Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Tyrannosaur

Old 14-11-2012, 00:51
vosne
Forum Member

..what an incredible film.
vosne is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 14-11-2012, 09:45
Takae
Forum Member

I wish I hadn't seen the film. It was that good.
Takae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2012, 12:38
nightporter
Forum Member

Gritty, Unsettling, upsetting and amazing performances. What its all about, screw huge budgets and special effects and $20 million leading man who's the same in every film.
nightporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2012, 12:41
TOONARMY12
Forum Member

Meant to watch it last night. Is it as good as people say?. But I have heard there is an unpleasant scene involving a dog. Is it v bad?
TOONARMY12 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2012, 12:42
vosne
Forum Member

I wish I hadn't seen the film. It was that good.
Indeed. It's not often a film can genuinly upset me but this did. Big time. When Olivia Coleman falls apart I found it almost unwatchable.
Old 14-11-2012, 13:30
little-monster
Forum Member

Very good film. Olivia Coleman was robbed not only of a BAFTA nomination, but she deserved an oscar for her performance in this film. For someone who normally does comedy, she has made the leap to doing dramatic roles perfectly. One of the most haunting performances from an actress that left a chilling and last effect from me in years.
little-monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2012, 14:25
mb@2day
Forum Member

Meant to watch it last night. Is it as good as people say?. But I have heard there is an unpleasant scene involving a dog. Is it v bad?
I haven't read any reviews but I thought the film was dark, disturbing and hard to forget.

The dog scenes could be worse but judicious editing of the violence if not the results save it from being too upsetting.
mb@2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2012, 14:29
CJClarke
Forum Member

Watched it last night and was completely transfixed by it. Best British film in years, Olivia Colman and Peter Mullan were outstanding.
CJClarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2012, 16:42
Mandark
Forum Member

Been meaning to watch this. Not seen a good dinosaur movie for ages!!
Mandark is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2012, 16:53
PunksNotDead
Forum Member

Spoiler
PunksNotDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2012, 16:54
Martin Blank
Forum Member

It is as good as people say it is. And the directorial debut of Paddy Considine I do believe?

There's a time and a place for a Hollywood blockbuster, of course. You just can't beat a low budget, gritty english movie. Sometimes they really tell a story of the human condition.

People should also check out "A Room for Romeo Brass"...
Martin Blank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2012, 16:55
SHANK0055
Forum Member

Really great powerful movie.

Not sure I'd watch it again though
SHANK0055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2012, 17:20
Fear of Fours
Inactive Member

I missed it last night. I've had it on my rental list for a while now so will have to watch it soon.
Fear of Fours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2012, 17:27
shirlt9
Forum Member

I redorded this have wanted to see it for a while..I watched early this morning..I had read about the violence and had an idea of what to expect..deep,dark and haunting..

More than the dog scene, the scene with the little boy upset me..and Olivia Colemans admission.

Olivia Coleman was perfect casting..her voice just reels me in anyway..had seen Mullen in the Red Riding drama trilogy on channel 4 and enjoyed his performance in both..

Am not about to delete it yet..want to give it another viewing..was scared it wasnt going to live up to my expectations after waiting,.but it surpassed them...well done Paddy..
shirlt9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2012, 18:42
Johnbee
Forum Member

I stopped watching after a while because I decided that it would probably end with him killing her and I don't like nasty stuff. But it seems I was probably wrong.
Johnbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2012, 20:22
lil lexie
Forum Member

it's a great film, utterly depressing but extremely honest and touching.
lil lexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2012, 20:54
SarahMarie
Forum Member

Absolutely epic film. As someone says above - it's when Olivia Coleman has the breakdown that it really hits those new levels. I literally sobbed at the end of this film. Absolutely magnificant.
SarahMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2012, 21:48
finkly
Forum Member

I didn't like it at all - it's so relentlessly bleak and grim to the point of ridiculousness. The acting is good but it wasn't for me.
finkly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2012, 21:14
spoty
Forum Member

I didn't like it at all - it's so relentlessly bleak and grim to the point of ridiculousness. The acting is good but it wasn't for me.
I know what you mean, but for some reason the way the story was told I had [wanted] to keep on watching.
How can something so simple come across so interesting?

I tape lots of film 4 stuff and sometimes FF through them, this one made me enjoy a film right to the end.
spoty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2012, 04:09
shirlt9
Forum Member

I know what you mean, but for some reason the way the story was told I had [wanted] to keep on watching.
How can something so simple come across so interesting?

I tape lots of film 4 stuff and sometimes FF through them, this one made me enjoy a film right to the end.
I am the same..I record lots of film 4 films especially if they sound a bit odd..there was a blackand white film a few months ago.l.with an elderly couple ,brother and sister who knocked a young man off his bike and the whole film was about them taking him back to their house in the middle of nowhere..she dressed him in her dead brothers clothes and tried to sabotage her brother burying the young man..the woman was the only person to talk through the whole fim..cant remember the name of it but for some reason I sat riveted for the whole film..my husband walked in and said the usual "what the hell are you watching"..he doesnt share my taste in films at all..I recorded Rita,Sue and Bob too last night..am just about to get my ironing board out and watch it whilst I am ironing..havent watched this film for ages and itsa bit of nostalgia..at mid 40s it takes me back to school days..will show it my 16 and 18 year old later as I think it is probably up their street now.
Old 16-11-2012, 04:41
JCR
Forum Member

Speaking from the position of being a scottish alcoholic, I thought Mullan's performance was note perfect.

I didn't think it was too bleak, it is what it is.
JCR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2012, 13:38
afx237vi
Forum Member

FWIW, I agree with you. I found it all a little unfocused, and while I understand what Considine was getting at, there was something about it that didn't quite work for me. I think it would have been better if it had focused on Mullan's character OR Colman's character. Having them both in the same film was too much misery for 90 minutes, and left both characters a bit under-developed.

For instance, what happened to Colman's faith? Her character is introduced as a devout Christian, yet after her first scene it's barely mentioned again! There are other little things that bugged me, too.

Anyway, I'm glad I watched it, and I'll look forward to watching Considine's future films, but I found this a little underwhelming compared to the praise it got.
afx237vi is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2012, 16:14
shirlt9
Forum Member

FWIW, I agree with you. I found it all a little unfocused, and while I understand what Considine was getting at, there was something about it that didn't quite work for me. I think it would have been better if it had focused on Mullan's character OR Colman's character. Having them both in the same film was too much misery for 90 minutes, and left both characters a bit under-developed.

For instance, what happened to Colman's faith? Her character is introduced as a devout Christian, yet after her first scene it's barely mentioned again! There are other little things that bugged me, too.

Anyway, I'm glad I watched it, and I'll look forward to watching Considine's future films, but I found this a little underwhelming compared to the praise it got.
I thought the two characters stories were essential..Mullan was painted as violent and hints were given that he was violent towards his wife..which given that he was trying to rescue Olivia Colemans characterfrom domestiv violence and abuse was keyto the story..alsoOlivias faith was shown at the beginning then when her husband left the charity shop threatening what was coming later shethrew something at the photo of Jesus and said what are you looking at..then went out drinking to avoid going home..I think this showed her questioning her faith and wondering why when she showed such faith did she still suffer..she had sat with her husbands head on her lap repeating over and over that she forgave him..maybe her faith gave her the strength to outwardly forgive him and deal with her pain..although itsounded more like a mantra than actually meant when she was forgiving him..thats my take anyway.
Old 17-11-2012, 19:33
suesuesue
Forum Member

Gritty, Unsettling, upsetting and amazing performances. What its all about, screw huge budgets and special effects and $20 million leading man who's the same in every film.
Too true. Some of the best films I've seen have been low budget/high quality. Warp who were involved in the making of this have just celebrated their 10th birthday. Here's to the next 10!

Very good film. Olivia Coleman was robbed not only of a BAFTA nomination, but she deserved an oscar for her performance in this film. For someone who normally does comedy, she has made the leap to doing dramatic roles perfectly. One of the most haunting performances from an actress that left a chilling and last effect from me in years.
She was also excellent in BBCs The Accused. As you say, she's known for her comedy work but boy can she do tragedy.
It is as good as people say it is. And the directorial debut of Paddy Considine I do believe?

There's a time and a place for a Hollywood blockbuster, of course. You just can't beat a low budget, gritty english movie. Sometimes they really tell a story of the human condition.

People should also check out "A Room for Romeo Brass"...
IMO Paddy Considine is one of the best British actors around and I hope he directs more films. I'll add Dead Man's Shoes along with Romeo Brass. Both Shane Meadows' films showing Paddy at his sociopathic best!
suesuesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2012, 02:06
vosne
Forum Member

Dead Man's Shoes is a piece of work, that's for sure.