Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Slingbox Pro won't connect to network and can't reset it

Old 11-11-2012, 21:06
itm
Forum Member

My Slingbox Pro disconnected itself from my LAN following an upgrade to my ISP's broadband network. The power light is now on, but no network light. When I power off and power on the box the power light comes on, the network light flashes 5 times then goes out.
When I try to reset the Slingbox (press and hold the reset button for 5 seconds) nothing happens. The power light stays on, but none of the other lights change.
What should I try next??
itm is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 11-11-2012, 23:51
chrisjr
Forum Member

I'm tempted to ask why a change to you ISP's network should have any effect at all on your internal network. Unless you have a new router?

I assume that other devices connect to the router correctly?

So, how do you connect the router and Slingbox? Have you given the Slingbox a static IP address. If there have been changes to the router could the LAN address range have changed, eg it used to be 192.168.1.xxx but is now 192.168.2.xxx or whatever? Anything using DHCP would not be affected but if the Slingbox has a static IP address then that will have an effect.

If you use a cable could the cable be faulty, bit of a coincidence but easy to check if you have a spare cable. If using WiFi did you reset the router and maybe also reset the WiFi security and password? Mind you if you are using a laptop over WiFi that too should fail to connect.
chrisjr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:18
itm
Forum Member

Actually a new O2 router WAS introduced as part of the upgrade. Other devices connect to the router OK. The only other issue I have is with a couple of IP cameras which can't be accessed from the internet at the moment - I suspect that this may be due to a delay in the DNS change propagation for the new static IP address.
The Slingbox is connected to a local dumb switch in the lounge. This switch is uplinked to a Draytek Vigor 2920n, which is the DHCP server. The O2 router is connected to the Draytek as the WAN source. When I first plugged in the O2 router I'd inadvertently left the DHCP server enabled, but disabled it and restarted the router shortly afterwards. I have since power cycled the Draytek and the Slingbox (the latter several times).
The Slingbox had a static internal IP address assigned.
As well as not connecting to the local network, I don't seem able to reset the Slingbox either - pressing and holding the reset button for 5-10 secs doesn't work. Does this suggest a fault with the Slingbox? (a bit of a coincidence I know)
Old 12-11-2012, 14:56
Zorba1970
Forum Member

Yes your slingbox is dead. If when you power it on the lights don't do the usual startup pattern it has blown caps.
Slingbox's rarely last longer than a year.
I changed to Belkin @tv
Zorba1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 16:10
lettice
Forum Member

I had a similar problem two years ago with mine.
Its the power supply.
It is on its way out and will fail soon.
They are still available from slingbox.

Im saying this, as it sounds as you have tested the network thoroughly.

Ive had my slingbox pro since july 2008.
I got my replacement power unit in sept 2010 and still working fine.
Was 14.99 from sling, cheapest I could find then.
lettice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 18:45
itm
Forum Member

I had a similar problem two years ago with mine.
Its the power supply.
It is on its way out and will fail soon.
They are still available from slingbox.

Im saying this, as it sounds as you have tested the network thoroughly.

Ive had my slingbox pro since july 2008.
I got my replacement power unit in sept 2010 and still working fine.
Was 14.99 from sling, cheapest I could find then.
I've heard this from a couple of places now - could be worth a try . A new PSU from Sling costs 23 when delivery costs are included, when seems pretty steep. I think I'll take my chances with this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1208538816...84.m1438.l2649
Old 14-11-2012, 19:13
itm
Forum Member

The new power supply did the trick - back up and running
Old 14-11-2012, 19:39
lettice
Forum Member

The new power supply did the trick - back up and running
Good to hear, a few more years of watching.
lettice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 00:03
infoman
Forum Member

If I had known my Slingbox Solo would only last a year I might not have bought it. Why such glowing reviews or did I just accidentally read the wrong reviews online or simply managed to miss the negative reviews?

I have been playing around with my network here and I think the Slingbox has now died. Whether two are linked I cannot say. What I can say is that I've had no end of problems with my O2 WirelessBox IV router and my Slingbox over the past year. When it works it's great but when it doesn't it's rather annoying.

Perhaps Slingbox designed it to work just a year so they can make more money out of their customers. I live in the UK I would argue that it is a design flaw. Nowhere when I bought the Slingbox, did it state it is only designed to last a year.

I may be ranting but I've spend money hours trying to be able to connect to the Slingbox over the Internet using a port other than the default 5001. I managed to do it about once but then it reset it for some reason some weeks later. That might be a fault of my router. I cannot be certain. Between the two, it's often hard to know which is at fault.

However I do not wish to spend over 100 + 20 for iPod Touch software for just 1 years use. That is poor value for money.

Slingbox themselves suggest replacing the power supply but why would the light come on if the power supply has failed? Surely nothing would work? Why would a company sell a power supply that lasts just over a year? To make extra money out of their own customers? Surely that would be against trading standard rules.

http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-5000295.html

I am weary of buying another power lead to find that isn't the problem. Then I have yet another cable I don't need. I have enough of those already.

I do have some variable voltage transformers. Would it be worth testing it with one of those or could I do even more damage?
infoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:28
chrisjr
Forum Member

If you use a different power supply to the original you need to check three things.

Voltage. Must match the Slingbox PSU exactly.

Current. Must be at least equal to the Slingbox PSU, can be higher but not lower (eg if the Slingbox is 2A a 2A or 4A PSU is OK but a 1A one would not be)

DC Connector. Must be a physical match and also the +ve and -ve terminals must be the right way round. If the Slingbox is correctly designed getting + and - reversed should result in no damage but you cannot be too careful.

The details of PSU voltage and current should be on the Slingbox PSU as might be how the connector is wired.
chrisjr is online now   Reply With Quote