Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

MSN being retired in favour of Skype

Old 05-11-2012, 15:17
Dynopia
Forum Member

I still use MSN and have done since 2003, annoyed about this
Dynopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 05-11-2012, 15:28
barky99
Forum Member

surprised msn was still going as the microsoft services that replaced it, windows 'live', are dead &/or dying
barky99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 15:33
mred2000
Forum Member

I can't find any articles about this happening but I suppose it makes sense. I still use the web-app whenever I'm signed into Hotmail if anyone is around but that's about it.
mred2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 16:21
mounty
Forum Member

not officially confirmed or denied at the moment:

http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/2012...ed-into-skype/
mounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 16:56
s2k
Forum Member

I gave up on Live Messenger about 6 years ago after many years of use. I then signed in about a year or 2 later out of curiosity and I think there was only like 5 or so people out of the 40odd on my list actually online. Presumably people have moved on to other services or just use Facebook etc.

I guess it does make logical sense from Microsoft's point of view as it must be costing them a fortune to keep running despite it essentially doing the same thing as Skype.
s2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 17:43
barky99
Forum Member

the chat seems to be blended into the new online outlook replacement for live (hot)mail ... so skype isn't necessary perhaps
barky99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 20:37
CoolboyA
Forum Member

The new "Messaging" app on Windows 8 negates the need to even have separate apps - it draws from Facebook/MSN/Skype etc. It works really well and looks great. Just needs the ability to send files, but then I guess they want you to use "Mail" for that.
CoolboyA is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 22:41
whoever,hey
Forum Member

Nooooooooooooo, we use MSN to communicate at work!
whoever,hey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 23:24
DJGM
Forum Member

I still use MSN and have done since 2003, annoyed about this
surprised msn was still going as the microsoft services that replaced it, windows 'live', are dead &/or dying

MSN is a content portal website. MSN branded Messenger was discontinued almost 7 years ago !

If it's true that messenger is being folded into Skype, there'll be no more (wrongly) calling it MSN!
DJGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 00:03
noise747
Forum Member

The new "Messaging" app on Windows 8 negates the need to even have separate apps - it draws from Facebook/MSN/Skype etc. It works really well and looks great. Just needs the ability to send files, but then I guess they want you to use "Mail" for that.
There will be many people for may years who will not have Windows 8 and even then, they may not want to use a full screen app.

I use Digsby, which allows me to access Microsoft messenger, aim and Yahoo and it is nice to have it on the same screen I am working on, so if any one do leave a message I can see it.

I have used and still do use skype, but not as often as I used to, but I never really seen what the fuss is about it, because sound quality is to be honest awful on it.

Also after seeing that skype gave private info of a 16 year old to a security firm, I am not sure if I want to use it again.
noise747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:03
neo_wales
Forum Member

I don't know anyone who still uses MSN/
neo_wales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:13
noise747
Forum Member

I don't know anyone who still uses MSN/
i know a few, even if it is not via the MSN software itself.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:39
DotNetWill
Forum Member

Hope not, I use it everyday and have done for about 10 years.

MSN is a content portal website. MSN branded Messenger was discontinued almost 7 years ago !
Who cares? Everyone knows what you mean when you say MSN.
DotNetWill is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 22:42
morski
Forum Member

Seems to be official now rather than just a rumour. BBC News

Mentioned it to my daughter that this could be closing down as such earlier this evening, she's 17 years old and her answer was "oh no one uses that anymore, they're all on Facebook, whatsapp or Blackberry now". As I had mentioned it, she decided to log in for the first time in about 3 years, out of 104 contacts on her list not one was showing as online, even she was surprised that not one person was showing as online. Looks like it might be the right decision from MS based on that!
morski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:12
noise747
Forum Member

i posted the story on facebook yesterday, it upset a few people and some people got confused and thought their hotmail address would be going.

so I put them right and said their address will still be staying.
Old 07-11-2012, 17:39
monalisa62003
Inactive Member

msn does so much more than chat. theres loads of good games that you can't get anywhere on the web. you can print screen photos and paste them to share without having to send. you can have multi chats with loads of people. does skype do any of this?
monalisa62003 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 18:03
LostFool
Forum Member

Switch to Skype then. Easy.

Personally, I don't think I've use MSN/Live messenger in about 5 years.
LostFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 18:11
DotNetWill
Forum Member

I've read it's more they are merging the two and will move Skype IM on the MSN infrastructure and keep the Skype brand. Whatever they do I hope they keep the XMPP support as Pigdin/Adium don't support Skype and the Skype client sucks balls.
DotNetWill is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 20:43
zippydoodah
Forum Member

Everyone knows what you mean when you say MSN.

Guess its successful branding for those who have been round a long time in the web world. I still call it MSN only because of when I used it all those years ago and the name has stuck with me. The same with Hotmail. Even though its been rebranded and shifted over to Outlook, I still check my Hotmail despite its not called that no more.
zippydoodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 20:50
TheBigM
Forum Member

You're all close to the truth but not exactly there. The Windows Live messaging network has already been moved to Skype (which is also capable doing FB chat). All that is happening now is that the Windows Live Messenger application is being discontinued and Skype will be their only desktop application for instant messaging.
TheBigM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 21:42
monalisa62003
Inactive Member

You're all close to the truth but not exactly there. The Windows Live messaging network has already been moved to Skype (which is also capable doing FB chat). All that is happening now is that the Windows Live Messenger application is being discontinued and Skype will be their only desktop application for instant messaging.
Skype doesnt have games
monalisa62003 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 22:00
s2k
Forum Member

I've read it's more they are merging the two and will move Skype IM on the MSN infrastructure and keep the Skype brand. Whatever they do I hope they keep the XMPP support as Pigdin/Adium don't support Skype and the Skype client sucks balls.
I remember having the big 3 (AIM, YIM and MSN) and MSN was notorouisly bad as an application. It had major stability problems with it randomly signing you out, performing file transfers etc and to make it any good you had to use stuff like messpatch and the plus addon. Microsoft would then release a new version and it would be a battle to get it all working again so that was one of the reasons I got fed up with it. When I got my Mac I was using Adium which was so much better in comparison...nice clean interface and much more stable. From then on in Windows I only ever bothered with Pidgin. Sure it lacked the eyecandy and some of the toys but it was a much better app.
s2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 22:06
excelents
Forum Member

I can't find any articles about this happening but I suppose it makes sense. I still use the web-app whenever I'm signed into Hotmail if anyone is around but that's about it.
Microsoft and Skype to axe world's most popular IM client early 2013
excelents is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 23:04
whoever,hey
Forum Member

If it's true that messenger is being folded into Skype, there'll be no more (wrongly) calling it MSN!
There is reason to be pendantic when people are trying to determine if you mean Megabyte or bit, but everyone knows what people mean when you say MSN.
whoever,hey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 23:10
Rooftopcowboy
Forum Member

MSN really does show how quickly things can go out fashion on the web, 10 years or so ago everyone was on...I was on it all night during my school/college days.

Changing its name to Windows Live really was the beginning of the end though, it just never felt the same with the new name
Rooftopcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote