsh).

Mildred and Ethel had this sort of measured-insult oneupmanship thing going on, so Ethel would make comments like: "What a charming small house," and, "You are so lucky to have a simulated fur coat." Mildred would respond with stuff like: "Why don't you sit over here - where the light's a bit kinder to you," and, "Do you need a rug for your knees, dear?" Funnier when delivered by professionals than it seems on paper.
Briliant humour,love the old sitcoms ,nearest and dearest used to have me rolling around with it,s daftness.
Suzywong 63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:41
Steven Oliver
Forum Member

I'm not sure if MATH was a studio audience show or if a laugh track was added later , there's a bit of dialogue missed because the actors [ especially Thomsett and Willcox ] talk through the previous gag's laugh, rather than wait for it to subside.
MATH and George & Mildred were both studio audience shows, IIRC..
Steven Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 13:12
Ella Nut
Forum Member

"Mildew", if you please!
Ella Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 13:42
Sambda
Forum Member

MATH and George & Mildred were both studio audience shows, IIRC..
There may have had the odd scene done as pre-records though. Often stuff with babies, animals, SFX or general mess would be done like that, probably on the afternoon of the day of the evening VTR.

For example, there's one scene in MATH where Robin and Chrissy are looking after a (real) baby. The baby seems very peacful and falls asleep on camera. I imagine that was done earlier.
Old 04-12-2012, 13:57
Sambda
Forum Member

Briliant humour,love the old sitcoms ,nearest and dearest used to have me rolling around with it,s daftness.
Sitcoms (or at least decent ones) seem to have all but petered out, don't they? Only Ricky Gervais has churned out anything new which could be called a classic in the last 15 years*. The 1990s was very strong on sitcoms, after a relatively weaker 1980s (overall), and a strong 1970s.

*I've only watched 2 (non-revival/continuation) sitcoms in that time - "The Office" and "Extras". Yikes - we are in trouble!
Old 04-12-2012, 17:02
Steven Oliver
Forum Member

There may have had the odd scene done as pre-records though. Often stuff with babies, animals, SFX or general mess would be done like that, probably on the afternoon of the day of the evening VTR.

For example, there's one scene in MATH where Robin and Chrissy are looking after a (real) baby. The baby seems very peacful and falls asleep on camera. I imagine that was done earlier.
There's similar scenes in the final series of Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em where Frank is seen talking or singing to his daughter, Jessica. These were taped at the house of the young baby playing her, rather than in the BBC studios.

Pre-records and location footage usually would be shown to the audience at the recordings. Last of the Summer Wine (which Brian Murphy appeared in for its last few years) broke away from this mould in the early 1990s when all scenes, both external and internal, were filmed first and then shown to an audience before the episode was transmitted.
Old 04-12-2012, 17:17
Sambda
Forum Member

Last of the Summer Wine (which Brian Murphy appeared in for its last few years) broke away from this mould in the early 1990s when all scenes, both external and internal, were filmed first and then shown to an audience before the episode was transmitted.
"Blackadder" (first series) was done like that, and, I believe "The Young Ones" too. Dunno if there were many/any earlier than those.
Old 04-12-2012, 19:57
davelovesleeds
Forum Member

Yes, Two Foot Two, Eyes Of Blue, a nice episode that one.
davelovesleeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 21:32
Steven Oliver
Forum Member

"Blackadder" (first series) was done like that, and, I believe "The Young Ones" too. Dunno if there were many/any earlier than those.
It was also the reason why the first series of Blackadder was almost the last; when it returned in 1986 it was as a studio-based production in front of an audience, at the insistence of Michael Grade.

Some of the early BBC Kenny Everett shows were also done in a similar way. I think the only bits performed in front of an audience were the links, the opening/closing sections and the Brother Lee Love sketches.
Old 04-12-2012, 21:37
Westy2
Forum Member

There's similar scenes in the final series of Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em where Frank is seen talking or singing to his daughter, Jessica. These were taped at the house of the young baby playing her, rather than in the BBC studios.

Pre-records and location footage usually would be shown to the audience at the recordings. Last of the Summer Wine (which Brian Murphy appeared in for its last few years) broke away from this mould in the early 1990s when all scenes, both external and internal, were filmed first and then shown to an audience before the episode was transmitted.
'Jessica' was on film, wasn't she?
Westy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 23:04
Sambda
Forum Member

'Jessica' was on film, wasn't she?
In the Xmas 74 special, yes. I don't remember about the Xmas 75 special*. But then on video in the 1978 series.

*The Xmas 75 stuff here: http://www.steve-p.org/sm/smdae2.htm doesn't mention her. Wasn't she in that one?
Old 04-12-2012, 23:41
ToffeeGuy
Forum Member

Because they think audiences have such a short attention span they will turn over as soon as the credits run.
ToffeeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 14:36
Maybelle
Forum Member

Mildred:

George, you slipped out when my back was turned - I hadn't finished!

Maybelle is offline   Reply With Quote