Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Wii U....What are your first impressions?

Old 24-12-2012, 12:18
redlight79
Forum Member

With the eShop card I treated myself to Trine 2 and Chasing Aurora.
Trine 2 is the best game on e-Shop at the moment, and I urge everyone to get it while it's on offer. [10/10]

Chasing Aurora I have very mixed opinons on, but whilst it's a fiver, everyone should get it. You can't go wrong. However, when it goes back to being 10 or 15, then maybe think long and hard if it's worth it. The single player is boring, and deducts massive points towards it, but multiplayer is good. [7.5/10]
redlight79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 24-12-2012, 13:06
Scrubber
Forum Member

The one thing I can't help notice about the Wii U is it's graphical performance. In my eyes, it trounces what the PS3 can offer. Obviously, with it being new hardware I'd expect this but being a Ninendo loyalist I'm used to below par graphics. I'm glad they've finally stepped up.
The Wii was the only system with below par graphics, a step backwards almost.

But the Snes, N64 and GameCube had the best graphics of their generations.
Scrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 23:17
gdjman68wasdigi
Forum Member

it was about the controller, which everybody else wanted a piece of
gdjman68wasdigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2012, 08:09
unclekevo
Forum Member

Wii U started, internet connection test went well, updating at the moment, it's about 10% through
unclekevo is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2012, 09:50
misawa97
Forum Member

Got my GC on Japanese import. That blew me away. Star Wars Rogue squadron looked incredible and the water in wave race was something else.
misawa97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2012, 09:11
2Dshmuplover
Forum Member

Not sure how you reach that conclusion. The SNES was only better in terms of Mode 7 and offering fake 3D, other games like Star Fox used additional chips which is not really comparable. Many 2D games on the Mega Drive were more impressive/graphically intensive than similar games on SNES. The N64 I'll give you, the only thing that crippled it was the restrictive cartridge format.

The GameCube however, while powerful was nowhere near on par with the Xbox let alone more powerful. Can you really imagine games like Halo, Half Life 2, Ninja Gaiden, Jade Empire or Rallisport Challenge 2 on the GameCube?

If you're talking more on an artistic level than technical then I think the Wii holds up to this gen just fine. It may not be HD but some of the games are gorgeous to look at.
2Dshmuplover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2012, 10:41
Kal_El
Forum Member

The SNES was arguably not even a true 16 bit console compared to the Megadrive, featuring two 8 bit processors rather than one true 16 bit one. As 2D says above, only its Mode 7 capability allowed it to stand out.

I agree with 2D about the Wii too. I think despite the generation difference in graphical capability, it more than held its own expressively.
Kal_El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2012, 13:49
geordielady
Forum Member

We did the update this morning, took around 1 hour to download and install, not too bad, got all the other updates to do yet but will do them when the unit is free or "as and when".
geordielady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2012, 23:13
rumpleteazer
Forum Member

Got mine today, loving it! My wii broke a few days ago so I just had to buy a wii u with my Christmas money and vouchers, oh well
rumpleteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2012, 11:43
redlight79
Forum Member

Everyone who got a Wii U for Christmas, don't forget to post your Nintendo Network ID's on the pinned thread of the forum.
Old 28-12-2012, 11:50
SimonB79
Forum Member

Everyone who got a Wii U for Christmas, don't forget to post your Nintendo Network ID's on the pinned thread of the forum.
soooo true ... we should be arranging games of tekken, blackops, sonic racing etc etc (like in the good old dayz when this place was buzzing)
SimonB79 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 03:58
brb
Forum Member

I love my Wii U. Completely addicted to ZombiU and Batman Arkham Asylum atm. For the first time in quite a while, I'm enjoying gaming on a console again.

Only problem is the bad battery life on the gamepad... it's really causing more problems for me than I thought it would. Oh well. C'est la vie...
brb is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 08:49
SimonB79
Forum Member

I love my Wii U. Completely addicted to ZombiU and Batman Arkham Asylum atm. For the first time in quite a while, I'm enjoying gaming on a console again.

Only problem is the bad battery life on the gamepad... it's really causing more problems for me than I thought it would. Oh well. C'est la vie...
yep ... same here ... you'll just have 2 use a very long USB cable (like me) until that UBoost batterypack (see amazon) arrives in feb.
Old 29-12-2012, 09:11
TheTrader78
Forum Member

soooo true ... we should be arranging games of tekken, blackops, sonic racing etc etc (like in the good old dayz when this place was buzzing)
Definitely....the next retail game I'm getting will be an online game, so I'll be up for that. Although I'm waiting for the Sonic Racing demo to turn up soon.

Mario Kart when eventually released (I reckon that will be the first game to incorporate 2 gamepads) will liven things up online.

Is Little Inferno any good?
TheTrader78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 13:02
redlight79
Forum Member

Definitely....the next retail game I'm getting will be an online game, so I'll be up for that. Although I'm waiting for the Sonic Racing demo to turn up soon.

Mario Kart when eventually released (I reckon that will be the first game to incorporate 2 gamepads) will liven things up online.

Is Little Inferno any good?
Omg!! A Mario Kart U would be awesome!! I hadn't thought of that, though it is inevitable. I only had Zelda, Pikmin and Donkey Kong Country Returns 2 in the back of my mind.
2013 will be such a great year for Wii U!
Old 29-12-2012, 14:41
fastest finger
Forum Member

2013 will be such a great year for Wii U!
I wish I shared your enthusiasm. I've seen a Wii U premium for what seems a really good price. I'm tempted to treat myself for Christmas, but still not convinced it's worth it.

That said, 75 (25%) off the RRP this soon seems like a big drop. Harks back to the massive price drop the N64 saw just weeks after launch. Have sales not been good?
fastest finger is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 14:42
geordielady
Forum Member

Yeah my son love the zombiu game, what I have seen of it it certainly looks a great game although the graphics are a bit average. Even my husband has had a shot at playing that and he hardly ever plays video games Love the way the gamepad is used, the scanning and style of the game reminds me a bit of metroid.

My son has got around 3 hours out of a charge although he has the gampad backlight set to 1. My friend who has had one since launch day says the battery life increases slighty after 5 or 6 charges, her kids get around 4 hours now, but have to agree its very poor, nintendo should have put a higher powered battery in the gampad that could last 6 hours or so especially considering the recharge time is so long.

But it looks a great unit and of course hopefully next year will see a proper mario game plus a new zelda and metroid, and hopefully these will utilise the gamepad to its full potential as well as full 1080p HD rez
Old 29-12-2012, 17:04
thomas2400
Forum Member

Is the nintendo network down, or is there any way to tell when there will be downtime

I've not been able to connect today, not sure if the problem is on my end as every other internet connected device is working
thomas2400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 17:05
SimonB79
Forum Member

Originally Posted by geordielady
My son has got around 3 hours out of a charge although he has the gampad backlight set to 1. My friend who has had one since launch day says the battery life increases slighty after 5 or 6 charges, her kids get around 4 hours now, but have to agree its very poor, nintendo should have put a higher powered battery in the gampad that could last 6 hours or so especially considering the recharge time is so long.
would u have been willing to pay an extra 15/20+ for a more powerful battery? /interested
Old 29-12-2012, 17:05
SimonB79
Forum Member

Is the nintendo network down, or is there any way to tell when there will be downtime

I've not been able to connect today, not sure if the problem is on my end as every other internet connected device is working
mine is fine.
Old 29-12-2012, 17:07
thomas2400
Forum Member

SKYYYYYY (in the shatner saying Kahn style)
thomas2400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 17:18
redlight79
Forum Member

If you go to Download Management from your home button, you can see if your connected to your internet. We'd be notified if Nintendo would close the Nintendo Network for maintence.
Old 29-12-2012, 17:23
geordielady
Forum Member

would u have been willing to pay an extra 15/20+ for a more powerful battery? /interested
I am sure nintendo could have put a more powerful battery in for pennies and considering the high cost of this unit then a longer lasting battery should be the norm.
Old 29-12-2012, 17:37
SimonB79
Forum Member

I am sure nintendo could have put a more powerful battery in for pennies and considering the high cost of this unit then a longer lasting battery should be the norm.
the battery is probably the most expensive part of the device... they couldn't possibly include a higher capacity version without putting the price up ... they're already selling the machine @ a loss lol
Old 29-12-2012, 18:13
OMTT
Forum Member

Really liking my Wii U. Played quite a bit of Mario, mostly on the gamepad screen, and it's one of the best 2D Mario's I've played. It's starts off really easy but soon gets tricky & I've had to use a continue or 2 already. Once all the levels are completed, I'll be going back to get the star coins I missed.

Haven't really had much of a chance with ZombiU as my wife is off work on holiday, so I'm not getting much game time on the big TV. From what I've played, it's really atmospheric & the use of the game pad is very good with the scanner, radar etc but I'm finding it difficult. I've only got passed the supermarket but died about 6 times already. I think I'll start again on chicken

I've not had a chance to try the Sonic racers yet as my disc is faulty & I need to exchange it but I'm looking forward to getting online with that.

Mii verse is a really good feature in interacting with other gamers who have left comments and hints on parts of games you have played.

Looking forward to the release of Lego City, Scribblenauts, Pikmin, Rayman, Aliens and beyond.

Very happy with it
OMTT is offline   Reply With Quote