Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

PS4 Rumours, Backwards Compat via Dongle

Old 30-11-2012, 00:22
chopoff
Forum Member

http://dualpixels.com/2012/11/29/rum...wear-next-gen/

Not sure how to take those 'rumours'.

$99 for a dongle that will allow you to play your old games. Not a bad idea, I guess, keeps the cost down on a feature that the vocal minority use, but is that do-able?
chopoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 30-11-2012, 13:51
redhatmatt
Inactive Member

http://dualpixels.com/2012/11/29/rum...wear-next-gen/

Not sure how to take those 'rumours'.

$99 for a dongle that will allow you to play your old games. Not a bad idea, I guess, keeps the cost down on a feature that the vocal minority use, but is that do-able?
Sony has a patent for such a device, maybe where the rumour came from. However the patent only covered the PS2 being played on the PS3.
redhatmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2012, 14:38
steveOooo
Forum Member

Built in freeview HD, ssd drive that works off a spinning disc (ala apples 'fusion drive) - 2tb-3tb drives available, ps3 / psn games all work ok, also a slot to put your Todger in for more fun!
steveOooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2012, 19:35
TheVoid
Forum Member

That sounds fine. Although not sure I'd buy the dongle. May as well just keep my PS3.
TheVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 16:31
chopoff
Forum Member

That sounds fine. Although not sure I'd buy the dongle. May as well just keep my PS3.
Which is why it is a great idea.

I never understand why people moan about backwards compatibility when they can just keep their old device.

I realise some people are not pooping money and may wish to trade in their old device to help purchase the new one, but you could say that those who cannot afford the new one, also cannot afford a lot of things and why should it increase the cost of the device for everyone just to please people who want to trade-in the old device.
chopoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 17:10
PhoenixRises
Forum Member

I never understand why people moan about backwards compatibility when they can just keep their old device.

I realise some people are not pooping money and may wish to trade in their old device to help purchase the new one, but you could say that those who cannot afford the new one, also cannot afford a lot of things and why should it increase the cost of the device for everyone just to please people who want to trade-in the old device.
For me it is about space - which is already at a premium - to have yet another console in my TV cabinet would be slightly too much. So I would rather have a device that plays the older games as well as the newer games (especially for the last gen at the very least) So I guess I would have to pay extra for this "luxury"
PhoenixRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 18:01
redhatmatt
Inactive Member

My lounge is about 40sq ft having an itinery of Games consoles takes up too much space. BC also gives the advantages of the new console for the PS3 it was that you could save the games on the HDD and play them in upscaled HDD which produced a better picture than the scart socket ever did on my TV.
redhatmatt is offline   Reply With Quote