Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Best vintage tvs from 50s, 60s,70s.

Old 01-12-2012, 01:48
leslie123
Forum Member

Love to hear of some of your recollections from this era whether it be from a servicing point of view or from a viewing point of view. For me the Sony 1320 UB was an outstanding set of it' s time. Extremely reliable to the point where the tubes would start to fail before the components would give up. Never heard a bad word said against it. These sets were popular with the broadcasters too, being used as monitors by BBC and ITV. I even remember one sitting on the commentary table in 1975 and being used by Kent Walton for wrestling commentary at the Fairfield Halls, Croydon.
leslie123 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:48
ProDave
Forum Member

I had a Barco set once. I don't know it's model number or age, but it was a semi professional thing, way above any domestic model.

As with most of my tv's I got it faulty (no frame output) and fixed it. The manufacturer was really helpful, sent me a service manual FOC and sold me the mod kit to fix the frame fault (original frame driver IC was obsolete)

It had a huge range of AV inputs and it's build quality was very good and a delight to work on. And it's picture was very good. In fact I only sold it eventually because it disn't have remote control.

I still have my 1970's Sony KV1400UB in daily use. Yes that was another one that came to me with just a simple fault, it's tuner reference diode was drifting. Replaced that and it's been fault free for over 30 years now.
ProDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:15
mac2708
Forum Member

The name Barco sounded vaguely familiar and a quick google found these (amongst others)
http://www.golden-agetv.co.uk/equipm...?ProducerID=42
http://www.flickr.com/photos/picture...o2/3395819036/

The brand name appears to be still alive
http://www.hdtvsolutions.com/Barco_Flatscreens.htm
mac2708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:37
ianradioian
Forum Member

The mid 70s GEC colour sets seemed to go on forever,never went wrong,I cant remember the model,the first fully transistorised one.
ianradioian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 15:24
ProDave
Forum Member

The name Barco sounded vaguely familiar and a quick google found these (amongst others)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/picture...o2/3395819036/
That's the one I had.
ProDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 17:37
gds1972
Forum Member

We had a grundig TV when I was a kid and I don't think it ever went wrong. The thing I remember most about it was some weird square battery for the remote that had one of the corners cut off.
gds1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 20:48
Nigel Goodwin
Forum Member

We had a grundig TV when I was a kid and I don't think it ever went wrong. The thing I remember most about it was some weird square battery for the remote that had one of the corners cut off.
The remote was a TP400 - the battery something like a 7KD6?.

We were a major Grundig dealer, and sold huge numbers of those sets - I used to have all the parts in stock for the remotes for repairing them

They were fairly reliable sets, although most service agents wouldn't even look at Grundig sets, because they were a little different to what they were used to. We used to get Grundig sets brought in from far and wide for repair - nice little earners
Nigel Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 00:30
gds1972
Forum Member

The remote was a TP400 - the battery something like a 7KD6?.

We were a major Grundig dealer, and sold huge numbers of those sets - I used to have all the parts in stock for the remotes for repairing them

They were fairly reliable sets, although most service agents wouldn't even look at Grundig sets, because they were a little different to what they were used to. We used to get Grundig sets brought in from far and wide for repair - nice little earners
Thanks Nigel I just googled the TP400 and we had the version with the teletext buttons on it.
gds1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 00:52
jasonjimbob
Forum Member

I have still got, still working but out of use, is a Thorn 'Ultra' hybrid portable from the late 1960's.
It has a white coloured casing and only has 4 channels, a good performer,
jasonjimbob is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 15:26
Nigel Goodwin
Forum Member

Thanks Nigel I just googled the TP400 and we had the version with the teletext buttons on it.
In that case, TP400TT
Nigel Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 21:42
bobcar
Forum Member

Love to hear of some of your recollections from this era whether it be from a servicing point of view or from a viewing point of view. For me the Sony 1320 UB was an outstanding set of it' s time. Extremely reliable to the point where the tubes would start to fail before the components would give up. Never heard a bad word said against it. These sets were popular with the broadcasters too, being used as monitors by BBC and ITV. I even remember one sitting on the commentary table in 1975 and being used by Kent Walton for wrestling commentary at the Fairfield Halls, Croydon.
I had one of these and it was still working when I got rid of it 10 years ago. I'd modified it to accept RGB input to use it as a computer monitor before monitors became cheaply available but that didn't affect its reliability.
bobcar is online now   Reply With Quote