Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

WHITNEY HOUSTON & MARIAH CAREY, which one is the best singer in the recorded history?

Old 15-11-2012, 19:42
flyonthetable
Forum Member

http://blingingbeauty.com/wp-content...93-Grammys.jpg

http://www.heroesofmariah.com/nrjawa...003ananova.jpg
flyonthetable is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 15-11-2012, 20:00
PythonFang
Forum Member

I actually prefer Celine .
PythonFang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2012, 20:06
Hit Em Up Style
Inactive Member

If we are just talking Mariah and Whitney then its Whitney. Whitney at her vocal peak I don't think anyone could touch.
Hit Em Up Style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2012, 20:07
d56
Forum Member

Singer - Whitney

Artist - Mariah
d56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2012, 18:21
sweetm1995
Forum Member

Singer - Whitney

Artist - Mariah
Agreed
sweetm1995 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2012, 19:28
ItsRyanYall
Forum Member

Whitney.
ItsRyanYall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2012, 19:43
ajman
Forum Member

Of the two it is undoubtedly Whitney. Mariah can sing but her voice is utterly soulless. Personally I much prefer Karen Carpenter and Dusty Springfield to either of those.
ajman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2012, 21:13
sjp07
Forum Member

Oscars '99 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7qX3eQVnQ0

Here is your answer. Clearly Mariah's face at 2:33 shows she knows the answer too.

Mariah is a better artist, but Whitney was the VOICE.
sjp07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2012, 21:18
scrilla
Forum Member

Neither is "the best singer in the recorded history"
scrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2012, 21:36
O.Michel
Forum Member

Mariah has had some amazing vocal moments in her career, but Whitney wins by a landslide. It's not just about the high notes. It's the tone, the style, the perfect pitch, everything!
O.Michel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2012, 21:41
Hit Em Up Style
Inactive Member

Out of pure vocal range who was/is better than Whitney tho?? she could hold a note for over 90 seconds when at her very best!! You would be hard pushed to find another vocalist with the power of Whitney. I could only list a couple but even then they don't come close.

Whitney was genuinely a one off.

Agree with Michael above. I would also say Whitney was not only the better singer but the better artist. Mariah might have had great moments but its about more than that. Yes Whitney's latter half of her career didn't match her first half but then neither has Mariah's...
Hit Em Up Style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2012, 22:02
Lewnaticc
Forum Member

Out of pure vocal range who was/is better than Whitney tho?? she could hold a note for over 90 seconds when at her very best!! You would be hard pushed to find another vocalist with the power of Whitney. I could only list a couple but even then they don't come close.
Not to nitpick, I love Whitney, but please do not exagerate her vocal ability. I highly doubt she could sustain a note for 90 seconds. Singing takes up a lot of breath.
But what is her longest recorded note? I know Mariah's is something like...21 seconds in 'Lead the Way', followed by the partially shorter ones like a 16 second C5 in 'We Belong Together'.

Agree with Michael above. I would also say Whitney was not only the better singer but the better artist. Mariah might have had great moments but its about more than that. Yes Whitney's latter half of her career didn't match her first half but then neither has Mariah's...
I'm pretty sure the word artist is towards actual artistry. Mariah is definitely the better artist - she writes, produces, sings, records, and performs all of her own material. I think a specific quote from her early career was something like "stick me with whatever songwriter you want, but don't put me in front of a microphone and have me sing someone else's song."

Mariah has had some amazing vocal moments in her career, but Whitney wins by a landslide. It's not just about the high notes. It's the tone, the style, the perfect pitch, everything!
A contradiction here. Mariah has perfect pitch, and I mean perfect. The most perfect that a pitch has ever been. Why do you think she can sing in the whistle register in any note she chooses to at any given time?
Lewnaticc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2012, 23:14
sjp07
Forum Member

But Mariah has recorded someone else's song. When You Believe is not hers and neither is I'll Be There.
Old 16-11-2012, 23:15
RickWhite
Inactive Member

Mariah at her peak (music box and daydream) was divine!
I think she has list we voice somewhat recently but so did Whitney
RickWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2012, 23:36
Imperfect Angel
Forum Member

Mariah

This is the greatest vocal performance I've ever heard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65pzEJqTir0

Blows me away everytime.
Imperfect Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2012, 23:48
Hav_mor91
Forum Member

Now i'm a fan of the big power vocalist sans Mariah etc but for me thay never will be the greatest recording artist singing isn't belting out a tune or hitting a note only dogs can hear But for me.

Mariah has the package great voice and a leverl of srtistry that is rare among singers like her to write and sing her own material is unheard of and at her peak 1990-98 she truly created some great music and truly wonderful albums. But vocally I would say Celine and Whitney beat her hands down they have power behind their voices and control and perfection unheard of two wonderful powerhouse vocalists. Mariah was always more sultry and restrained with a velvet tone and pitch perfection.
Hav_mor91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2012, 00:20
kyresa
Forum Member

she could hold a note for over 90 seconds when at her very best!! You would be hard pushed to find another vocalist with the power of Whitney. I could only list a couple but even then they don't come close.

Whitney was genuinely a one off.

Streisand belted out a 19second note on her song "a piece of sky". listen to that and you'll see just how long 19secs is! 90secs is nigh on impossible at full belt
kyresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2012, 00:22
kyresa
Forum Member

oh, and I loved the bodyguard era songs of Whitney...

I used to love Mariah, but I hate this whisper singing she always does now. Her "normal" voice is far better than that.

I'd probably have to go with Singer Whitney, Artist Mariah too.
kyresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2012, 08:35
sjp07
Forum Member

Quick question. Why does everybody always forget about Patti Labelle? It's always Whitney or Mariah when it should be Whitney or Patti? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0hYxuDav0g Who knew the alphabet could be so fantastic?
Old 17-11-2012, 09:27
Savyannah
Inactive Member

Clearly Whitney by a landslide, mariah just whails on a note
Savyannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2012, 10:13
jamesmcauley01
Forum Member

Whitney. Followed by Celine, then Mariah
jamesmcauley01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2012, 10:16
Blondie X
Forum Member

Out of those two, Whitney had more soul and a nicer tone to her voice.

However, both of them bore the backside off of me. I can only name 2 or 3 Whitney songs that were not dull and tedious (imo) and can't name a single Mariah song that does anything for me at all.
Blondie X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2012, 14:55
SweetHeartHolly
Forum Member

I second this. No other female in music history has more Grammy awards than my most favorite.

God bless you and Alison Krauss always!!!

Holly (a fan of her since 1994)
SweetHeartHolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2012, 01:59
tediouslyrandom
Inactive Member

I love the warming tone Whitney delivers, so she wins between these two divas. But that does not mean either have possessed the 'best' singer award, personal preferences, like the post above means that no one person is the 'best'.

Like others have said, Karen Carpenter and Dusty Springfield are wonderful singers as well.
tediouslyrandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2012, 03:28
tediouslyrandom
Inactive Member

Whitney live 1994, perfect:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YN2Mp...eature=related
tediouslyrandom is offline   Reply With Quote