Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

CD player problem

Old 16-11-2012, 21:29
AlanO
Forum Member

Hoping someone can give me a bit of help / advice.

I've got a Panasonic RX-D26 CD Radio unit - which my children have been using.

It is generally OK, except little fingers have played with the CD player assembly which has caused a small problem which I'm sure is fixable.

The CD's 'mount' on a plastic 'disc' which is on a spindle - the act of putting the CD on seems to push the mount down the spindle - which seems to prevent the laser from reading the disk - disk too close to laser?

You can lift the plastic mount off it's metal spindle and refit it a bit higher up, but that only holds for so long before it has been pushed too far down again.

Question - for somebody who might know - should there be some form of 'spacer' or washer below the plastic 'mount' to prevent it from being pushed too far down.

I know I could just chuck the unit, but it's in good condition otherwise and works really well.
AlanO is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 16-11-2012, 22:31
stylo
Forum Member

Hoping someone can give me a bit of help / advice.

I've got a Panasonic RX-D26 CD Radio unit - which my children have been using.

It is generally OK, except little fingers have played with the CD player assembly which has caused a small problem which I'm sure is fixable.

The CD's 'mount' on a plastic 'disc' which is on a spindle - the act of putting the CD on seems to push the mount down the spindle - which seems to prevent the laser from reading the disk - disk too close to laser?

You can lift the plastic mount off it's metal spindle and refit it a bit higher up, but that only holds for so long before it has been pushed too far down again.

Question - for somebody who might know - should there be some form of 'spacer' or washer below the plastic 'mount' to prevent it from being pushed too far down.

I know I could just chuck the unit, but it's in good condition otherwise and works really well.
Don't know about a spacer, but just looked at our RX-D29 (looks the same to me!), and the spindle is sunk about 2.5mm lower than the top surface of the plastic mount.

If you can get that height position correct, a tiny spot of glue may do the trick?
stylo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2012, 23:39
AlanO
Forum Member

Don't know about a spacer, but just looked at our RX-D29 (looks the same to me!), and the spindle is sunk about 2.5mm lower than the top surface of the plastic mount.

If you can get that height position correct, a tiny spot of glue may do the trick?
Thanks for this - will have a look.

The 'gap' is the reason why I wondered if there was some kind of spacer or washer below the plastic mount - because sometimes the pressure of mounting a CD is enough to force the plastic mount downward.
AlanO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2012, 01:25
stylo
Forum Member

Thanks for this - will have a look.

The 'gap' is the reason why I wondered if there was some kind of spacer or washer below the plastic mount - because sometimes the pressure of mounting a CD is enough to force the plastic mount downward.
Could be wrong, but I don't think a spacer or washer would have been there originally. Usually these things are just pressure-fitted onto the spindle at the right height / position.

A spacer of some sort could do the trick as long as there's still enough tightness on the mount for the spindle to spin it without slipping. There could be a hairline crack on the plastic shaft?. Certainly worth a go at repairing it anyway.

Just a hint... If you use any 'superglue' on this, I would cover the laser lens to prevent any fumes from fogging it while the glue dries off.
stylo is offline   Reply With Quote