Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Zombi U not scoring highly

Old 18-11-2012, 21:04
gamercraig
Inactive Member

Just been reading both IGN and Gamespot's review of Zombi U and they're not good

This was one game that was making me think about getting a Wii U but think I am going to hold off now for a while and see how things pan out.

I appreciate it's not about one game, but this was meant to be a key title
gamercraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 18-11-2012, 21:08
redlight79
Forum Member

I was hoping it wouldn't come to this. This is a major echo of when the Wii launched back in 2006, as Red Steel was a highly anticipated third party game, and was the highest ever pre-ordered (at the time) third party game for the Wii, but then it had mixed reviews from publishers and recieved poor reception from fans.
redlight79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2012, 21:16
Davonator
Forum Member

Eurogamer gave it a 9!!!. But everyone seems to be suggesting its mediocre.
Davonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2012, 21:48
gamercraig
Inactive Member

Official Nintendo Magazine scored high too but I am not sure how impartial they are.
gamercraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2012, 21:58
kendoguk
Forum Member

Frankly it looks a bit naff
kendoguk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2012, 22:17
TheSilentFez
Forum Member

Meh, I'm not interested. It's just Nintendo's attempt to appeal to older gamers.
I'll get a Wii U, but I'll wait for some games like Mario Kart or a Mario Galaxy sequel to buy a game.
TheSilentFez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2012, 22:56
wiseguy100
Forum Member

a HD Mario Kart is the game that would convince me to part with cash on a WiiU. Most of the launch games are ports and the few that are exclusive, are getting mediocre reviews.
wiseguy100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2012, 00:38
0lly
Forum Member

Destructoid gave it an 8/10, and EDGE gave it a 7. I guess you'll have to play it yourself to decide.
0lly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2012, 08:01
gdjman68wasdigi
Forum Member

Destructoid gave it an 8/10, and EDGE gave it a 7. I guess you'll have to play it yourself to decide.
7 from edge is respectable
gdjman68wasdigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2012, 12:11
grimtales1
Forum Member

From the previews/videos I saw it seemed more about the atmosphere and not really an action/arcadey type game.
grimtales1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2012, 12:16
Rich_L
Forum Member

A 7 from most places is respectable enough unless they are scoring it out of 100!!

It's about time review scores were got rid of I think and put enough information into the review for the reader to make up their mind.

I dont think it was ever going to get a 10 in Edge.

You want to avoid the magazines that claim the 'exclusive' review and then give it a nine or high 90's for their scores.
Rich_L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2012, 15:32
one2escape
Forum Member

if you read the gamespot review they totally missed the point. They thought it was going to be left for dead or CoD Zombies when its more survival horror.
one2escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2012, 15:40
2Dshmuplover
Forum Member

Dead Island also received mixed opinions but for those into the genre it was a great game. What do GameSpot know anyway! They gave Skyward Sword a 7.5 and IGN are no better with their 5.0 Hydro Thunder Hurricane review. I don't trust Edge either, take it all with a pinch of salt.
2Dshmuplover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2012, 16:38
Serebii
Forum Member

if you read the gamespot review they totally missed the point. They thought it was going to be left for dead or CoD Zombies when its more survival horror.
That's the problem exactly. That's the thing I get from people who have reviewed it.

Also, for IGN, they got the IGN Playstation editor, who has been known to trash Nintendo on multiple occasions, to review it.
Serebii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2012, 17:21
Callous
Forum Member

Most US reviewers seems to dislike it ....most UK/European ones seem to love it.

Could be a regional thing?

I certainly respect Eurogamer reviews far more than IGN or Gamespot that's for sure.
Callous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2012, 17:26
thomas2400
Forum Member

Dead Island also received mixed opinions but for those into the genre it was a great game. What do GameSpot know anyway! They gave Skyward Sword a 7.5 and IGN are no better with their 5.0 Hydro Thunder Hurricane review. I don't trust Edge either, take it all with a pinch of salt.
I know that high
thomas2400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2012, 19:07
barracuda91
Forum Member

I think it has an average of around 7.3/10 so it's not that bad really. I think it's just one of those games you'll either love or hate.
barracuda91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2012, 19:13
grimtales1
Forum Member

I havent played Left 4 Dead but heard it was heavy on creepy atmosphere
grimtales1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2012, 19:23
The Terminator
Inactive Member

Quite generous.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2012, 21:10
redlight79
Forum Member

I agree with Gamespot on that score. Just because it's 'Zelda' doesn't mean it get's a pass and an automatic 10/10. I am a massive Zelda fan, but to me it's not a series highlight. But that's the good thing of the internet and forums like these, so people can debate and express opinions.

I haven't played Zombi U yet, so I can't comment on the score. By the looks of things though, people from Europe compare to the States appreciated it more, so I might give it a go, inspite of what the US reviewers have said.
redlight79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 00:11
0lly
Forum Member

Joystiq have given it an 9/10 and Giantbomb have given it an 8/10.
0lly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 16:47
Scrubber
Forum Member

This is the only game i'm getting with it at launch. Hope it doesn't disappoint.

I need to try and forget HOW MUCH the Wii and it's direction disappointed me as it puts me off.
Scrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 17:37
plastik2k9
Forum Member

Gamespot reviewed it as though it's an action horror it seems. Seems to be getting 7 and above generally, so it seems pretty decent.
plastik2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 19:02
geordielady
Forum Member

The official nintendo magazine that came out today gave it a good score but as its an official mag then guess the ratings dont really count.
geordielady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 19:50
MD1500
Forum Member

Survival horror has always been a love it or hate it genre. I thought this was a good article:

Several reviews of ZombiU fault the game for its clunky, lumbering combat. My response is this: Why should a zombie apocalypse be fun? Your avatar doesnít have military training and is utterly clueless about the chaotic world around them. Their accuracy with firearms gradually increases throughout the game, but fumbling with a pistol while being forced to execute your former self to reclaim your precious inventory (players who are bitten turn into one of the infected, and retain all the items they died with) seems par for the course.

Another complaint leveled at Ubisoft seems to be the gameís scarcity of ammo and its reliance on a cricket bat as weapon of choice. The lack of ammunition isnít sloppy game design, itís purposeful game design.

Giving the player buckets of ammo detracts from the importance of survival, and negates the satisfaction gained from achieving said survival. And the crack of a firearm in an eerily silent alley isnít exactly zombie repellant. Using a flare to distract a group of walkers away from you is a more viable strategy than diving in guns blazing.

Yes, youíll be bludgeoning hundreds of zombies with a cricket bat, and it will take anywhere from 3 to 7 hits to finally put them down. This isnít the weapons buffet youíll be treated to in games like Black Ops 2; this is ďreality.Ē Itís repetitive, itís visceral, and itís necessary. Combat is the hallmark of a first person shooter like Call of Duty, not a survival horror game like ZombiU.

The question I hear you asking is: ďSo what is fun about this game? Why should I play it?Ē The answer is in the Wii Uís GamePad ó for all intents and purposes your survival kit. At times youíll use it (with the risk of attracting zombies with light) to scan the environment for items of interest. Tension mounts as you fumble through your virtual backpack for the right item. In other instances youíll hack electronic doors in real-time with zombie hordes fast approaching at your back. Inventory management, sniping, weapons crafting, and radar round out its many uses.

To put it another way, the enjoyment comes via the challenges presented to the player. How you choose to tackle them, and the inherent satisfaction that comes with successfully surviving, is ZombiUís crowning achievement. Hours into the game, I still feel chills shoot down my spine at every zombie encounter because my survival is anything but guaranteed.

Ubisoft has aimed ZombiU squarely at core gamers, and especially at fans of old-school survival horror. Donít pick up this Wii U launch title if youíre expecting a snappy shooter along the lines of Left 4 Dead, and donít trust reviews with that expectation either.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasoneva...misunderstood/
MD1500 is offline   Reply With Quote