Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Nexus 7 32GB - 3G Version

Old 12-11-2012, 18:39
TheCloakroom99
Forum Member

Anywhere tomorrow you are going to be able to buy this?

Not available from the play store yet.

Has it been delayed?

TheCloakroom99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 12-11-2012, 18:40
Anika Hanson
Forum Member

Still undecided on whether to get the 3G version or not. I've given myself until friday to decide.
Anika Hanson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 19:02
LostFool
Forum Member

I probably won't buy a Nexus 7 until closer to Christmas (as present to myself as nobody else is going to buy me it) and I'm considering the 3G version.

I've been looking at the data only SIM deals but the problem is that it's hard to predict how much 3G data I will use.

GiffGaff do 500MB for 5 a month or 1GB for 7.50
Three do 1GB for 7.50 on a rolling monthly contract
Ovivo do 500MB per month for "free" but with pushed adverts

Any other deals out there?
LostFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 19:14
TheCableGuy
Forum Member

What's to technically stop you using a phone contract in a tablet like this? For example the '3' 13 monthly sim has minutes texts and unlimited Internet. As long as you use the correct APNs, how would Three tell that your android tablet isn't an android phone (other than not using your minutes and texts every month)?
TheCableGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 19:29
BKM
Forum Member

GiffGaff do 500MB for 5 a month or 1GB for 7.50
Three do 1GB for 7.50 on a rolling monthly contract
Ovivo do 500MB per month for "free" but with pushed adverts

Any other deals out there?
One of the best "deals" at present seems to be various eBay sellers who are selling 3Gb/3 month 3 PAYG broadband SIMs for just over 11 (for the cheapest). While these COULD, in theory, be topped up at the end of 3-months it would be cheaper to buy another at that point and start again!

What's to technically stop you using a phone contract in a tablet like this? For example the '3' 13 monthly sim has minutes texts and unlimited Internet. As long as you use the correct APNs, how would Three tell that your android tablet isn't an android phone (other than not using your minutes and texts every month)?
They can often tell by analysis (of packet headers, browser IDs etc.) - but if all were Android devices it might be MUCH harder.

Many people seem to ignore the "no tethering" rules but many ISPs also seem to not bother too much unless the data usage gets very high! A colleague of mine has no landline phone and does all her web-access from home via her "unlimited data" mobile contract - and that INCLUDES laptop tethered access! if she ever starts streaming much video, for example, they are very likely to spot her then!

3 seem NOT to be one of the more proactive in policing their SIM cards.
BKM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 22:47
LostFool
Forum Member

One of the best "deals" at present seems to be various eBay sellers who are selling 3Gb/3 month 3 PAYG broadband SIMs for just over 11 (for the cheapest). While these COULD, in theory, be topped up at the end of 3-months it would be cheaper to buy another at that point and start again!
OK, thanks for the info. It's something to bear in mind.
Old 13-11-2012, 09:17
LostFool
Forum Member

Now available on the Play Store for 239 unlocked (+13.99 delivery - ouch). Haven't seen it at other retailers yet.
Old 13-11-2012, 09:50
Steve_Belshaw
Forum Member

Now available on the Play Store for 239 unlocked (+13.99 delivery - ouch). Haven't seen it at other retailers yet.
Yea, I went to buy one on the Play Store but the 13.99 delivery charge stopped me. It's ridiculous.
Steve_Belshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2012, 10:01
flagpole
Inactive Member

Yea, I went to buy one on the Play Store but the 13.99 delivery charge stopped me. It's ridiculous.
especially that the earlier version was only a tenner.
flagpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2012, 10:29
LostFool
Forum Member

especially that the earlier version was only a tenner.
Yes, that's very cheeky. I'm not that desperate to get one so I'm happy to wait a few days to see where else it turns up. The likes of PC World should have it soon.
Old 24-11-2012, 09:47
LostFool
Forum Member

Update: The 32GB 3G is back in stock on the Google Play store.

I succumbed to temptation. The P&P is a pain but that's now my Christmas present to myself.