Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

The Sapphires.

Old 29-10-2012, 11:19
Tangledweb7
Forum Member

I do not know whether there is a thread for this. I just thought i would start one as its coming to the cinemas soon 7th November. I have to say judging by the trailers i am really looking forward to this.
Tangledweb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 29-10-2012, 22:12
RAZORBACK
Forum Member

Saw it last week, although it wasn't by any means perfect still thought it was a pretty decent movie...
RAZORBACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 10:49
Tangledweb7
Forum Member

Saw it last week, although it wasn't by any means perfect still thought it was a pretty decent movie...
Well good really looking forward to it. I like Chris O'Dowd.
Old 30-10-2012, 11:08
Wryip
Forum Member

This is a brilliant film, saw it a couple of months ago. Jess Mauboy wasn't too bad for her acting debut and her singing is amazing.

Deborah Mailman really carries the film, she creates a strong character who you feel rather supportive of.

The storyline blends comedy, history and drama really well. The ending ruined it slightly for me, but overall a great film.

Would highly recommend it, Mailman really does shine. And as a film about a point in Australian history this one puts Baz Luhrmann's big budget Australia in the shade
Wryip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 11:36
Music_box
Forum Member

This is a brilliant film, saw it a couple of months ago. Jess Mauboy wasn't too bad for her acting debut and her singing is amazing.

Deborah Mailman really carries the film, she creates a strong character who you feel rather supportive of.

The storyline blends comedy, history and drama really well. The ending ruined it slightly for me, but overall a great film.

Would highly recommend it, Mailman really does shine. And as a film about a point in Australian history this one puts Baz Luhrmann's big budget Australia in the shade

It's not her acting debut tho
Music_box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 13:29
Wryip
Forum Member

It's not her acting debut tho
Yeah I've just looked it up and its not. It is how the media portrayed it though, probably bigged up in order to get more people watching. It was certainly one of the reasons I went to watch it. I really hope the film is a success internationally, if only to give Jess' singing more exposure. Chris O'Dowd should be a big enough name to pull in some audience I guess.
Old 30-10-2012, 16:30
pearlsandplums
Forum Member

There's a line of men waiting to suck my ring off
pearlsandplums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 11:59
mevilhoney
Forum Member

I didn`t know this,I`ve only seen the trailer,but obviously according to IMDb,it`s not a light Dreamgirls thing. But I could have sworn in the trailer Chris O`Dowd is Irish/Chris O`Dowd,and the girl he`s speaking to is Scouse? I`ll watch the trailer more closely next time.
mevilhoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 21:54
Wryip
Forum Member

I didn`t know this,I`ve only seen the trailer,but obviously according to IMDb,it`s not a light Dreamgirls thing. But I could have sworn in the trailer Chris O`Dowd is Irish/Chris O`Dowd,and the girl he`s speaking to is Scouse? I`ll watch the trailer more closely next time.
Don't remeber anyone with a scouse accent, but Chris O'Dowd is playing an Irish music promoter.
Old 01-11-2012, 19:56
Tangledweb7
Forum Member

It says in the trailer that its based on a true story does that mean there was a real irish promoter who worked with them?
Fascinating if its true like an early Louis Walsh.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:42
Tangledweb7
Forum Member

Yay! out in the cinema this coming week can't wait.
Old 03-11-2012, 15:04
little-monster
Forum Member

I read about this a few months when it came out in Oz and thank god we finally get it. I am eager to see it
little-monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2012, 16:16
Residents Fan
Forum Member

I agree. "The Sapphires" is best Aussie film I've seen
in ages.
Residents Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2012, 18:36
Stephen_Simpson
Forum Member

Saw this a few days ago. Very good film. Really enjoyed it. Hope it gets a few Golden Globe nominations.
Stephen_Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote