Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Are the Sontarons a joke now?

Old 17-11-2012, 12:45
OhWhenTheSaints
Forum Member

With Strax seen as a comedy character are the Sontarons laughed at now rather than feared? Also have they become good guys now??

Same question for the Silurians.
OhWhenTheSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 17-11-2012, 12:51
solenoid
Forum Member

For CiN or RND sketches there is usually an element of comedy involved.
solenoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2012, 12:54
OhWhenTheSaints
Forum Member

For CiN or RND sketches there is usually an element of comedy involved.
But the Sontarons have been a joke for a while. All that stuff about Strax being a nurse in A Good Man Goes to war.

Have they and the Silurians become good guys?
OhWhenTheSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2012, 12:57
davrosdodebird
Forum Member

The Silurians are always kind of good guys, so I don't see their reputation as being spoiled. However, the Sontarans being used for comic relief in series and out does tarnish their reputation, and IMO the more they are used as such, the more spectacular a story they need to restore the fear factor.
davrosdodebird is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2012, 12:59
CD93
Forum Member

One Sontaran, One Silurian.

Are the Daleks a joke because one of them believed they were making souffles all day long? I'll probably be flamed for it at some point, but I praise Moffat for doing something different with the races in this Universe. I don't see why every member of a species has to have the same attitude and goals in life - clones or otherwise.

The Daleks and Silurians have had their restoration. The Cybermen are getting theirs later this series. Hold off until we actually have a Sontaran story, before anyone should claim they have been ruined.

Although..

Spoiler
CD93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2012, 13:03
bbll22
Forum Member

But the Sontarons have been a joke for a while. All that stuff about Strax being a nurse in A Good Man Goes to war.

Have they and the Silurians become good guys?
So one Sontaran, who is a nurse, not by choice but being imposed on by his race, now makes the whole Sontaran species a joke Strax is one Sontaran; he's not the template of how they all are now. I think its good to change them about a bit anyway. They're not that menacing a race really are they? This is a nice change for them all.

It's same with Vastra and the Silurians. She's a one-off for them. She does good because of how the Doctor has affected her. The Silurians as a whole aren't like that.

One supposedly jokey character for either race hasn't made the Silurians and Sontarans a joke. That's just nonsense to me. The two races are fine.
bbll22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2012, 13:08
Abomination
Forum Member

They were always pretty laughable to some extent...I mean, Spuds in Spacesuits... c'mon

But given they've only had one proper story in Nu-Who, and then the second was subsidised into SJA, there is clearly less of a place for them.

Interesting though it is to see one-off characters that are a little broken away from the trends of their societies (Vastra and Strax), I struggle to care for them much as we already know the fate of one of them and they don't have the lasting impact of...say, Jackie Tyler If they are to be used as a sort of continuity for Clara it will be a very interesting new direction, but as one-off characters go, they do just reinforce the comedy aspect of their species.
Abomination is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2012, 13:29
sovietusername
Inactive Member

I was never particularly bothered about the Sonatarans anway, always a bit rubbish, I thought
sovietusername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2012, 13:29
sovietusername
Inactive Member

I was never particularly bothered about the Sonatarans anway, always a bit rubbish, I thought
Sorry
sovietusername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2012, 13:53
Old Man 43
Forum Member

They were always pretty laughable to some extent...I mean, Spuds in Spacesuits... c'mon

But given they've only had one proper story in Nu-Who, and then the second was subsidised into SJA, there is clearly less of a place for them.

Interesting though it is to see one-off characters that are a little broken away from the trends of their societies (Vastra and Strax), I struggle to care for them much as we already know the fate of one of them and they don't have the lasting impact of...say, Jackie Tyler If they are to be used as a sort of continuity for Clara it will be a very interesting new direction, but as one-off characters go, they do just reinforce the comedy aspect of their species.
What do you mean that we know the fate of one of them?
Old Man 43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2012, 13:53
solenoid
Forum Member

Being a nurse of either gender or species is something to be admired, not sniffed at.
solenoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2012, 14:19
dorkjacksn
Forum Member

I assumed the poster is referrring to Strax's 'death' in AGMGTW. Though I dont think we've had any confirmation as of yet that the 7B episodes he appears in are set pre-Demon's Run, why would he be in Victorian London anyway if not hitching a ride back with Vastra?

Or they'll be some cloney-woney explanation for why he isnt dead. Either way
dorkjacksn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2012, 14:25
Corwin
Forum Member

I assumed the poster is referrring to Strax's 'death' in AGMGTW. Though I dont think we've had any confirmation as of yet that the 7B episodes he appears in are set pre-Demon's Run, why would he be in Victorian London anyway if not hitching a ride back with Vastra?

Or they'll be some cloney-woney explanation for why he isnt dead. Either way
Given that Jenny knows about the Doctor which she didn't seem to when first introduced in AGMGTW it does seem like this episode is set after.

So yeah most likely explanation is that Strax survived Demons Run and went back to Victorian times with V & J.
Corwin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2012, 14:25
Shawn_Lunn
Forum Member

A bit yeah.

I can handle Strax being an ally but we need a Sontaran story soon that reminds us that they're actually the Doctor's enemies too.
Shawn_Lunn is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2012, 14:28
CountofDown
Forum Member

Re Strax it could be that he was seriously wounded but didn't die.

Strax and Vastra are individuals which makes a change as aliens etc often lack individuality.
CountofDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2012, 14:58
ryanr554
Forum Member

I don't think the sonatarans on a whole are being used as a joke. You have got to remember thet they are not like Daleks or Cybermen as they can feel all emotions rather than just hate. A Sontaran can actually be a good character, not all of them have to be war crazy.
ryanr554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2012, 15:53
Sara_Peplow
Forum Member

Looking forward to seeing them again. Wonder if they will mention Amy and Rory ?.
Plus how did they find out he is still alive?. First he was "dead" and now he has erased himself from history. Noone knows who he is or was. Unless they have really good memories.
Answers on a post card please Moffat!.
Sara_Peplow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2012, 15:54
nattoyaki
Forum Member

I think so, personally.
nattoyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2012, 16:15
Abomination
Forum Member

We know how Strax meets his maker. Timey-wimey can be a good plot device, but as with River Song it does remove the mystery and anticipation as to where the character will end up.
Abomination is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2012, 17:31
Corwin
Forum Member

Looking forward to seeing them again. Wonder if they will mention Amy and Rory ?.
Plus how did they find out he is still alive?. First he was "dead" and now he has erased himself from history. Noone knows who he is or was. Unless they have really good memories.
Answers on a post card please Moffat!.
The Doctor has not gone around the whole of Time and Space and wiped everyones memories.

People who have met him will still remember meeting him.
Corwin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2012, 17:37
Benjamin Sisko
Forum Member

I think the Sontarans have been a joke since the Colin Baker days personally... even TSS/TPS (Series 4) was tricky to take too seriously.
Benjamin Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2012, 17:43
Sharon87
Forum Member

The Doctor has not gone around the whole of Time and Space and wiped everyones memories.

People who have met him will still remember meeting him.
Correct in my view anyway. He's erased himself from records, but he can't make everyone he's met forget him now, that'll take him ages! He wouldn't want to erase his friends or allies memories anyway!
Sharon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2012, 18:19
TRT1968
Forum Member

Although..

Spoiler
I thought that the Sontarans had a bit of a chip on their shoulder...

Spoiler
TRT1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2012, 08:27
nebogipfel
Forum Member

I don't think the sonatarans on a whole are being used as a joke. You have got to remember thet they are not like Daleks or Cybermen as they can feel all emotions rather than just hate. A Sontaran can actually be a good character, not all of them have to be war crazy.
I must admit I'm not terribly familiar with all the stories of Sontarans showing a wide range of emotions. They mostly seem to prepare for war and then go to war.

The humour of Strax isn't that he thinks he is,being funny. It's that what he says is funny. His paranoia making him see enemies where there are none. Like Caligula declaring war on the ocean.
nebogipfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2012, 09:34
bennythedip
Forum Member

the sontarans have never been that great an enemy.imo they served their purpose in the time warrior and the sontaran experiment.all you have to do is bash them on the back of the neck to incapacitate them.moffat has done to the sontarans what they did on star trek deep space nine turning the ferrengi into comic characters.
bennythedip is offline   Reply With Quote