Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Windows 8 BluRay Software?

Old 04-11-2012, 15:12
wavejockglw
Forum Member

Just upgraded to Windows 8 and loving it but my LG BluRay writer came bundled with Cyberlink Power DVD9 which was great with Win 7 for BluRay viewing on the PC. Sadly it's not supported in Windows 8 and the new version is Power DVD12 which costs $49 to upgrade! I have tried VLC's latest version and although it claims BluRay support it is crashing after just 2 seconds opening a BluRay disc.

Anyone had a similar experience and found a good solution?
wavejockglw is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 04-11-2012, 16:17
Sexbomb
Forum Member

Same thing again, the manufacturers knew windows 8 was coming out, so why didn't they get the drivers ready for it in time? reminds me of vista

I have same problem with some drivers, software and with my board. Soon as i put them on, the system mucks up
Sexbomb is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 16:32
Adam Law
Forum Member

http://www.digiarty.com/

That's the only freeware BluRay player I know of.
Adam Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 16:58
The Sack
Forum Member

I ended up upgrading to Nero 12 which comes with a Bluray player (not the best solution i know, sorry)
The Sack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 18:29
emptybox
Forum Member

I'm confused as to why programs, or even drivers, won't work in Windows 8, if they worked happily in Windows 7?
I thought they were basically the same under the hood, apart from the Metro bit?

Perhaps I was just lucky when I upgraded, but all my programs and drivers work in 8 just the same as they did in 7. Even old XP programs.

(I realise this is of no help to the OP sorry )
emptybox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 20:06
wavejockglw
Forum Member

http://www.digiarty.com/

That's the only freeware BluRay player I know of.
Just downloaded it and it seems fine with some BluRays and rejects others. Still it's 100% more than I had so happy days. Thanks for the link.
wavejockglw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 20:50
Maxatoria
Forum Member

I'm confused as to why programs, or even drivers, won't work in Windows 8, if they worked happily in Windows 7?
I thought they were basically the same under the hood, apart from the Metro bit?

Perhaps I was just lucky when I upgraded, but all my programs and drivers work in 8 just the same as they did in 7. Even old XP programs.

(I realise this is of no help to the OP sorry )
A small change could require a large change under the hood and generally most companies won't rewrite drivers for stuff thats no longer for general sale and MS will also change how things work with each version of the OS so a program that expects a certain response from a Win 7 system may freak out when it gets the same thing from a Win 8 machine at a low level
Maxatoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 22:02
Adam Law
Forum Member

Just downloaded it and it seems fine with some BluRays and rejects others. Still it's 100% more than I had so happy days. Thanks for the link.
You're welcome
Adam Law is offline   Reply With Quote