Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Should consoles go back to just playing games

Old 02-12-2012, 20:09
Jamesollier18
Forum Member

Should consoles just got back to being just gaming machines like they used to be or do you want the added extras even though you may have devices already that use them for playing DVD's, Blu Rays, Music etc
Jamesollier18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 02-12-2012, 20:11
Rich_L
Forum Member

Should PCs just do spreadsheets?
Rich_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 20:16
Jamesollier18
Forum Member

yes they should
Old 02-12-2012, 20:25
mikey86uk
Forum Member

Why?

PS3 and Xbox 360 do a very good job of doing both.
mikey86uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 20:29
Jamesollier18
Forum Member

I was thinking mainly for up and coming consoles if it helps keep costs down.
Old 02-12-2012, 20:41
mikey86uk
Forum Member

Doubt it very much, everything is already in place.
mikey86uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 21:03
whoever,hey
Forum Member

I was thinking mainly for up and coming consoles if it helps keep costs down.
how would it keep costs down?
whoever,hey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 21:13
steveOooo
Forum Member

No - my ps3 is my freeview pvr, bluray / DVD player, plays / streams video from PC, iplayer, Netflix oh and it also plays games! One box under the tv - great!
steveOooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 21:23
Jamesollier18
Forum Member

if you where getting a PS4 that did all that as well would you be OK with that, would you sell the PS 3 to make way for the 4th because it could do all that and was a new gaming machine
Old 02-12-2012, 21:36
Steveaustin316
Forum Member

There's nothing stopping anyone using a console for gaming alone and not using any of the other features.
Steveaustin316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 23:25
kendoguk
Forum Member

I only use my Xbox for gaming never use the apps and that
kendoguk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 23:37
vampirek
Forum Member

Should consoles just got back to being just gaming machines like they used to be or do you want the added extras even though you may have devices already that use them for playing DVD's, Blu Rays, Music etc
I wouldn't even call these added extras considering consoles have a hard drive (so music is easily added) and use DVD's/Blu Rays for the games... so nothing is added. It would be a very stupid move not include them. Not just that, those you mentioned have helped changed the gaming consoles in a way we thought not possible 20 years ago.

Things like Netflix etc, aren't necessarily important but they are optional things rather than added extras
vampirek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:36
MartinImber
Forum Member

I wouldn't even call these added extras considering consoles have a hard drive (so music is easily added) and use DVD's/Blu Rays for the games... so nothing is added. It would be a very stupid move not include them. Not just that, those you mentioned have helped changed the gaming consoles in a way we thought not possible 20 years ago.

Things like Netflix etc, aren't necessarily important but they are optional things rather than added extras
These "Extras" have helped to establish formats BluRay won due to PS3, PS3 helped with DVD even though the cheap Samsung did more for DVD
MartinImber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:41
NorfolkBoy1
Forum Member

If these capabilities were not there I would have to seriously consider if upgrading to the next gen of consoles was worthwhile.
NorfolkBoy1 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:46
heyrehair
Forum Member

No no no no no no no
heyrehair is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:34
XxBlaKOuTZxX
Forum Member

NO because they aren't just gaming consoles now.
XxBlaKOuTZxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:04
Rich_L
Forum Member

I appreciate the PS3 because its one less 'box' I have to have under the telly if I want to watch a blu ray or a dvd.

Dunno about how other people get on with it, but it's like cable junction behind my telly.
Rich_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:36
XxBlaKOuTZxX
Forum Member

I appreciate the PS3 because its one less 'box' I have to have under the telly if I want to watch a blu ray or a dvd.

Dunno about how other people get on with it, but it's like cable junction behind my telly.
That's the downside of having all these consoles and STB's connected to your main TV. I have a home cinema and have my Ps3 and Xbox360 connected to it so I get the best sound from them but the wires down the back are so unsightly.
XxBlaKOuTZxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:41
Flawed-Tactics
Forum Member

No. I like being able to rent a movie, play some music, catch up on some TV, all without having to put my PC on, just the TV and the PS3 or Xbox.

I wouldn't like just a games machine, not at the price we pay for them.
Flawed-Tactics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:44
steveOooo
Forum Member

if you where getting a PS4 that did all that as well would you be OK with that, would you sell the PS 3 to make way for the 4th because it could do all that and was a new gaming machine
If it had freeview HD,, 2-3tb drive upgrade option, could play ps3 and all the psn games ive bought / psn plus continues then yes - perhaps wait a year or so as new consoles seem to have issues - YLROD, RROD etc!!

Play TV (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...tag=mysp085-21 ) you're able to turn the ps3 into a 1tb freeview PVR - although, you can't get Freeview HD presently.

A HDD like this - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...tag=mysp085-21 would be spot on! Note as well, play tv Upscaled the sd image - certainly the best freeview sd image I've ever seen.

The ps3 is the only box under my tv - I've never used a Xbox so it's one sided

Oh, and you can get a remote to control the ps3 and TV too with the v2.0 remote control (around 18 from amazon on import - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...tag=mysp085-21 )
Old 03-12-2012, 12:54
Gormond
Forum Member

If it had freeview HD,, 2-3tb drive upgrade option, could play ps3 and all the psn games ive bought / psn plus continues then yes - perhaps wait a year or so as new consoles seem to have issues - YLROD, RROD etc!!

Play TV (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...tag=mysp085-21 ) you're able to turn the ps3 into a 1tb freeview PVR - although, you can't get Freeview HD presently.

A HDD like this - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...tag=mysp085-21 would be spot on! Note as well, play tv Upscaled the sd image - certainly the best freeview sd image I've ever seen.

The ps3 is the only box under my tv - I've never used a Xbox so it's one sided

Oh, and you can get a remote to control the ps3 and TV too with the v2.0 remote control (around 18 from amazon on import - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...tag=mysp085-21 )
I didn't realise there was a V2 of the remote, does it turn the PS3 on when you press any button like the one? I really hate that feature!
Gormond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 13:24
steveOooo
Forum Member

I didn't realise there was a V2 of the remote, does it turn the PS3 on when you press any button like the one? I really hate that feature!
It doesn't, if you turn the tv off after turning the ps3 off / or just press 'tv' which deactivates all the buttons.
There's a seperate 'ps3 on' button - so only one button to turn the ps3 on instead of 'all'

For some weird reason, it's not avail. In Europe - I paid 18 from amazon, sent from within the uk - works fine with UK Sony TV/ ps3 etc... Only bummer, play, pause buttons sometimes bit fiddily to use vs the big buttons of the old remote
Old 03-12-2012, 14:37
Callous
Forum Member

I think the extra "non-gaming" stuff is fine... as long as it doesn't increase the hardware cost to all consumers.

For instance a streaming movie /tv service is fine as it's up to the consumer to choose if they want to pay and it doesn't increase the hardware price...

...but I would rather not have the additional costs for licensing the abilty to play DVD/blu-ray included in the console price. Far fairer to allow people to pay to download a key to unlock the functionality..rather than charging all consumers for functionality that many will not want.
Callous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 23:30
Scrubber
Forum Member

Not necessarily but i'd like them to give priority focus to gaming, most seem to be trying to turn the consoles into media devices rather than gaming consoles.
Scrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:57
Jambob
Forum Member

As long as the focus is on gaming the extra functions are fine. I don't think Sony will try to cram anything like as much tech into their next console though, they got hit hard by the off-putting price point and the loss they had to swallow on each unit sold last time.
Jambob is offline   Reply With Quote