Options

BT Sport now considering 3 channels.

jamcambsjamcambs Posts: 584
Forum Member
✭✭
Todays media speculation says

BT is planning to launch not one, not two, but three sports channels, dedicated to football, rugby and other sports content.

According to a piece in the Financial Times, BT will launch a channel for both footie and rugby and is considering having a third channel free as a portal for on-demand matches and pay-per-view games.

Apparently BT is expected to base its sports operation in the Olympic Park.

Comments

• Options
    Mockney-RebelMockney-Rebel Posts: 204
    Forum Member
    I was under the impression BT was doing a deal with ITV to show its football coverage?
  • Options
    Gurj73Gurj73 Posts: 968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just found this :-

BT secures Sky slots for sports channels20 November, 2012 | By Alex Farber

BT has secured two EPG slots on the Sky platform in preparation for the launch of its sports channels.

The broadcaster, which has secured rights to air FA Premier League football, international football and Aviva Premiership rugby packages, has acquired the placeholders on the pay TV platform, which it has temporarily branded as Sailing 1 and Sailing 2.

Currently in testing and yet to go live, BT will rebrand and launch the channels next year, with viewers able to dial a phone number in order to access the content.

Due to BT’s existing infrastructure it is able to manage the customer relationship directly, rather than rely on Sky to re-sell its channels.

A BT spokesman confirmed the EPG slots had been secured ahead of the launch.

“Sailing 1 and 2 are placeholders for the new BT Sport channel, which will be launching next year,” he said. “For test purposes they will be showing sailing, treasure diving and kayaking content.”

Olympic Park

Separately BT is understood to be close to agreeing a deal to move its sports production business into offices in the Olympic Park.

Other potential locations mooted, including the Shard and MediaCityUK were believed to be under consideration but have since been dropped, although a final contract to with the Stratford-based location owners is yet to be signed

http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/news/broadcasters/bt-secures-sky-slots-for-sports-channels/5049180.article?blocktitle=LATEST-NEWS&contentID=870
  • Options
    mogzyboymogzyboy Posts: 6,439
    Forum Member
    I was under the impression BT was doing a deal with ITV to show its football coverage?
    No. That was incredibly poor journalism.

The actual story was that ITV Sport were rumoured to be interested in producing BT's coverage.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Three channels?

Wow, there is going to be an awful lot of filler going on most of the time.
  • Options
    mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mogzyboy wrote: »
    No. That was incredibly poor journalism.

The actual story was that ITV Sport were rumoured to be interested in producing BT's coverage.

Interestingly today's FT article says BT is planning to "offer" 10 rugby games to ITV.

(No link - partial paywall I think).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mlt11 wrote: »
    Interestingly today's FT article says BT is planning to "offer" 10 rugby games to ITV.

(No link - partial paywall I think).
    Thanks for that. :)

I saw a similar article in the London Evening Standard a couple of weeks ago, the link to which is here:
    http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/rugby/exclusive-live-topflight-rugby-heading-for-itv-as-part-of-new-tv-deal-8193505.html
  • Options
    wit-hamwit-ham Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    Gurj73 wrote: »
    Just found this :-

BT secures Sky slots for sports channels20 November, 2012 | By Alex Farber

BT has secured two EPG slots on the Sky platform in preparation for the launch of its sports channels.

What channel numbers will they be given? I think EPG position is massively important when starting up a new channel.

Call me lazy, but I tend to stop at Eurosport when channel flicking. Have no interest in Motors TV or ATR, even though I might be interested in what ESPN might have on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    wit-ham wrote: »
    What channel numbers will they be given? I think EPG position is massively important when starting up a new channel.

Call me lazy, but I tend to stop at Eurosport when channel flicking. Have no interest in Motors TV or ATR, even though I might be interested in what ESPN might have on.
    I'm like that with the first page of every section. I never go as far as ESPN unless there's something I know they have on that I want to watch - PL games and the like.

I always thought that ESPN should've been moved up to 409 when the F1 channel launched and things shifted about a bit. That way they'd have at least been on Page 1 of the Sports tab.
  • Options
    muppetman11muppetman11 Posts: 2,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry if this sounds a thick question , are these two slots that they have for Sky SD or HD ?
  • Options
    samburrowssamburrows Posts: 1,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BT plans up to three sports TV channels
    By Daniel Thomas and Ben Fenton
    BT is planning to roll out as many as three television channels to broadcast the football, rugby and other sports content it has acquired for almost £1bn in recent months.
    The UK telecoms group, which is close to signing up to rent a large studio in the former International Broadcast Centre in the Olympic Park at Stratford, east London, is planning at least two sports channels.

It is also considering a third channel to broadcast other content including on-demand programmes and one-off pay-per-view games.

Those with knowledge of the plans said that the volume of the sports acquired by BT requires multiple channels to avoid clashes, while market testing has shown that viewers see a greater value for money in such a proposition. It would be similar to Sky Sports, which operates five core sports channels.

BT declined to comment.

BT is expected to base its sports operations in the Olympic Park. An announcement on the move could be made this month.

The decision opens up the prospect of variable wholesale models for BT, which could offer packages of channels and content to companies such as Sky and Virgin Media.

The plans are at an early stage, given the football rights begin with the 2013-14 season. BT acquired 38 football matches, including 18 “first-choice picks”, for £738m in an ambitious strategy to attract customers to its TV platform and bolster its bundled high-speed fibre broadband packages in the face of a fierce challenge from Sky and Virgin Media.

BT will also own the rights to broadcast live Premiership rugby matches and fixtures involving English clubs in European competitions, in a £152m, four-year deal. The group is planning to offer about 10 of the rugby games to ITV, and will also offer the matches to pubs and clubs on a subscription basis.

Teams have been poached from ESPN and Sky to provide sports expertise on the set-up and management of the channels. BT wants to feature programmes with a similar format to Grandstand, one of the BBC’s longest-running sports shows until its cancellation in 2007, and Rugby Special. BT is still in talks about hiring a production company to oversee the output, with Sunset+Vine, which produced Channel 4’s cricket, seen to be a favourite.

At a conference last week, Ian Livingston, BT chief executive, said the group was still deciding on the format of its sports content and whether or not to sell it on for a wholesale price to rival broadcasters. He said: “We have a number of different scenarios. We are happy and pragmatic wholesalers. If it makes sense, then we do it; if not, then we don’t.”

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/7ced35e8-326b-11e2-916a-00144feabdc0.html#axzz2Cm9F1q4C
  • Options
    mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wit-ham wrote: »

If BT wants to obtain an EPG number (or numbers) other than at the bottom of the Sports section then it is going to have to purchase that number from an existing owner.

I guess IF ESPN were to close any channel(s) then BT may try to buy those number(s). But if not it's not immediately obvious what other options BT have.

I would have thought BT would want to avoid being at the bottom of the EPG if at all possible.
  • Options
    Digi ManDigi Man Posts: 18,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry if this sounds a thick question , are these two slots that they have for Sky SD or HD ?
    Definitely SD, they'll get two new EPG slots from Sky if (or when) they launch HD versions of their channels.
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Digi Man wrote: »
    Definitely SD, they'll get two new EPG slots from Sky if (or when) they launch HD versions of their channels.

Any possibility that they will not even bother with SD and just have HD channels? What reasons are there to have SD channels given that the percentage of Sky/VM customers with HD capacity must be 95%+?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I won't be subscribing to these BT Sports channels if we only have SD available on Sky , then again I may not bother anyway Sky Sports has more than enough on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any possibility that they will not even bother with SD and just have HD channels?
    To be fair the information given above doesn't make clear where BT have secured their two EPG slots from. If BT have secured them from another broadcaster already operating on Sky's EPG, then they will most likely be for SD versions of BT's channels. If the two EPG slots have been secured directly from Sky, they'll be for HD versions of BT's channels.

What reasons are there to have SD channels given that the percentage of Sky/VM customers with HD capacity must be 95%+?
    Not sure on the numbers, but there's still plenty of subscribers/viewers viewing via SD broadcasts. It's certainly not 95% HD viewing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I won't be subscribing to these BT Sports channels if we only have SD available on Sky , then again I may not bother anyway Sky Sports has more than enough on.
    There'll be SD & HD, there's no way, in my opinion, that BT won't offer HD versions of their channels.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,551
    Forum Member

Well BT are likely to continue to offer at least Sky Sports 1 & 2 as well as their own channels, and my hope is that their base TV package will be much cheaper than Sky's (as it is right now).

This should allow a significantly cheaper 'top sports' package from BT than from Sky (base subscription + Sports subscription(s)). I also expect at least some of these channels to be available over IPTV/Youview by the launch date. If all this happens, we will at last have real choice in Pay TV, real competition and not before time. Good luck to BT, I say - they are one of very few companies with deep enough pockets to pull this off successfully.
  • Options
    mersey70mersey70 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    There'll be SD & HD, there's no way, in my opinion, that BT won't offer HD versions of their channels.

Indeed, they no doubt just took the opportunity to pick up two SD slots that became available and will use them as placeholders (which they are required to). Channel 4 did the same thing prior to 4Seven launching with More4+2, they merely bought an SD slot from another broadcaster. They haven't bought placeholders for More4 HD and Film4 HD though!

HD slots are readily available direct from Sky so I would imagine they'll buy them nearer to launch.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    Well BT are likely to continue to offer at least Sky Sports 1 & 2 as well as their own channels, and my hope is that their base TV package will be much cheaper than Sky's (as it is right now).

This should allow a much cheaper 'top sports' package from BT than from Sky (base subscription + Sports subscription(s)). I also expect at least some of these channels to be available over IPTV/Youview by the launch date. If all this happens, we will at last have real choice in Pay TV, real competition and not before time. Good luck to BT, I say - they are one of very few companies big enough to pull this off.

No problem with BT as a platform and I welcome competition , as a current Sky subscriber I'm merely stating that if BT Sports is SD only on the Sky platform they'll not see a penny of my money. BT can offer the best range but unfortunately for me no infinity means its simply not currently a viable option. Hopefully Mersey70 and Digi Man are correct and the BT Sports HD will be available through Sky.
  • Options
    Jason CJason C Posts: 31,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have there been even the slightest suggestion of a subscription price yet?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mersey70 wrote: »
    Indeed, they no doubt just took the opportunity to pick up two SD slots that became available and will use them as placeholders (which they are required to). Channel 4 did the same thing prior to 4Seven launching with More4+2, they merely bought an SD slot from another broadcaster.

HD slots are readily available direct from Sky so I would imagine they'll buy them nearer to launch.
    Indeed, I bet BT are already in Sky's HD launch queue.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,551
    Forum Member
    No problem with BT as a platform and I welcome competition , as a current Sky subscriber I'm merely stating that if BT Sports is SD only on the Sky platform they'll not see a penny of my money. BT can offer the best range but unfortunately for me no infinity means its simply not currently a viable option.

I'm sure they will have it all available in HD, on all platforms they use. Not doing that just wouldn't make sense, they seem to be thinking big and HD would be essential to that. But for me, I want it all on IPTV, which might help to keep the subscriptions down.

If they do HD as standard, it would be a good selling point and could be the thing that finally persuades Sky to drop the HD subscription fee?
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure they will have it all available in HD, on all platforms they use. Not doing that just wouldn't make sense, they seem to be thinking big and HD would be essential to that. But for me, I want it all on IPTV, which might help to keep the subscriptions down.

If they do HD as standard, it would be a good selling point and could be the thing that finally persuades Sky to drop the HD subscription fee?

Too many third party broadcasters getting a share for it to be dropped, at least in the short term.

Don't forget that BT subscribers only get Sky Sports in SD.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I wonder if the PL has it written in the rights that all games shown live in the UK have to be in HD on platforms where it is possible to do so (i.e. cable and satellite)?

It wouldn't surprise me. It'll be in the PL's interests to stipulate something like this.
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This should allow a significantly cheaper 'top sports' package from BT than from Sky (base subscription + Sports subscription(s)). I also expect at least some of these channels to be available over IPTV/Youview by the launch date. If all this happens, we will at last have real choice in Pay TV, real competition and not before time. Good luck to BT, I say - they are one of very few companies with deep enough pockets to pull this off successfully.

With reference to the other football/BT thread, if Sky decide to move over a substantial number of PL games to SS3 it will mean that BT customers will not being able to see as many games as Sky customers.