Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Windows 8 purchase/installation

Old 29-10-2012, 14:18
GetFrodo
Forum Member

- If you purchase online, do you end up with a complete, self-contained file that can archived on DVD?
- Ditto with Media Center (it's free, right?)
- Can you do a clean installation or does it have to be over an existing copy?

Cheers
GetFrodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 29-10-2012, 14:20
anniebrion
Inactive Member

You can create an ISO file that you burn to a DVD, write to a backup device etc...

Media Center is just a code that you enter it then activated on your PC after a reboot so you don't get a file as such just keep the activation code in a safe place.
anniebrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 14:23
Stig
Forum Member

As what you purchase is an upgrade version, what compliance checking does it do?

I have previous versions of Windows, but I always like to do a clean install.
Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 14:25
anniebrion
Inactive Member

I did not format the HDD it just move windows 7 to the windows.old folder, I only kept the personal data files so had to re-install all my apps. It did keep some of the settings though ie, Homegroup, machine name etc...
Old 29-10-2012, 14:32
Stig
Forum Member

I did not format the HDD it just move windows 7 to the windows.old folder, I only kept the personal data files so had to re-install all my apps. It did keep some of the settings though ie, Homegroup, machine name etc...
Thanks, but that doesn't answer my question: how do you a do a clean install?
Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 14:53
GetFrodo
Forum Member

This sheds some light: http://www.winsupersite.com/article/...e-media-144648
GetFrodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 14:54
anniebrion
Inactive Member

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/...e-media-144648
Old 29-10-2012, 14:58
XSuspectCorpseX
Forum Member

you cannot do a clean install with windows 8 it just installs over your previous version of windows. if you want such a clean install then you need to do a clean install of windows 7 then install windows 8 over it either from a burnt dvd or usb device or by mounting a disc. this will give you windows 8 with nothing from windows 7 no personal files folders ect. then you will see a folder on your local disk called windows old just delete then you have a fresh install of windows 8. but windows 8 is an upgrade its not a complete new o.s you can buy it on disk but same goes for downloading it.

hope this helps
XSuspectCorpseX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 15:02
John146
Forum Member

Downloaded and upgraded to Windows 8 Pro, got so many error messages after installation decided to format drive and go back to Windows 7, is there any way I can re-download Windows 8 without having to pay for it again?
I did print out the order e-mail from Microsoft with the Installation Code.
John146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 15:10
Aye Up
Forum Member

Downloaded and upgraded to Windows 8 Pro, got so many error messages after installation decided to format drive and go back to Windows 7, is there any way I can re-download Windows 8 without having to pay for it again?
I did print out the order e-mail from Microsoft with the Installation Code.
I am assuming the ISO one downloads isnt a customised version so I have the ISO is you would like me to upload it for you? I would give you the download link? For safety purposes I am going to put it on my drop box....
Aye Up is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 15:10
beachwalker
Forum Member

I purchased online did iso burned it disc. installed upgrade over win7 then did a refresh which is an option in RESTORE. This kept all my files and photos but had to re-install anything that had been installed by disk or download . It gives you a list of what was not installed after the refresh. Works great switch on to desktop 12seconds
beachwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 15:22
anniebrion
Inactive Member

I am assuming the ISO one downloads isnt a customised version so I have the ISO is you would like me to upload it for you? I would give you the download link? For safety purposes I am going to put it on my drop box....
Not sure if you have a download for 32bit and 64bit or both are in the same download

Edit: It looks like windows 8 matches the version of windows 7 at the time of download. So make sure you get the correct version of the Windows 8 Download.

@John146 What bit is your current version of windows? is it 32bit or 64bit? Press WinKey+Break/Pause should give the info.
Old 29-10-2012, 15:31
John146
Forum Member

I did order/pay for the DVD to be delivered when I downloaded a copy, suppose I should just be patient and wait for it to arrive.
Old 29-10-2012, 15:31
John146
Forum Member

Not sure if you have a download for 32bit and 64bit or both are in the same download

Edit: It looks like windows 8 matches the version of windows 7 at the time of download. So make sure you get the correct version of the Windows 8 Download.

@John146 What bit is your current version of windows? is it 32bit or 64bit? Press WinKey+Break/Pause should give the info.
Thanks Anniebrion, running 64 bit Windows 7
Old 29-10-2012, 15:37
anniebrion
Inactive Member

Thanks Anniebrion, running 64 bit Windows 7
Great.

@Aye Up if you have 64bit then that'll be fine for John146 to use

Just checked my order email and you can get the download from a link in the email
This is your receipt - make sure to print or save a copy for your records.
If you need to download Windows, write down your new product key and enter it here.
here is a link.
Old 29-10-2012, 15:49
Aye Up
Forum Member

Great.

Just checked my order email and you can get the download from a link in the email here is a link.
It is 64bit that si the version I am using on Windows 7
Aye Up is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 15:53
John146
Forum Member

Great.

Just checked my order email and you can get the download from a link in the email here is a link.
Sorry?, Anniebrion, I lost my order e-mail when I formatted my hard drive to revert back to windows 7, but I do have a printed copy of the order with the product key, so I do not have the link from the e-mail
Old 29-10-2012, 15:56
anniebrion
Inactive Member

Sorry?, Anniebrion, I lost my order e-mail when I formatted my hard drive to revert back to windows 7, but I do have a printed copy of the order with the product key, so I do not have the link from the e-mail
I've PMed you.
Old 29-10-2012, 15:56
Adam Norton
Forum Member

you cannot do a clean install with windows 8 it just installs over your previous version of windows. if you want such a clean install then you need to do a clean install of windows 7 then install windows 8 over it either from a burnt dvd or usb device or by mounting a disc. this will give you windows 8 with nothing from windows 7 no personal files folders ect. then you will see a folder on your local disk called windows old just delete then you have a fresh install of windows 8. but windows 8 is an upgrade its not a complete new o.s you can buy it on disk but same goes for downloading it.

hope this helps

I thought that you could do a clean boot from booting from the DVD ISO upon startup (after BIOS screens).

As I already have had a copy of Windows 8 for quite a while (all legit by the way, as was provided from Work due to my line of work). I've always clean booted but then I have a full retail pro editions and enterprise edtions.

But from any guides I've seen before I upgrading any family members computers etc, it all seems you can do a clean install from booting from the disc from bios.
Adam Norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 15:57
anniebrion
Inactive Member

I thought that you could do a clean boot from booting from the DVD ISO upon startup (after BIOS screens).

As I already have had a copy of Windows 8 for quite a while (all legit by the way, as was provided from Work due to my line of work). I've always clean booted but then I have a full retail pro editions and enterprise edtions.

But from any guides I've seen before I upgrading any family members computers etc, it all seems you can do a clean install from booting from the disc from bios.
Only non-upgrade DVD/Images can do a true clean install.
Old 29-10-2012, 16:02
John146
Forum Member

Thanks very much Anniebrion works a treat
Old 29-10-2012, 16:04
anniebrion
Inactive Member

Thanks very much Anniebrion works a treat
Enjoy I love windows 8 and the Modern UI stuff
Old 29-10-2012, 16:37
RG101
Forum Member

hope this helps
It is possible to do a clean install, it took to my new blank ssd first time no problem, I've read that a few people get an error code but it can be rectified.
There is a guide I can link to, hope I'm not breaking forum rules by posting it

http://www.ghacks.net/2012/10/27/win...tall-possible/
RG101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 17:02
JSemple3
Forum Member

If anybody needs a media centre code? PM me. I got 3 sitting here.
JSemple3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 07:11
justjax
Forum Member

does anyone know if after download, when it pops up asking if you want to install now, install to media or install from desktop later, does selecting install to media (USB or ISO disc) allow you are burning to disc/USB and still allow you to go back and install from desktop or do you then have to use the ISO/USB to install?
justjax is offline   Reply With Quote