Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Any tablet that can play dvds?

Old 27-11-2012, 20:49
srhill
Forum Member

As the title says - is there any tablet that can play a dvd - even by attaching an external dvd player?
srhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 27-11-2012, 21:11
Fran Blakes
Forum Member

Looking on Google Play, VLC Direct Pro can play VOB files.

I think the tablet need to have support for USB OTG
and if the Android OS supports the DVD file system/structure I don't see why not.
Fran Blakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 21:14
TheCableGuy
Forum Member

This might be of interest to you. I believe this allows you to stream DVDs and other media to android and iOS devices.

http://m.ebuyer.com/345821
TheCableGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 21:24
Gormond
Forum Member

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0080K4K7...SIN=B0080K4K76

Apparently works with android tablets.
Gormond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 21:49
BKM
Forum Member

As the title says - is there any tablet that can play a dvd - even by attaching an external dvd player?
Depends on exactly how easy you would like this to be!

For iPads, for example, there is plenty of software which neatly rips a DVD and then reformats to MP4 at the correct screen resolution. Takes a few minutes and is often fully automatic.

This gives an excellent result when loaded onto the device using iTunes.

Some DVDs come with a "Digital Copy" which is essentially the ripping stage done for you.
BKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 22:08
srhill
Forum Member

sounds a bit messy - what I was really looking for was a tablet that I could attach an external dvd player to (via usb?) and play a std dvd.

Most of the dvd's I want to watch would be my own creations
from sky sports etc.
Old 27-11-2012, 22:14
psionic
Forum Member

sounds a bit messy - what I was really looking for was a tablet that I could attach an external dvd player to (via usb?) and play a std dvd.

from sky sports etc.
Would it be easier to just use a laptop?
psionic is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 22:17
BKM
Forum Member

As others have said having whirring mechanical DVDs using power is more laptop territory - tablets are all for having the content already as a digital file!
Old 27-11-2012, 23:06
Gormond
Forum Member

from sky sports etc.
The link I posted should work on many android tablets, or so Samsung say anyway.
Gormond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 10:46
srhill
Forum Member

Would it be easier to just use a laptop?
I have a laptop - dvd drive not working at present.

However the main problem is it's weight.

I cannot believe that tablet makers (esp Apple) do not allow dvd playing by usb attachment of a small dvd player - it is just a basic extension!
Old 29-11-2012, 11:04
BKM
Forum Member

I cannot believe that tablet makers (esp Apple) do not allow dvd playing by usb attachment of a small dvd player - it is just a basic extension!
Tablets are almost totally orientated towards streaming video - iPlayer, Netflix etc. There does seem to be add-on software ("Air Play It") which claims to stream a DVD "live" from another computer's DVD drive on the same LAN.
Old 29-11-2012, 11:16
psionic
Forum Member

Tablet makers would no doubt prefer you to download/stream from their respective online stores. Alternatively there are other services like Lovefilm or Netflix etc. You can convert DVDs and transfer from a computer but it is a load of hassle, time consuming, and dubious legality. However I honestly don't believe plugging in external DVD player to a tablet is a commonly desired feature, hence most manufacturers don't bother with it.
psionic is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 11:53
c4rv
Forum Member

You realise that apple are the ones most pushing the decline of optical media ? I believe optical drives are optional on their desktops as well as laptops.
c4rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 11:56
paulbrock
Forum Member

The whole point of tablets is that they're lightweight enough to carry around; I'd imagine having an external DVD player would double their weight, and make it rather more fiddly to carry.

Think that you're looking for a laptop really, or a portable DVD player + tab.
paulbrock is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 12:42
srhill
Forum Member

The whole point of tablets is that they're lightweight enough to carry around; I'd imagine having an external DVD player would double their weight, and make it rather more fiddly to carry.

Think that you're looking for a laptop really, or a portable DVD player + tab.
No I am definitely not.

I am looking for a tablet which can play dvd via a small dvd player (similar to a portable cd player)

It is all about size and weight - laoptops are too big and too heavy - I know cos I already have one!
Old 29-11-2012, 12:47
io1901
Forum Member

Why make DVDs why not just make video files which you can play on the tablet.(and the PC)
io1901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 14:06
srhill
Forum Member

Why make DVDs why not just make video files which you can play on the tablet.(and the PC)
the content is sport from sky - just want to be able to take away when on hols fro those odd moments and be able to catch up.

I play from sky onto a dvd recorder's HDD (takes 2 hrs) then put onto a dvd for playing back away from home (takes 5 mins)

as far as I can ascertain to get on an ipad would then take another 2 hrs to get from ddv into the istore and yet another 2 hrs to get onto my ipad (I may be wrong in this)
Old 29-11-2012, 15:31
paulj48
Forum Member

as far as I can ascertain to get on an ipad would then take another 2 hrs to get from ddv into the istore and yet another 2 hrs to get onto my ipad (I may be wrong in this)
Depends on the speed of your computer, my MacbookPro certainly does'nt take 2 hours to rip and encode a DVD.

Why dont you just buy a portable DVD player with a built in screen?
paulj48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 16:04
BKM
Forum Member

No this is wildly pessimistic!

On a Core-i7 Desktop PC it took me about 10 minutes to RIP a DVD to a ~2Gb file converted to IPad MP4 format.

I then copied this file to my laptop (as the IPad syncs against this) and then Tunes only took a few (5 or so) minutes to copy this file to the IPad.
Old 29-11-2012, 16:23
Tigerpaws
Forum Member

You realise that apple are the ones most pushing the decline of optical media ? I believe optical drives are optional on their desktops as well as laptops.
It is optional on the latest iMac and some of their laptops - the MacBook Airs and Retina MacBook Pro's.
Tigerpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 16:50
grumpyoldbat
Forum Member

It is optional on the latest iMac and some of their laptops - the MacBook Airs and Retina MacBook Pro's.
It's not really optional. There is no optical drive in an Air. You have to buy a peripheral DVD drive.
grumpyoldbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 22:43
BKM
Forum Member

It's not really optional. There is no optical drive in an Air. You have to buy a peripheral DVD drive.
Air does come with a built-in ability to use remotely other DVD drives on machines on the same LAN - this works for software installation but I forget if it can play video as well. It's a bit surprising that tablets don't also have something like this as well.
Old 30-11-2012, 00:33
CuBz90
Forum Member

Buy a portable DVD player.
CuBz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2012, 01:04
c4rv
Forum Member

Buy a portable DVD player.
^^^ This
c4rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2012, 16:35
Mandark
Forum Member

Yep that looks suitable for Samsung and would probably work with HTC/ Nexus as they often use the same connector. Another solution would be the MS Surface tablets. They're designed to work with external devices.
Mandark is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote