Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Hollyoaks- Can Bryan Kirkwood bring back that magic

Old 20-11-2012, 08:05
matthew13
Forum Member

Now that BK is back at the helm of Hollyoaks do you think and are confident that Bryan is able to re-capture the magic of his previous era which was regarded by fans as the golden era of Hollyoaks or was that just a fluke?
matthew13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 20-11-2012, 08:09
hello.member
Forum Member

God i'd love it to go back to the '06 days
hello.member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 09:32
andreas_eastend
Forum Member

I honestly think he will. The few years away from HO could've been exactly what he needed to come back
andreas_eastend is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 09:37
ThaGazBoi
Forum Member

One can only hope.

And if he was the one who decided to get rid of Maddie, the man deserves a BAFTA or Knighthood or something.
ThaGazBoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 09:56
JayPee86
Inactive Member

I hope so.
BUT it did go all horribly wrong towards the end of his era.
I just hope he does t pair up johnpaul with ste or Doug. Ugh !!!!
JayPee86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 10:07
Cazza87
Forum Member

I have a lot of faith in BK hope he does not let us down
Cazza87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 10:18
lordo350
Forum Member

It is really nice to see such praise going his way for his work on Hollyoaks, after all the criticism that went his way for EE on here, myself being just as much a culprit as anyone.
lordo350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 10:22
dazza89
Forum Member

I hope so, he knows Hollyoaks alot better than he did EE and the early signs of what we are seeing on screen at the moment it does look promising. I do wonder tho why no replacement for Emma Smithwick has been announced yet?, she has already left a few weeks ago so I thought someone would be in place by now.
dazza89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 10:28
Pom Pom
Forum Member

I'm starting to think it was a fluke, actually. It seems like he's a genius...but only at a very specific format. Some of the spoilers and places there's been filming... It's like 07 all over again, but without that raw originality

And I don't get it. He didn't exactly leave Eastenders a happy and successful way, you'd think he would have learned something... But apparently he's gone "What's the best and most successful thing I ever did? McDean. Right, gotta ruin it then...clearly the logical choice!" ...I don't get it.
Pom Pom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 10:30
CRP2012
Inactive Member

I hope so, he knows Hollyoaks alot better than he did EE and the early signs of what we are seeing on screen at the moment it does look promising. I do wonder tho why no replacement for Emma Smithwick has been announced yet?, she has already left a few weeks ago so I thought someone would be in place by now.
BK Is the replacement for ES Isnt he?
CRP2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 10:32
Plant
Forum Member

Not if he genuinely believes Dodger and Will are the stars of the show.

Is that why we've got them dominating this week, so that the extra people watching after the bus crash will start to like them? I really don't think that's going to work.
Plant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 10:53
omnidirectional
Forum Member

BK Is the replacement for ES Isnt he?
Sort of. She was the 'Series Producer' and Bryan is the 'Executive Producer'. Apart from on Eastenders, the Series Producer is the person who runs the show, approves the scripts, creates and casts characters etc, but since Emma left Hollyoaks doesn't have one and Bryan is filling that roll.

He'll probably stay and they won't get a direct replacement for Emma.
omnidirectional is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 10:57
JarkdeLuxe
Forum Member

Not if he genuinely believes Dodger and Will are the stars of the show.

Is that why we've got them dominating this week, so that the extra people watching after the bus crash will start to like them? I really don't think that's going to work.
Will has hardly done anything since summer. I don't get the bitching over the fact that he'll be in a few upcoming episodes. It's not like he's hogging all the screentime is it?

I actually grew to like him in the end and I don't mind him staying on. And BK didn't say they were "the" stars of the show.
JarkdeLuxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 11:14
Joe_Zel
Inactive Member

But apparently he's gone "What's the best and most successful thing I ever did? McDean. Right, gotta ruin it then...clearly the logical choice!" ...I don't get it.
Joe_Zel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 11:16
vaslav37
Forum Member

He ruined EastEnders whose to say he won't ruin Hollyoaks too...
vaslav37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 11:19
Joe_Zel
Inactive Member

He ruined EastEnders whose to say he won't ruin Hollyoaks too...
Because 6 years ago, he took Hollyoaks through its most successful period.
Old 20-11-2012, 11:22
Pom Pom
Forum Member

lol you don't have to think it was good, but you really wanna laugh at the most successful part? What else did he do that got organisational awards? That got global attention and acclaim? That had a campaign en masse?
Old 20-11-2012, 11:24
Joe_Zel
Inactive Member

lol you don't have to think it was good, but you really wanna laugh at the most successful part? What else did he do that got organisational awards? That got global attention and acclaim? That had a campaign en masse?
Global attention? Give me a break.

And I wasn't referring to what I liked or didn't like. Clearly the McQueen's were his most successful characters as they are still going strong at the centre of the show several years after he left.
Old 20-11-2012, 11:40
Pom Pom
Forum Member

Global attention? Give me a break.

And I wasn't referring to what I liked or didn't like. Clearly the McQueen's were his most successful characters as they are still going strong at the centre of the show several years after he left.

So...? I meant storyline, not family. McQueens were total genius, no question! But...I was talking more specific storyline and...you can argue why McDean had success, if it was really as good as people claimed it was, but you can't argue about it's actual success.

Interviews, articles, polls, real life fans from around the world=global attention. I'm hardly hailing it as a global phenomenon, but it did get attention from all corners.
Old 20-11-2012, 11:47
Joe_Zel
Inactive Member

Most popular characters get interviews, win polls, get articles and fans. It's not unique to Craig and JP.
Old 20-11-2012, 11:51
Harlowe
Forum Member

I think his more at home with HO, EE just too much of a different kettle of fish, with HO you can do just about anything and I like the fact he gets the point of balance needed with the characters and introducing more family orientated scenarios

as he said

"Where it needed to perform better was in appealing to a wider audience, and that's something we're doing now. I want to get back to basics and focus on family and friendships - the older and younger characters can sit alongside each other nicely. We'll be telling exciting soap stories for them every week."
This is what some of the producers just never got by only targeting one age group and alienating the other is what has always been its down full where others soaps have flared better at it, by just focusing on the younger characters was where it went tits up.
Harlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 11:57
lulu g
Forum Member

Focusing the attention less on the hateful teen group and more on the families is, in theory, a good idea. However, the McQueens are a popular family, so are the Bradys, the Osbornes, potentially the Kanes. The Savages are not a popular family. Dirk is the only one who can act and the only likable one, in my view. If BK seriously sees Will as a star, he's lost his marbles.
lulu g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 12:00
BumbleSquat
Forum Member

McDean (ugh! I hate that name - it's just as cringey as Chryed or Stendan!) - were being hailed a huge success by online group of diehard fans because they had managed to keep their appreciation thread running for so long. A thread that would give every little glimpse each character gave each other a ridiculous 2-page analysis as if it was all part of some huge love story that didn't reflect realism AT ALL!

This is Hollyoaks, a show where characters have boyfriends and girlfriends on rotation - how these fans believed John Paul and Craig were going to be the one couple who overcame these odds just because they were gay and had the ''forbidden'' aspect to the relationship was naive.

I just saw the whole fangirl hype behind them to be a fad - sort of like a Bieber or One Direction' hype in terms of how extreme they were. Eventually the fans would grow out of it.
BumbleSquat is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 12:03
rick182
Inactive Member

No the ship has sailed

I would never watch again!.. can't be arsed getting to know all the new characters
rick182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 12:08
Pom Pom
Forum Member

Most popular characters get interviews, win polls, get articles and fans. It's not unique to Craig and JP.
International ones?