Options

Sky on demand - slooow downloading!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,676
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Have just set up the wireless connector to our sky HD box - all is working ok - HOWEVER, to download something is taking ages - up to 30 mins to an hour - rather than a few minutes.

Is this normal - and if not should I phone Sky to ask them about the download speed?7

Thank you:)

Comments

• Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    firstly, what are you downloading?
    secondly, who is your ISP?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    firstly, what are you downloading?
    secondly, who is your ISP?

Sky and we were just trying it out - picked on something from BBC iplayer for on demand:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky and we were just trying it out - picked on something from BBC iplayer for on demand:)

yeah what in particular, as i will try it and see if it's also slow for me.

chances are it'll be a poor wifi signal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    we tried eastenders from bbc iplayer - taking ages!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    7% complete after 5 mins - if this is normal then ok but if not, any advice?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    7% complete after 5 mins - if this is normal then ok but if not, any advice?

depends entirely on what your download speeds are like.
    for me, i can watch within 5 - 10 seconds usually.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK thanks i might give sky a call and see what they say
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK thanks i might give sky a call and see what they say

nothing they can do about that really
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We have BT and around 7 megawatsits download speed. A 30 minute East Enders will be available to view in seconds in SD and maybe 2 - 3 minutes in HD.

An HD movie took only half an hour to download and was viewable inside10 minutes or so.

Our BB is nothing special so these are pretty average expectations.

You can watch SD programmes much faster than HD ones as they become available to view inside seconds as opposed to a few minutes because HD requires more than 10% downloaded first (sometimes up to 30% I think) - this being to provide a buffer so you can watch without interruption.
  • Options
    CTD101CTD101 Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have just set up the wireless connector to our sky HD box - all is working ok - HOWEVER, to download something is taking ages - up to 30 mins to an hour - rather than a few minutes.

Is this normal - and if not should I phone Sky to ask them about the download speed?7

What is your usual internet speed? Try a speed test at speedtest.net for a reasonably accurate reading of your internet speed, and then we could give you an idea of how quick programmes should be downloading
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My speed is 2.6mb/s. Multiply by 60 to get per minute and by 60 to get per hour and that's 9360mb, so about 1gb per hour.

A downloaded 114m HD film has a file size is 3.63gb, so it took around three and a half hours. It would be around two hours from starting, to be available.

If my speed was around 5.5mb/s or higher, it should be available to view in a few minutes.
  • Options
    Presenter100Presenter100 Posts: 796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow, that's slow internet. less than 3MB isn't ideal for downloading from I player etc. Avoid HD content. And switch ISP's or get your line looked at.

And if that's as fast as your line will take, because of distance from exchange etc, there's not much that can be done.
  • Options
    Boris BlankBoris Blank Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    Same (slow) boat as derek500, my BB download speed is 2meg - absolutely pathetic, haven't even bothered to try to download anything off Sky as its just waaaayyyy too slow.

So many movies, so little speed :(
  • Options
    Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    Wow, that's slow internet. less than 3MB isn't ideal for downloading from I player etc. Avoid HD content. And switch ISP's or get your line looked at.

And if that's as fast as your line will take, because of distance from exchange etc, there's not much that can be done.

There is something that can be done, but that depends on two factors, fibre being available in their area and they would be willing to pay a little more each month for the pleasure.

Fibre is what I have had to wait for because it takes me longer to download a SD programme than watch it, HD downloads can take five hours or more before they become available. In a few days I will be able to watch content SD/HD almost instantly as me speed will jump from less than 1meg to around 60meg, Xmas has come early for me. :D
  • Options
    simon194simon194 Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deacon1972 wrote: »
    There is something that can be done, but that depends on two factors, fibre being available in their area and they would be willing to pay a little more each month for the pleasure.

Fibre is what I have had to wait for because it takes me longer to download a SD programme than watch it, HD downloads can take five hours or more before they become available. In a few days I will be able to watch content SD/HD almost instantly as me speed will jump from less than 1meg to around 60meg, Xmas has come early for me. :D

Sky on-demand stuff is restricted to a max download speed of around 20Mbps even so HD content usually available to view within 20 second dependnig on the size of the file.

I have my router set up to give Sky OD stuff a guaranteed 20 Mbps so that it doesn't have to contend with then kids when they to max out the connection. Anyways they still have 50Mbps to play with. :):)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Hello I thought i might put my penneys worth in I am trying to download the sports relief from BBC Iplayer I have 32mb speed and mine has been going for over 24 hours and it still has only done 29 % yet i can download a film to my PC twice the size as sky and have it in about 5mins what the hell is wrong with Sky.........
    >:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(
  • Options
    JamesEJamesE Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    I wish you lads would get your terminology right!

MB = Megabyte
    Mb = Megabit
    A byte is 8 bits

Mb/s = Megabit per second and is in what speeds are normally quoted.

the lower case m stands for milli, or a thousandth.
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It sounds like something is wrong in that case, as that's remarkably slow.

However I've recently switched to 100MB from Virgin Media (with the Sky box connected to the router via ethernet) and whilst most programmes are available to watch almost instantly, it's still slow to complete the full download - much longer than downloading an equivalent sized file on the PC.
  • Options
    sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It sounds like something is wrong in that case, as that's remarkably slow.

However I've recently switched to 100MB from Virgin Media (with the Sky box connected to the router via ethernet) and whilst most programmes are available to watch almost instantly, it's still slow to complete the full download - much longer than downloading an equivalent sized file on the PC.

This is because you want it as fast as possible on a PC, because you can't generally do anything with the file until it has finished downloading.

With the Sky system, as long as you can watch it, it doesn't matter how fast it downloads, so generally it goes at an optimal speed to allow almost instant viewing (if your internet speed is good enough), but does not need to use all the available bandwidth, as you can't watch it any quicker.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    my net speed is 60Mb/s, but when downloading content from sky on demand on a sky box, download speed does not go over 10Mb/s (judging from download times and file sizes).
    in most cases it means instant viewing: a 3-4GB hd movie (typically 90-120 minutes) becomes available to view within seconds.
    but "revenge" in the "tv box set" section, which is 2GBs and programme duration is 40 mins, it takes about 10 mins to start viewing (full download approx. 50 mins).
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It took me nearly 90 minutes to download an hour-long SD programme (Line of Duty). I contacted Sky who told me this was normal and an HD programme would take much longer.With this sort of speed (I have Sky Broadband, they checked it and said it was OK) I question the value of On Demand.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    well, if a 60 minute programme that couldn't be more than 1GB (but probably less), took you 90 mins to download, then i'd say it's definitely not OK...
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    It took me nearly 90 minutes to download an hour-long SD programme (Line of Duty). I contacted Sky who told me this was normal and an HD programme would take much longer.With this sort of speed (I have Sky Broadband, they checked it and said it was OK) I question the value of On Demand.

I had a bit of a slow down last week, even though speedtest.net showed 21mb for my Sky broadband.

So I took the mains lead out of my Sky wireless adapter, and put it back in after 30 seconds.

Now back to 'available' within seconds instead of half an hour or so.
  • Options
    sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »

As you haven't advised your internet speed, or how the Sky box is connected to the router, how can anyone advise whether they think this is right or wrong?
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I generally have no problem with On Demand. A hour HD programme is usually available within seconds but last night the service was particularly slow. It's still lagging a bit today.

It was taking over 30 mins for a programme to become available. Just thought i'd point it out if others were having problems recently.