Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

EE - Vic question ... Who is in charge?

Old 07-11-2012, 07:56
Thumbolina
Forum Member

Phil told Kat and Alfie they had to leave but they are still there with Rozy as Manager. Did Phil change his mind about sacking K and A and running it himself so he put Rozy in? Or did he intend this all along?

Why, if he intended throwing K and A out when they returned, did he decorate a bedroom for Tommy when he re-did all the upstairs? Or did he intend that bedroom to be for Amy?
Thumbolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:06
Scrabbler
Forum Member

He changed his mind about sacking Kat and Alfie although I wish that he'd just thrown them out.
Scrabbler is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:28
Ber
Forum Member

The set-up is a bit weird.

Do K&A just work for Phil and get paid a wage for running the vic or are they renting the premises from him and running it as their own pub?

If it the former then why would they have to be responsible for the costs of runnung the vic and pay phil rent? If the latter then why can phil stick his oar in regarding staffing and when they take time off, etc.
Ber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:34
Mattehhhftw
Forum Member

Alfie and Kat are still landlord and landlady respectively but Roxy is the manager so to me the landlord and landlady are in charge but Roxy manages the pub...
Mattehhhftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:41
Ber
Forum Member

Alfie and Kat are still landlord and landlady respectively but Roxy is the manager so to me the landlord and landlady are in charge but Roxy manages the pub...
Makes no sense though. If the business is "theirs" (as in they just pay phil rent for the premises) then the owner of the building has no say in the running of the business including staffing.

If they are running the pub for Phil (as in he employs them to work there) then why would they be paying rent for the premises they are employed to work in?
Ber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:25
Hankshaw
Forum Member

Maybe they rent the flat upstairs and Phil pays them a wage from working in the pub. That'll probably be why Phil often uses the till as his own personal piggy bank.
Hankshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:02
vaslav37
Forum Member

The Vic is a mess- they need a proper family in there...
vaslav37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:11
dazza89
Forum Member

I agree, though its gonna take alot of planning and some guts for Lorraine to put a new family in the Vic! It hasnt been done before but it would be good to see some new characters behind the bar.
dazza89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:51
Sick Bullet
Forum Member

Kick Alfie and Kat out I'm just sick of it, leave Roxy there with Phil more being more regular and Tracy to
Sick Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 13:22
FM Lover
Forum Member

Is the idea to get Phil & Sharon together as a couple and have them run it.

Sharon would kick Roxy out and let Kat & Alfie do the day to day running with Sharon perched on her stool at the end of the bar knocking back the G&T's
FM Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 13:51
IanMandy
Forum Member

I agree, though its gonna take alot of planning and some guts for Lorraine to put a new family in the Vic! It hasnt been done before but it would be good to see some new characters behind the bar.
It has, when the Butchers ran it
IanMandy is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 13:53
vald
Forum Member

Yep..it's their name above the door. Roxy just gets a wage for managing the place.

Phil may own the pub but Kat and Alfie rent the premises...the business is theirs.
vald is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 13:57
vaslav37
Forum Member

to me a new family is the only answer- the perfect way to introduce a new family, I really dont see what the issue is- there are plenty of decent actors out there...
vaslav37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 14:07
vald
Forum Member

to me a new family is the only answer- the perfect way to introduce a new family, I really dont see what the issue is- there are plenty of decent actors out there...
I'd say the issue is that whoever got brought in would face resentment from fans of existing characters. Kat and Alfie are popular, Sharon and Phil are popular, others like the idea of Roxy and Alfie or even Janine and Michael.

By all means a new family but they need to work themselves into the square first much as Phil and Grant did and Pat and Frank.
Old 07-11-2012, 14:58
orangesmartie
Forum Member

It confuses me that Kat and Alfie are the licensees of the QV, but both of them have criminal records, so would be unlikely to be grated a license.
orangesmartie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 15:45
OhWhenTheSaints
Forum Member

Bring back Den! We didn't SEE him be buried in the grave
OhWhenTheSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 16:14
benbenalen
Forum Member

And is it the mangers job to hire and fire people?
As Carol was asking for a job, but Roxy said No!
benbenalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 16:21
Eastenderstreet
Forum Member

Kat and Alfie are landlords but roxy is the manager and seems to be the one in charge overall which is strange because the landlords are usually over the managers

I cant imagine in reality the owner could appoint a manager when he has tenants running the business for them but then again it is Phil mitchell
Eastenderstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 16:25
vald
Forum Member

And is it the mangers job to hire and fire people?
As Carol was asking for a job, but Roxy said No!
I don't think she can fire the Landlady. Alfie and Kat put 20,000+ into the place. It was a burnt out shell when they took over.
Old 07-11-2012, 16:50
Hound of Love
Forum Member

Agreed. It certainly needs to be taken away from Mitchell ownership, at least.
Hound of Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 17:41
J-B
Forum Member

Alfie was saying in scenes a few days ago about 'asking Roxy' to make any changes

The setup doesn't make any sense. It was established that Alfie bought the lease from Phil and pay rent for the premises. In any normal situation, the premises are then effectively 'theirs' for the term of the lease, ie. they can run any sort of permissible business in any manner they see fit. The profits are theirs, the debts are theirs. Then they go away for a while, and Phil decides to install Roxy as a manager

Alfie is legally in his right to tell Phil where to shove the manager, he could even bar Phil from the premises if he sees fit, requiring written notice to visit.

But then, this is Philth Mitchell
J-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 23:26
Dr K Noisewater
Forum Member

Alfie has only ever been the manager hasnt he? Remember back in 2002 when he pretended to be Chris Wright, Peggy's new bar manager? He's never been the pubs owner or landlord just bar manager. So Phil as owner and landlord was well within his rights to demote Alfie from manager to barman for abandoning the pub. So now Alfie and Kat, although they live upstairs, are merely bar staff and no more senior than the likes of Tracy. Roxy's the pubs new manager and is second in command beneath Phil.
Dr K Noisewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 00:34
IzzyInTheHouse
Forum Member

Alfie has only ever been the manager hasnt he? Remember back in 2002 when he pretended to be Chris Wright, Peggy's new bar manager? He's never been the pubs owner or landlord just bar manager. So Phil as owner and landlord was well within his rights to demote Alfie from manager to barman for abandoning the pub. So now Alfie and Kat, although they live upstairs, are merely bar staff and no more senior than the likes of Tracy. Roxy's the pubs new manager and is second in command beneath Phil.
I think this is right. It doesn't explain why Kat and Alfies names are above the door though...
IzzyInTheHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 00:40
vald
Forum Member

He was manager when Peggy was Landlady. This time he and Kat gave Phil a wad of cash and pay rent. They are the Landlords. Phil does not pay them wages, they keep what is left after expenses and rent.
Old 08-11-2012, 00:55
ericos
Forum Member

He was manager when Peggy was Landlady. This time he and Kat gave Phil a wad of cash and pay rent. They are the Landlords. Phil does not pay them wages, they keep what is left after expenses and rent.
This, - although with their criminal records its unlikely either of them would be granted a licence (as mentioned above)
ericos is offline   Reply With Quote