Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

This years "Arthur Christmas"?

Old 15-11-2012, 21:13
Iain Chapman
Forum Member

Hi All,

Normally take the kids to see a film on Christmas Eve. Just wondering what this years "Arthur Christmas" is?.

I've been looking at the listings for the coming weeks, but can't spot anything of this type of film in the coming weeks?.

Anyone know of anything that I should be looking out for?.

Thanks

Iain
Iain Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 15-11-2012, 21:18
Cactus1987
Forum Member

When I was walking to work the other day I saw a bus stop advert for this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rise_of_the_Guardians

Maybe that is the sort of thing you are looking for
Cactus1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2012, 21:42
theonlyweeman
Forum Member

I think the OP is after a christmas kids film (I don't think there are any)
theonlyweeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2012, 21:49
Cactus1987
Forum Member

I gathered that, on the idea of Arthur Christmas, or The Polar Express, but I do think there is a lack of them, which is why I offered a suggestion featuring Santa
Cactus1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2012, 13:21
MeMeMe01
Forum Member

Think the only Christmas film this year is Nativity 2
MeMeMe01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2012, 13:28
gizzy77
Forum Member

The Muppet Christmas Carol is being re-released in selected cinemas - well worth hunting it out for the litte-uns.
gizzy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2012, 14:14
SillyBillyGoat
Forum Member

I think the OP is after a christmas kids film (I don't think there are any)
Going purely off the synopsis, Rise of the Guardians does seem like it could be Christmassy. Or, wintry at least.

Not sure when the UK release is, however.
SillyBillyGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2012, 15:40
theonlyweeman
Forum Member

Going purely off the synopsis, Rise of the Guardians does seem like it could be Christmassy. Or, wintry at least.

Not sure when the UK release is, however.
I think the OP wanted a straight up christmas film rather than an Alec Baldwin voiced Father Christmas (amazing casting choice) joining up with the Tooth Fairy
theonlyweeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2012, 15:50
revans9
Forum Member

there's a 3D tinkerbell film coming out mid-december. not particularly christmassy though

http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt1217213/
revans9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2012, 15:56
rumpleteazer
Forum Member

The Muppet Christmas Carol is being re-released in selected cinemas - well worth hunting it out for the litte-uns.
Really? I hope it's coming to Milton Keynes
rumpleteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2012, 17:13
Iain Chapman
Forum Member

Hi - thanks for all your replies.

Ask the same question of my local cinema chain on Facebook. They've suggested that there really isn't (as some of you have also implied) anything like "Athur Christmas" this year - suggesting that no distributor is confident enough to go up against the Hobbit .

Like others in this thread, there suggestions were: Nativity 2, Rise of the Guardians and Tinkerbell & The Secret of the Wings.

From looking at the synopsis, Rise of the Guardians looks like it is the nearest option.

Thanks

Iain
Iain Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2012, 23:05
grimtales1
Forum Member

Rise of the Guardians does look quite good I didnt know Santa was voiced by Alec Baldwin But why does he sound Russian?
grimtales1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2012, 02:18
Amanda_Raymond
Forum Member

Very Much looking forward to Rise Of The Guardians, believe that's Nov 30th.
Amanda_Raymond is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2012, 23:19
MeMeMe01
Forum Member

How Christmassy is Rise of the Guardians? My family also go to see a Christmas film on Christmas Eve and are choosing between ROTG and Nativty 2. Is ROTG a Christmas film or just a film with Santa as a character?
Old 19-11-2012, 00:17
Billy_Value
Forum Member

silent night is out in december
Billy_Value is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2012, 09:14
Babycakes15
Forum Member

Can't wait to see Nativity 2!
Babycakes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 07:10
Takae
Forum Member

How Christmassy is Rise of the Guardians? My family also go to see a Christmas film on Christmas Eve and are choosing between ROTG and Nativty 2. Is ROTG a Christmas film or just a film with Santa as a character?
My 17-year-old cousin, a devout worshipper of animated films, saw ROTG last night. He's branded it "taro" (nothing special, as in 'meh'. Taro is a plain and common male name, like John, e.g. corpses with no ID are routinely named Taro Yamada (one time, the most common names in Japan), which is I guess Japan's version of John Smith or John Doe. Pronounces 'tah-roh'. It's also a type of potato, easily found in home-made rustic dishes. You get the idea.).

That may be because he doesn't like sappy or preachy films as he has stated that what put him off is the amount of preaching on the importance of protecting children's innocence and beliefs in fairy tales. It felt an overkill at times. Apart from this, ROTG was "okay fun."

He says it's "kinda Japanese influenced". The boy character looks like a Final Fantasy character and some parts of the scenery resemble the Final Fantasy series. Almost all characters are likeable, even though most don't look that friendly. Santa Claus in this film is nicknamed 'North' and he's pretty much like a Russian gangster who's skilled in swordplay. The Easter Bunny is Aussie and snarky. He likes The Sandman best, even though it doesn't have any speaking lines.

He also says it's more a wintery fairy tale (almost a "straight up adventure film with European fairy tale characters") than a Christmas film, but has just enough to lend a slight Christmas feel. It's also "totally family friendly" and that families with no high expectations would enjoy it.
Takae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 07:19
MeMeMe01
Forum Member

My 17-year-old cousin, a devout worshipper of animated films, saw ROTG last night. He's branded it "taro" (nothing special, as in 'meh'. Taro is a plain and common male name, like John, e.g. corpses with no ID are routinely named Taro Yamada (one time, the most common names in Japan), which is I guess Japan's version of John Smith or John Doe. Pronounces 'tah-roh'. It's also a type of potato, easily found in home-made rustic dishes. You get the idea.).

That may be because he doesn't like sappy or preachy films as he has stated that what put him off is the amount of preaching on the importance of protecting children's innocence and beliefs in fairy tales. It felt an overkill at times. Apart from this, ROTG was "okay fun."

He says it's "kinda Japanese influenced". The boy character looks like a Final Fantasy character and some parts of the scenery resemble the Final Fantasy series. Almost all characters are likeable, even though most don't look that friendly. Santa Claus in this film is nicknamed 'North' and he's pretty much like a Russian gangster who's skilled in swordplay. The Easter Bunny is Aussie and snarky. He likes The Sandman best, even though it doesn't have any speaking lines.

He also says it's more a wintery fairy tale (almost a "straight up adventure film with European fairy tale characters") than a Christmas film, but has just enough to lend a slight Christmas feel. It's also "totally family friendly" and that families with no high expectations would enjoy it.
Thanks ever so much. Really appreciate you taking the time to write that.