Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Is it worth getting a Second hand LCD / LED

Old 12-11-2012, 12:45
jwar1976
Forum Member

Hey everyone, I am in need of some advice here, as the title states, I am thinking of getting a second hand flat screen television for general use in the spare room & I was wondering if they are worth it or if they should be avoided at all costs. I know you can pick up new sets from around the 100 pound mark, but have seen some used ones in full working order, from about 40 pounds.

Any advice would be great.
jwar1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 12-11-2012, 14:03
captainkremmen
Forum Member

As long as it is in good condition there's no reason not to, other than the fact if you buy it privately there's no guarantee at all, and if you buy from a second hand dealer or shop the guarantee is usually only for a couple of months.

If the guarantee period is important to you then use the 40 towards a new one, but if you don't mind and the one you see is in good condition go for it.
captainkremmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 20:14
David (2)
Forum Member

New if you can.
Also be aware from the freeview side of things, some of the early ones didnt have a Freeview tuner inside - only analogue. You would need to adapt such a set using a set top box. Many early ones were also not Widescreen.
David (2) is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 21:24
jwar1976
Forum Member

Thanks for the replies everyone, I have decided to save and get one new. My local Richer Sounds often has good deals in there, so will take a look.
jwar1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 23:27
Stilian
Inactive Member

Thanks for the replies everyone, I have decided to save and get one new. My local Richer Sounds often has good deals in there, so will take a look.
That is the right decision. Buy new and save money in the long term
Stilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2012, 02:02
bobcar
Forum Member

That is the right decision. Buy new and save money in the long term
You are more likely to save money by buying second hand, this is true of most things but certainly applies to consumer electronics. An alternative to saving money is to get better kit for the same price for second hand stuff.

Second hand kit is less likely to break in the first few months though of course you will have the guarantee with new kit - I'd rather not have to use the guarantee if it can be helped as it can be a pain so second hand is good in that respect.
bobcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2012, 20:00
ProDave
Forum Member

An older second hand LCD set is likely to have better sound if it's old enough to actually have visible forward facing speakers. That probably puts it at 4 to 6 years old. You should find one of that vintage that has freeview built in.
ProDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2012, 22:25
Winston_1
Forum Member

and if you buy from a second hand dealer or shop the guarantee is usually only for a couple of months.
That's what the shop may try to fob you off with but under an EU directive 2nd hand goods from a dealer have a 1 year guarantee. New goods have a 2 year guarantee.

http://www.wak-tt.com/tt/2yearwarranty1.htm

The 5th paragraph is relevant.
Winston_1 is offline   Reply With Quote