Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Next Of Kin and smartphone password

Old 08-11-2012, 20:24
nvingo
Forum Member

Earlier this year my uncle sent to my father a package to be opened in the event of his death.
He passed away at the weekend.
My father is now in possession of my uncle's smartphone but which is too new to have been mentioned in that package.
The phone is a Samsung Galaxy S3 (SIII) on Orange contract.
It is locked with the pattern lock screen for which we have not found a password or pattern written down.

I understand that if the phone is unlocked via the factory reset method (power/volume, Linux boot screen) then the data currently stored (contacts, apps, and possibly a Video Will) will be erased,
As yet we have not come across a record of a Google account and password. These may be on his laptop, for which a similar problem exists.

Does anyone have any ideas how to unlock the phone whilst preserving all data, please?
nvingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 08-11-2012, 20:39
Thine Wonk
Forum Member

Earlier this year my uncle sent to my father a package to be opened in the event of his death.
He passed away at the weekend.
My father is now in possession of my uncle's smartphone but which is too new to have been mentioned in that package.
The phone is a Samsung Galaxy S3 (SIII) on Orange contract.
It is locked with the pattern lock screen for which we have not found a password or pattern written down.

I understand that if the phone is unlocked via the factory reset method (power/volume, Linux boot screen) then the data currently stored (contacts, apps, and possibly a Video Will) will be erased,
As yet we have not come across a record of a Google account and password. These may be on his laptop, for which a similar problem exists.

Does anyone have any ideas how to unlock the phone whilst preserving all data, please?
I just replied to the thread in the PC forum!, this one might be a bit more tricky. I think you'll have to do a hard reset if you don't know the google account details. Remember that you could try the micro SD card separately though in another device.
Thine Wonk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 20:52
nvingo
Forum Member

Thank you TW.
I haven't explored the phone but if it has a MicroSD card of course I can investigate that outside of the phone.
Old 08-11-2012, 22:44
tealady
Forum Member

If it's a pattern lock, you could study the screen and see if you can see the smear patterns that make up the pattern.

When/if you get into the pc, you may find that he is logged into his google account, so you might find the username and possibly get a password reset. If not logged in, then typing a letter (from A to Z) in the username box should bring up some options.
tealady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:13
nvingo
Forum Member

If it's a pattern lock, you could study the screen and see if you can see the smear patterns that make up the pattern.
He was a heavy smoker. Everything he owns was covered in a film of nicotine or smelled strongly of it. The laptop and S3 have been thoroughly cleaned before we even powered them

When/if you get into the pc, you may find that he is logged into his google account, so you might find the username and possibly get a password reset. If not logged in, then typing a letter (from A to Z) in the username box should bring up some options.
Good points, thankyou.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:37
Jeredin
Forum Member

Hi, weve just recently had the same problem with my dads phone. Was your uncle quite elderly? If so he may have written his passwords down in a little book somewhere yet to be discovered as my dad had. Possibly try an old army number? Ive got an iphone and galaxy ace both brand new that i can use cos they caant be unlocked becsause only my dad has authority to request an unlock code from them even though Ive told them he passed away 4 weeks ago. Good luck with it.
Jeredin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:52
nvingo
Forum Member

I've just found a text file on a memory card that alludes to contain the googlemail account name/pw, created around the time he took possession of the S3.
I'll verify that on my PC, if it works we'll try it on the S3 later and I'll report back.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:00
artnada
Forum Member

You could also turn the phone off. when off, press the HOME, POWER and Volume UP all t the SAME TIME for about 5 seconds.

You will then enter the recovery menu. Using the volume up/down scroll to reset. Do a reset and it will be as factory.
artnada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:31
m4tt24
Forum Member

You could also turn the phone off. when off, press the HOME, POWER and Volume UP all t the SAME TIME for about 5 seconds.

You will then enter the recovery menu. Using the volume up/down scroll to reset. Do a reset and it will be as factory.
They want to preserve the uncles data as mentioned in the OP.
m4tt24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:06
c4rv
Forum Member

they want to preserve the data, doing a factory reset will wipe it.
c4rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 16:17
artnada
Forum Member

Ah right.
artnada is offline   Reply With Quote