Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Do you think Rihanna is overrated?

Old 20-11-2012, 16:56
mysty211
Forum Member

I like Rihanna but not as much as I used to.
She seemed better in her early stages.
Her last few albums haven't been the best Talk That Talk was ok though.
She's just seemed to go downhill for me anyway. Most still love her and think she's amazing.

I think she's overrated in the same way GaGa is . She's good but not that good there are better people. Her albums are getting worse.

What do you think is Rihanna overrated?and why?
mysty211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 20-11-2012, 17:02
theafterman
Forum Member

Yes she's overrated but that's mainly thanks to the press that she courts.

Sick of seeing her half-naked body or side boob/bum & I've yet to hear a decent song from here

Not a fan
theafterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 17:05
MrMeatAndPotato
Forum Member

Well of course.
MrMeatAndPotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 17:14
hazzajam
Forum Member

yes she is so overrated
hazzajam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 17:17
Mandark
Forum Member

She's all right but I wonder whether she deserves to be feted as a pop superstar.
Mandark is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 17:18
thierrynadal
Forum Member

She is not really rated as a good singer, dancer or performer.I would say she is over exposed and lucky to have producers that give her good songs.
thierrynadal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 17:25
Pompeygeek
Forum Member

Yes!

BUT, she does release some excellent pop tunes! She probably won't ever be considered a pop legend, but she has an excellent hit rate and satisfies a need!!
Pompeygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 17:26
LandslideBrad
Forum Member

No she's not.
LandslideBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 17:38
MrMeatAndPotato
Forum Member

Lol...
MrMeatAndPotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 17:47
Hav_mor91
Forum Member

No in the sense she has never nor has no one (seriously at least) ever said she was she knows what she is she's good at what she does and that is making music and being a popstar not the saviour of music nor this decades greatest
Hav_mor91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 17:54
sjp07
Forum Member

I sure do. She is the most overrated "artist" since Britney Spears. Actually I can't think of anyone more overrated than Rihanna. She can't sing or dance, and is somehow thought of as a great entertainer.
sjp07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 18:01
Sweet FA
Forum Member

Erm, if people are buying her records for what they are, how does being 'overrated' come into it? No one's ever claimed she's the most talented singer-songwriter or luminary EVER!
Sweet FA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 18:02
mysty211
Forum Member

I sure do. She is the most overrated "artist" since Britney Spears. Actually I can't think of anyone more overrated than Rihanna. She can't sing or dance, and is somehow thought of as a great entertainer.
Lady GaGa is the same.
mysty211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 18:11
sjp07
Forum Member

Lady GaGa is the same.
Nah, she can sing alright and writes pretty decent pop tunes. She is, however, the most pretentious artist around. I wish she would stop trying to dance because she isn't good at it. Popstars today seem so caught up with being all around performers that they forget they are singers first.

Take Chris Brown. Amazing dancer, but he can't do both because his vocals suffer. He needs to just pick which one he likes more and stop lip syncing. Bieber, is a terrible dancer. He should stick to what he's good at. Usher has the sane problem as CB. Not everyone can or is meant to be a Beyonce or Pink or even Justin Timberlake.
sjp07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 18:12
Hav_mor91
Forum Member

Erm, if people are buying her records for what they are, how does being 'overrated' come into it? No one's ever claimed she's the most talented singer-songwriter or illuminary EVER!
Exactly i think people need to get off their soap boxes and accept her for what she is at face value
Hav_mor91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 18:20
rfonzo
Forum Member

Lady GaGa is the same.
I agree. I do not think Rihanna is only artist there are others such as Lady Gaga as you have mentioned. Some would say Beyonce is another example. I think that all three have overexposure by the music channels and the media in general attributed to them.
rfonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 18:28
little-monster
Forum Member

Underrated. Yes she is the biggest pop star around but people don't see how talented she really is, as well as how involved in her career she is.

She is a huge Icon and I believe in many decades to come, her work will be assessed and be seen at what a fantastic Pop Icon she is. She's no Madonna, she is simply Rihanna. No one like her existed before and only shameful carbon flop copies have been attempted to.
little-monster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 18:38
LandslideBrad
Forum Member

Underrated. Yes she is the biggest pop star around but people don't see how talented she really is, as well as how involved in her career she is.

She is a huge Icon and I believe in many decades to come, her work will be assessed and be seen at what a fantastic Pop Icon she is. She's no Madonna, she is simply Rihanna. No one like her existed before and only shameful carbon flop copies have been attempted to.
^ 100% agree
LandslideBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 19:21
SexiRokStarr
Forum Member

Also agree.
SexiRokStarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 19:31
Microkorg
Forum Member

Vile woman
Microkorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 19:39
Clancey83
Forum Member

I'm not sure I would say she's overrated my only problem with her is she seems to have this "quantity over quality" thing when it comes to her music. She releases an album every year (usually just before Christmas) that has 1 or 2 good songs and the rest is filler. I'd prefer if she went away and made something decent. Rated R was my favourite album. I'd love if she did something like that again but she or her record company are too concerned with hit singles.
Clancey83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 19:49
3 $pirit
Forum Member

Yes she is very lucky to be in the position in that she is not really talented in any area tbh although over 7 years she has grown as a singer,
3 $pirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 20:34
BrokenArrow
Forum Member

Nowt wrong with Rihanna, she is a perfect fit for the music she produces and knows how to market herself.
BrokenArrow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 22:26
kryskrys
Forum Member

No, not really. Rated R is an incredible album and she's released a string of amazing pop songs (Umbrella, Only Girl In The World, We Found Love, SOS. Disturbia, Russian Roulette, Rude Boy, Don't Stop The Music etc). I think she has a great image and I'm personally a big fan of her voice.
kryskrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 22:35
martinmills2
Forum Member

I appreciate what she does, and when she gets it right then she does it excellently but since the start of the Talk That Talk album she seems as if her heart isn't in it anymore and she's just letting herself get pushed in whatever direction is favourable while she just gets high or drunk. she appears detached when she performs, especially when she did the radio one big weekend thing, and she just seems disinterested in whatever it is she's doing and that's quite off putting.
martinmills2 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote